I have a pull Hook, please help if you can !

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I am hitting my clubs really well but i have noticed a tendency to pull hook

I am a right hander, shot starts a tad left of target and spins further left ( like a mini draw )at the end

This isnt a hook as such but a pull hook

I have assumed it must be a slight out to in path still with a closed face ??

Grip didnt change it , but ....

My shoulder alignment at address is slightly open but not by much to be fair

I can force a push shot to the right if i align my shoulders to the right of target slightly at address

This makes me think it must be shoulders at address ??

Any advice please, sorry no video to show

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
you have to be careful with phrases like 'out to in path' - you can't get the hook element without 'in to out'; but the real issue then becomes what's the datum!

it's been a problem shot for me, esp driving, for some time - but I've got it to the point that I honestly mean 'where did that come from' when it pops up occassionally now! Mine is a function of a strong grip, taking away inside, the right elbow getting out of control, poor transition and hitting from the top......your's may, or may not, come from one or more of these!

see a pro (or post a video)

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think you can get the pull element from an out to in, the hook i think is the spin from the closed face ?

I am confident of what causes it path and club face for defo, but hard as i try it remains

Its a minor one as well which is why its so annoying, approx 10 / 15 yds left of target most of the time

Grip is strong 2/3 knuckles but i had that to tame my slice which i never get anymore

My backswing path is good not as far behind in my old swing, happy the plane is good to the top

As mentioned could it be open shoulders perhaps, if i force then closed i hit a push to the right so i guess somewhere between the two ?

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Its a minor one as well which is why its so annoying, approx 10 / 15 yds left of target most of the time

That doesn't sound like a hook to me.

Pull with slight Draw would be more like it, Hook is the one that turns 30-50 yards left!

And definitely worth video-ing your swing to 'spot the difference' when it happens. You'll almost certainly be able to see it best yourself, as you'll remember the feelings of the good and bad swings.

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yes you are right pull with slight turn to the left at the end, like a pull with a tad of draw

So pull must be out to in path allbeit slight and the draw must be due to anti clockwise spin side spin all the ball from club face

I will try my shoulder alignment idea, and focus hard on the path

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
, Hook is the one that turns 30-50 yards left!

I hope i am not on the adjacent left fairway when you turn one over!:lol:

To answer the OP - shoulders can cause a pull hook - usually insufficient shoulder turn. How alignment affects that I am not so sure but if you align square, work n a full shoulder turn.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Impossible to know the cause without seeing a video but a common cause is an 'over the top' shoulder movement leading to pulling the ball left. If your clubface is open you will slice and if it's closed you will pull hook.

Next time you go to the range, work on making sure your right shoulder is coming through under your chin to promote an in to out path.

And a video from behind would be a great help to confirm :thup:

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think you can get the pull element from an out to in, the hook i think is the spin from the closed face ?

The pull comes from a slightly closed face, and the draw/hook spin by the path being to the right (if you're right handed) of the face angle.
If you had an out to in swing and the face was closed to that path I think you'd end up much further left than 15yds!

I'd hazard a guess that your swing path is pretty good (ie. towards the target) and you just have the face a touch closed at impact.

Pinch of salt etc though.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've just posted a reply but it has to be approved.

I think the mention of ball flight laws may have triggered an alarm somewhere :D

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've just posted a reply but it has to be approved.

I think the mention of ball flight laws may have triggered an alarm somewhere :D

and over 12 hours later it's not been cleared....now what did you post!!! (I've got one regarding gloves in the bin somewhere from a few hours ago too...)

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
If you had an out to in swing and the face was closed to that path I think you'd end up much further left than 15yds!

I agree, or certainly START more left.

It's not possible to tell the path it could be any of the three... but it doesn't sound like your path is too far away from being straight. All that can be concluded is that whatever path you're swinging on your clubface is slightly closed to it at impact.