I’ve done a boo boo - putter lengthening

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi all,

I need to stop combining drinking alcohol with online shopping for golf gear.

Bought a new putter whilst drunk. It arrived, I excitedly unwrapped it, took all the cellophane off, ooh, looks lovely. Took it out on the course, felt lovely but feels a bit short? Got home, checked the order, gone and ordered a 33” instead of 34”. Idiot.

So, how does one go about removing the grip (which is lovely), extending it and getting said grip back on? Will a pro do this? And are there any downsides to extending the shaft?

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
A good pro will be able to remove the grip with the help of some stiff wire & white spirit, I've seen it done. Extending it by 1" will make no material difference. The swingweight will change & the shaft will be more whippy but I don't think any human would be able to detect the difference!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi all,

I need to stop combining drinking alcohol with online shopping for golf gear.

Bought a new putter whilst drunk. It arrived, I excitedly unwrapped it, took all the cellophane off, ooh, looks lovely. Took it out on the course, felt lovely but feels a bit short? Got home, checked the order, gone and ordered a 33” instead of 34”. Idiot.

So, how does one go about removing the grip (which is lovely), extending it and getting said grip back on? Will a pro do this? And are there any downsides to extending the shaft?

Any chance of returning it for an exchange for the correct length?

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A good pro will be able to remove the grip with the help of some stiff wire & white spirit, I've seen it done. Extending it by 1" will make no material difference. The swingweight will change & the shaft will be more whippy but I don't think any human would be able to detect the difference!
How hard do you swing your putter?!?!? :eek:

Singlefiguregokfer

Visit site
My pro added 1.5 inches to my spider, it’s made the world of difference to my back.
I’ve not noticed any difference in how it swings/whippyness.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think the main effect of lengthening the shaft will be that the shaft is longer. It might affect lie angle by a couple of degrees, or swingweight by a tiny fraction, but you surely won't notice that on a 6 to 18 inch swing of a club.

Difficult part might be getting that grip off without damaging it. I've heard you need an air compression machine thingy to do that and not every pro will have one of those.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think the main effect of lengthening the shaft will be that the shaft is longer. It might affect lie angle by a couple of degrees, or swingweight by a tiny fraction, but you surely won't notice that on a 6 to 18 inch swing of a club.

Difficult part might be getting that grip off without damaging it. I've heard you need an air compression machine thingy to do that and not every pro will have one of those.
I have removed grips with the air compressor off a car , the small ones you get with your puncture kit.

Use a air bed adapter.

If you use the wire method just be careful you don’t scratch the shaft..

Clean it until it sparkles and just ask if you can exchange it, most golf shops understand mistakes are made.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Any pro who has a workshop will be able to do it.
Remove the grip using a white spirit syringe.
Cut down an old shaft and glue it in.
Wait a few hours for glue to dry
Cut to length
Tape up the new piece so flush with original shaft
Refit the grip.
Done.
When I used to do it I charged £5
Nowadays probably more

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Great, thanks for the advice all, much appreciated. I’ll have a chat with our pro at the weekend, see if he can do it.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think the main effect of lengthening the shaft will be that the shaft is longer.

Wow! 🤯

Back to the OP, I had my scotty extended to 35” as the model only comes in 33” & 34”. I noticed no effect to the swing weight.

The shop I used did it with a proper bung and also a new grip (flatso) for £40.00 all in but I did have another done a few years back. The pro shop charged £10 to blow off the old grip, fit the plug and reinstall the grip

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Wow! 🤯

Back to the OP, I had my scotty extended to 35” as the model only comes in 33” & 34”. I noticed no effect to the swing weight.

The shop I used did it with a proper bung and also a new grip (flatso) for £40.00 all in but I did have another done a few years back. The pro shop charged £10 to blow off the old grip, fit the plug and reinstall the grip

So the main effect was that the shaft was longer?

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Any pro who has a workshop will be able to do it.
Remove the grip using a white spirit syringe.
Cut down an old shaft and glue it in.
Wait a few hours for glue to dry
Cut to length
Tape up the new piece so flush with original shaft
Refit the grip.
Done.
When I used to do it I charged £5
Nowadays probably more
I have often lengthened and shortened clubs and when lengthening have always bought the extenders to do the job, and for what they are, they are not cheap. I lengthened the lob wedge today using a bit of shaft that was lying around, and it worked a treat.

|Top tip, cheers (y)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I have often lengthened and shortened clubs and when lengthening have always bought the extenders to do the job, and for what they are, they are not cheap. I lengthened the lob wedge today using a bit of shaft that was lying around, and it worked a treat.

|Top tip, cheers (y)
It works a treat, as long as you apply layers of tape to the extension to make it flush with the original shaft.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I lengthened a putter 1” once and didn’t put anything in the shaft.!
I loosened the grip with white spirit and just pulled it back a bit.
These modern grips are so solid especially superstroke ones you can’t tell the difference.

It might not change the swingweight but that’s just a quess.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Pro charged me £10 to get the grip off, extend it and stick the grip back on, looks brand new. Don’t feel so bad about my drunken purchase now!