What difference does extending a putter shaft make?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's really not that hard.

Now it's starting to make sense.

You asked a question that had a few answers.

Had you said " I currently use a 35" putter and I'm 6ft" then the answer would've been a simple No.

Standard putters range from 33-35 as humans height variates.

A 35" putter would be useless for a 5ft human as would a 33" for 6ft6" human.

Do you now understand?
You've just read miles too far into what I was asking. I only wanted to know if extending the shaft can affect the putter in a negative way. There was no question about whether it's the right length for me at all.

I'm pretty satisfied from the answers now that it will be fine anyway.

Ok so in theory it will increaee the swingweight, how much this effects you is all guesswork, personally i wouldnt worry too much. As a guide scotty cameron headwight reduces by 10g per inch of putter length. However many (most) other brands dont change headweight. So your current 35 inch may already feel identical to the evnroll. Swingweight in putters is subjective at tge best of times, throw in a gravity grip and its 100% feel based. So I'd suggest no issue there.

Personally ive extended a scottey from 33 to 35 (circa 62 model so no weight ports) with no issue.

Lengthening will also effect the lie angle of the putter making it play more upright, i.e. the toe will be higher at address. Adding 1 inch makes the putter play about 4 degrees more upright.
Thanks for that. As you suggested, they've said the gravity grip will help with balance anyway, and that they will 'check the swing weight and adjust if necessary'. So should be fine.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
You've just read miles too far into what I was asking. I only wanted to know if extending the shaft can affect the putter in a negative way. There was no question about whether it's the right length for me at all.

Thanks for that. As you suggested, they've said the gravity grip will help with balance anyway, and that they will 'check the swing weight and adjust if necessary'. So should be fine.

Much like irons, if the lie angle is wrong you will struggle to hit the ball straight, in this case start the ball on the line you think you're aiming along.

Buying online without trying it first is nuts, but it's your wife's money so fill your boots if you want to.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Much like irons, if the lie angle is wrong you will struggle to hit the ball straight, in this case start the ball on the line you think you're aiming along.

Buying online without trying it first is nuts, but it's your wife's money so fill your boots if you want to.
Funnily enough I actually grip down a little bit anyway as I like to feel the top of the grip against my left wrist. I'm happy to try it, I doubt it'll be far wrong. If it's no good I'm fairy confident we can sell it on without losing too much.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Funnily enough I actually grip down a little bit anyway as I like to feel the top of the grip against my left wrist. I'm happy to try it, I doubt it'll be far wrong. If it's no good I'm fairy confident we can sell it on without losing too much.

The lie of the putter doesn't change based on where you grip it so not sure why you used that fact in reply.

But as I said above, it's your wife's money so if you want to go down the trial and error route that's entirely your own decision.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
You won't notice any difference.
Having said that, it's a complete waste of someone's money, in my opinion.
Better off spending it on a weekend away at a nice course/spa

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You won't notice any difference.
Having said that, it's a complete waste of someone's money, in my opinion.
Better off spending it on a weekend away at a nice course/spa
A putter I could use for 10 years is a waste but spending it all on one weekend/two rounds of golf isn't? We have very different values. :D

D

Deleted member 1147

A putter I could use for 10 years is a waste but spending it all on one weekend/two rounds of golf isn't? We have very different values. :D
But will it last 10 years, or will you be hankering after the next magic wand to sort your game?

D

Deleted member 1740

I answered your open ended question.

I quote "Does having an extended shaft make any discernible difference, i.e. to weight, balance or anything??"

Anything? What is anything? In fact jib it?

Good luck with your new putter.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wow, I really have to stop asking for advice on here. I'm actually shocked no one's told me to spend it on putting lessons instead yet.

And don't rule out getting your arms shortened if you like the putter but find it too long. It's not THAT painful and I can recommend a very good guy who did my wife's arms so she can't reach into my pockets...

evemccc

Visit site
It may affect balance, but I don't know for sure.

Standard putter length these days seems to be 34 - I use 34 and am over 6ft, so I'd imagine unless you're taller than me you'd better off with 34 anyway, as it means you can get over the ball better and have your arms hang down straighter.

Agree with this. I have a 34 and I’m 6 ft 2. I have been fitted with different lengths on the same putter and I found better accuracy for 34 (I like to get close to the ball and my eye right over it)
So unless you are much taller than me, or we have a vastly different setup, then you’ll be good with 34

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Maybe try and find another 34" shaft putter at a proshop or golf shop and try it out. At least it'll tell you if 34" is wrong for you... or help at least.

D

Deleted member 18588

Agree with this. I have a 34 and I’m 6 ft 2. I have been fitted with different lengths on the same putter and I found better accuracy for 34 (I like to get close to the ball and my eye right over it)
So unless you are much taller than me, or we have a vastly different setup, then you’ll be good with 34
Rather depends upon the individual and their method of putting.

I am 3ins shorter than yourself but I could never be comfortable with a 34ins putter as I feel that it would result in my hands becoming too active in the stroke.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Buying random stuff online because you like the look of it (note I did not say believe the PR/sales pitch) is fun, realistically the amateur is so inconsistent they would get away with anything if they had the honesty to admit they are the “broken bit”. Used to get rental clubs all the time when I was on my play on every continent challenge .. only asked for a driver with a stiff shaft and that was the limit. Scores were fine and fun was had ??.
As for lengthening by 1” .. no noticeable impact , your putting won’t dramatically improve or degrade .. go purchase and have fun !
As for Bob’s suggestion it holds great merit as it’s not a 1 day experience it’s a lifetime memory ( up until you forget, that is) . Some memories are great to have and others are poor.. but when I have played golf somewhere I always remember the good stuff.
Oh and if the missus is buying remember to do a shoe audit or check your wardrobe for her clothes that have made it in ( don’t highlight this with your arse is too big for that , though… this is apparently offensive and leads to stoney silence and sleeping on the couch) .. generosity hides bad behaviours ( like carbon offsetting) .

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Buying random stuff online because you like the look of it (note I did not say believe the PR/sales pitch) is fun, realistically the amateur is so inconsistent they would get away with anything if they had the honesty to admit they are the “broken bit”. Used to get rental clubs all the time when I was on my play on every continent challenge .. only asked for a driver with a stiff shaft and that was the limit. Scores were fine and fun was had ??.
As for lengthening by 1” .. no noticeable impact , your putting won’t dramatically improve or degrade .. go purchase and have fun !
As for Bob’s suggestion it holds great merit as it’s not a 1 day experience it’s a lifetime memory ( up until you forget, that is) . Some memories are great to have and others are poor.. but when I have played golf somewhere I always remember the good stuff.
Oh and if the missus is buying remember to do a shoe audit or check your wardrobe for her clothes that have made it in ( don’t highlight this with your arse is too big for that , though… this is apparently offensive and leads to stoney silence and sleeping on the couch) .. generosity hides bad behaviours ( like carbon offsetting) .
Thanks for this, all fair comments I think. My old (current) putter was fitted, but the fitting was not wildly different from standard, since he let me take it home immediately, so no adjustments made. I think the key info was 35 inch length and a toe-hang, and I've matched that with the new one - I've just always fancied an Evnroll, plus the gravity grip sounded interesting, I saw a couple of videos that said it works well in keeping the face pretty straight. If I don't like it, I'll sell it on and nobody will die I shouldn't think.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
My reply came in 2 parts.
Get it extended to 35 inches and it will be fine, you won't notice any difference.
The second part was based on 50 years experience.
So you get the putter, you don't like it and you sell it on.
1. How much is someone going to pay for a second hand putter?
2. How's your wife going to react when she finds out you've sold her present?
3 How many smarty points are you going to earn taking her away on a spa weekend?