I know this is a long shot but....

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Was there ever a guy who called himself "Edgy" on this forum?

An English fellow with the user name Edgy used to post on one of the American forums.

He's the only other guy I knew from an internet golf forum who ever bagged a Lovett wedge (my avatar) for a while.

He was also a proponent of a driving club called a "thriver." That's a full sized 460 cc driver head with 3-wood loft and a 4 or 5-wood length shaft.

Interesting fellow, but I haven't heard from him for years.

I thought that since he frequented internet golf forums, there was an outside chance that he may have hung out here for a while.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
[QUOTE="Ye Olde Boomer, post: 2098602, member: 27266"
He's the only other guy I knew from an internet golf forum who ever bagged a Lovett wedge (my avatar) for a while.
[/QUOTE]

Going back 15 or so years ago, the son in law of a mate of mine had a Lovett for a couple of years and used to swear by it, ended up swearing at it. Wasn't Edgy though. Another guy I play with half a dozen times a year has a similar type of wedge with so much loft that he's going to knock his teeth out some day :giggle:

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
The Lovett has a very curved leading edge, onset in front of the shaft, that blows up a narrow rooster tail of sand instead of a big cloud.

It's almost impossible to leave your ball in a fluffy sand bunker with it. (We don't have your "pot" bunkers which look obscene to me.)

I'm playing a Callaway Sure Out 2 right now, but the Lovett, with its 63º of loft, is always ready to step in.

I went to the Sure Out because one can at least try a flop shot from the fringe with it, although I wouldn't bet my house on success.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
The Lovett has a very curved leading edge, onset in front of the shaft, that blows up a narrow rooster tail of sand instead of a big cloud.

It's almost impossible to leave your ball in a fluffy sand bunker with it. (We don't have your "pot" bunkers which look obscene to me.)

I'm playing a Callaway Sure Out 2 right now, but the Lovett, with its 63º of loft, is always ready to step in.

I went to the Sure Out because one can at least try a flop shot from the fringe with it, although I wouldn't bet my house on success.

The Sure Out 64° helped cure my bunker woes a year or so back, I've recently replaced it with a 60° Taylormade Hitoe as its more versatile in other situations

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site

The Lovett would be no good in our bunkers, been under 6” of water most of the winter. Ball retriever is the best thing to use at the moment. ???

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
I found another one--specialty sand iron, that is-- and another way to stay under fifteen clubs.

Years, ago, I had a Ray Cook mallet putter. It's still in my putter bag, in fact.
Ray Cook is a much lesser player than it was back then, but they still have a website.
And on it is a true specialty sand iron.

These were once common. As course design and maintenance changed to encourage target golf over the classic run up game, players wanted sand wedges more easily hit from the turf.
The true sand iron with curved leading edge onset in front of the shaft gradually disappeared. Hardly any manufacturers make them any more.

Ray Cook does, and it's quite inexpensive to boot. Installing a shaft and grip to match the other irons knocks the bargain status right off it, however.

Still, by cutting back from four metalwoods to three, one has room for both a modern finesse wedge and an old time specialty sand iron.

old and new.png