I bought today.....

Springveldt

Visit site
470 yard par 4... ouch!

Really like those ball markers though, great mementos
We've got a 462 yard par 4 from the white's that goes east to west so is normally into the breeze as well. I probably hit the green 10% of the time I play it. Can only normally reach it during the summer months with hard fairways and no wind. If we have the standard 10mph west wind I'm struggling to reach it.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
We've got a 462 yard par 4 from the white's that goes east to west so is normally into the breeze as well. I probably hit the green 10% of the time I play it. Can only normally reach it during the summer months with hard fairways and no wind. If we have the standard 10mph west wind I'm struggling to reach it.

Both our par 5's aren't that long :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Springveldt

Visit site
A pair of Adidas Codechaos shoes at a bargain price of £65. Not the prettiest but I've got a pair of black and navy blue shorts that they will go with.

I bought these ones from Adidas a couple of months ago when I had a 30% off code https://www.adidas.co.uk/s2g-sl-golf-shoes/GV9422.html but after 2 rounds in them I'm not sure if they are comfy enough after wearing Tour Boost shoes for the last year. They feel a little narrow and last round with the hard fairways the soles of my feet were feeling it walking down the 18th.
The CodeChaos arrived last Friday so wore them Saturday. Very, very comfortable as expected with Adidas Boost shoes but maybe black wasn't the best choice and my feet felt quite hot in them with the sun. Still have to take a change of shoes though as we aren't allowed in the clubhouse with golf shoes on, even spikeless ones.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The CodeChaos arrived last Friday so wore them Saturday. Very, very comfortable as expected with Adidas Boost shoes but maybe black wasn't the best choice and my feet felt quite hot in them with the sun. Still have to take a change of shoes though as we aren't allowed in the clubhouse with golf shoes on, even spikeless ones.
I’d recommend buying some odur spray to use after each round. I’ve had 2 pairs of these, the first one had to be binned after a year, the smell was horrendous! Thought the cat was p*ssing in them at first but realised that the waterproof material and snug fit not only keeps moisture out but also stops air getting out and makes your feet sweat. They were very comfy though and so I’ve bought a second pair, used the spray since day 1 and they’ve been fine.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I didn't realise you could have a par 5 that "short". I play our 12th as a par 5 in my mind, it probably accounts for most of the extra 1.1 course rating over par.

Ours are both around the 450 mark, both play more difficult than the yardage suggests - and were not a particularly long course but I've played plenty of 450/60 par 5's across various courses

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Reminds me of the horrific second hole at my old club. 470 yard par 4 off the whites, and the tee shot was uphill, and with a ditch directly in front of you with the fairway to the left of it - so if you're a fader like me and most people, it was hard work to even keep it in play let alone have any chance of reaching the green in two. In my last two years of playing there (2019 & 2020) I parred it once - average score was a 6. I remember one time in the club championships I got a 9 and 'won' the hole because the other two members of my group got 11 & 12. 😄 It was just baffling to us that it wasn't a par 5.

DPapas1982

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
That’s from the tips, you wouldn’t be playing back there unless in an elite comp. From the whites it’s still a good hole, but the wind is often behind and the tee is a little elevated so you can cut the corner if you can carry a good ball. That reduces the approach to a wedge. Not as scary as it sounds. Unless you’re off the tips. In which case you’re probably a plus handicap and will whack it over the corner anyway. Or attempt to, put it a mile wide, and still manage to get it out, up and down for par. 🤣 It’s the next hole you need to fear, going back into the wind on that par 3 is no joke!

They have a big even there in couple of weeks. Played the whites on satirday and quite a few from the tips as they were protecting the tee boxes certainly made the course tough. Wind was actually the opposite way too, so the par 3 was quite doable.

The carries on many holes were touch and go for a lot of us.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
They have a big even there in couple of weeks. Played the whites on satirday and quite a few from the tips as they were protecting the tee boxes certainly made the course tough. Wind was actually the opposite way too, so the par 3 was quite doable.

The carries on many holes were touch and go for a lot of us.

Is this where you put the photo of Simon up?

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Only for pros/ elite AMs though surely.. Id not threaten that green in 2 at all.

The yardages for the hole are:
Blue = 481
White = 481
Yellow = 472 (which is what we played it at with hickory clubs, I took four to reach the green 😳 )

For many years long par fours were generally out of reach for mid to high handicap club golfers, it's only been the recent gains from technology that have convinced those same players that they should be able to reach them in two now.
Is this a good thing? Most would answer yes but in reality they're just playing a far easier game than their predecessors did.