I feel a bit daft asking this

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Earlier this week, I told someone it was still a penalty if you were putting on the green and your ball hit another, they said no its not under the new rules. I tried to find it in the rules book but couldn't but I don't remember that being something that had changed.

So who was correct?

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Earlier this week, I told someone it was still a penalty if you were putting on the green and your ball hit another, they said no its not under the new rules. I tried to find it in the rules book but couldn't but I don't remember that being something that had changed.

So who was correct?
Still a 2 shot pen as far as I know. I did this the other day!

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

So who was correct?
11.1a Exception
Ball Played on Putting Green in Stroke Play:
If the player’s ball in motion hits another ball at rest on the putting green and both balls were on the putting greenbefore the stroke, the player gets the general penalty (two penalty strokes).

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
In stroke play it incurs the "general penalty" ( see the exception in rule 11.1 ). In match play there is still no penalty.

(edit .... too slow at typing..... )

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
for reference

11.1 Ball in Motion Accidentally Hits Person or Outside Influence

Exception – Ball Played on Putting Green in Stroke Play: If the player’s ball in motion hits another ball at rest on the putting green and both balls were on the putting green before the stroke, the player gets the general penalty (two penalty strokes).

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nearly hit another players ball with an outrageously bad putt on Monday. The penalty wouldn't have mattered: the putt was the last chance of salvaging a stableford point. :( I hadn't played for a month but I did achieve a personal best: I had the highest number of blobs since my records began.

Last edited:
Visit site
We had a situation last week in a comp where
  • Player A hit Drive OOB then 3-off the tee OOB
  • We other three players then hit fairway and then played to the green
  • Player A then decided to drop a ball and play the hole (but 'out' of the hole - t'was a stableford comp)
  • His ball ended up about 12 foot away from the flag - he didn't mark it (one of those who rarely mark - drives me crazy )
  • Meanwhile Player B (just off the green) chipped up and narrowly missed player As ball
  • As I watched I wondered what the penalty may be for Player B had he hit Player A's ball (as technically I assumed he was not in play)
Thoughts?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
  • Player A then decided to drop a ball and play the hole (but 'out' of the hole - t'was a stableford comp)
  • His ball ended up about 12 foot away from the flag - he didn't mark it (one of those who rarely mark - drives me crazy )
  • Meanwhile Player B (just off the green) chipped up and narrowly missed player As ball
  • As I watched I wondered what the penalty may be for Player B had he hit Player A's ball (as technically I assumed he was not in play)
Thoughts?

As Player A's ball is not 'in play' doesn't it just have the same status as say an empty bottle of Lambrusco would if it was lying on the green (& no penalty for either)

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thoughts?

There would be no penalty because he was playing from off the green, also the penalty is for the person playing the shot not the player whose ball it is.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There is no penalty as he was off the green .
But if it was me I would be asking him to mark his ball as it’s in my way.

Playing your course on Sunday ,looking forward to it now I know where I am going.
What’s it like with all the bad weather we have had?

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thoughts?
If B had played from on the green, the same penalty would have applied. NB It doesn't say anything about the other ball being a ball in play

If the player’s ball in motion hits another ball at rest on the putting green and both balls were on the putting green before the stroke, the player gets the general penalty (two penalty strokes).

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If B had played from on the green, the same penalty would have applied. NB It doesn't say anything about the other ball being a ball in play

If the player’s ball in motion hits another ball at rest on the putting green and both balls were on the putting green before the stroke, the player gets the general penalty (two penalty strokes).
Is it the same if the ball on the green is from a driving range or wild tee shot from another hole, so on a wrong green?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes, given the statement in comment #14. I don't see why the player wouldn't just move it though, if it was likely they'd hit it.
Are you allowed to move somebody’s ball without permission given they could be 250yds away .
They may not even know where it’s gone so aren’t looking for it.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Are you allowed to move somebody’s ball without permission given they could be 250yds away .
They may not even know where it’s gone so aren’t looking for it.

When 'ready golf' is appropriate, if a ball is played on the green and I am ready to putt then I will often mark the ball and put it to the side. I'd always just mention to the player that I'm just marking his ball while I play. Do I seek their permission? I guess so. But it's just really as a courtesy. And if they said - No - I don't want it marked and moved. I'd think I'd still still mark it.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When 'ready golf' is appropriate, if a ball is played on the green and I am ready to putt then I will often mark the ball and put it to the side. I'd always just mention to the player that I'm just marking his ball while I play. Do I seek their permission? I guess so. But it's just really as a courtesy. And if they said - No - I don't want it marked and moved. I'd think I'd still still mark it.
You can’t ask him if he’s not there though !
If it’s someone in your own game.
I am pretty sure he can’t refuse to mark a ball in your line but he has the option to play it rather than mark.