What difference does extending a putter shaft make?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My reply came in 2 parts.
Get it extended to 35 inches and it will be fine, you won't notice any difference.
The second part was based on 50 years experience.
So you get the putter, you don't like it and you sell it on.
1. How much is someone going to pay for a second hand putter?
2. How's your wife going to react when she finds out you've sold her present?
3 How many smarty points are you going to earn taking her away on a spa weekend?
1. I dunno, 250 ish.
2. She would want me to spend the money on a replacement present.
3. Why would I be taking her away, it's my birthday not hers. :LOL:

Thanks though Bob. Incidentally we are potentially going to Scotland end of next week and she was talking about booking a nice course/resort up there for us as well. (y)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Lengthening a putter can affect the feel as longer putters tend to have lighter heads than shorter ones for swingweight purposes.
A 34" putter may have a head weight of around 350g, a 35" 340 and a 33" 360..
So lengthening a 34 to 35 will make the head feel heavier.
Whether this is good or bad is entirely up to how it feels to you.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
With Camerons, adding an inch used to mean the head weight should be reduced by 10g to maintain swing weight, but putters have got a bit heavier recently, and some manufacturers have moved away from varying head weight.

Edit: Damn, sweaty sock has already said that.

I think that it has also become more popular to recommend players towards short putters for greater accuracy of strike. 34" is probably now the standard for many brands. I used a 35" for decades but switched to a 33.5" recently. I am around 6' if I stand up straight.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The only thing I would check is that they are using a steel extension and not a plastic one. The plastic ones can bend.

I am only 5'9-10". I have always used a 35" putter .

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I use all sorts and all lengths, you soon adjust to a putter, if you like the look of it then buy it. (y)

The only putters of mine I really struggle with are:
- A nylon headed Gowers Brown "Lifesaver" which just feels dead of the face.
- A Slazenger "Lucky 13" which is a very short headed putter and anything other than hitting the ball right out of the sweet spot means trouble, although I've only used it for 9 holes, perhaps it deserves a full 18 to be sure?

1630948996554.png

1630948938566.png

(I'm currently on fire with a 1970s John Letters "Golden Goose", probably 35")

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s not just a persons height that determines shaft length.
The length of your arms makes the biggest difference.
So 6’2” short arms = long shaft.
6’ 2” long arms shorter shaft.
But I dought you will notice 10g at all.

essexguy194

Visit site
Before you buy that - try a LAB..

I know they look insane but my god, I used one the other day (another member has one) it is the smoothest/ best thing ive ever felt to putt with! Madness honestly!

Sorry if this is a stupid question... Never heard of one of these do you mean as in https://labgolf.com/ or Odyssey Stroke Lab type? In the market for a putter currently :)

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Sorry if this is a stupid question... Never heard of one of these do you mean as in https://labgolf.com/ or Odyssey Stroke Lab type? In the market for a putter currently :)

Yeah the link you sent!

I dont own one, but man I want to! They're not cheap, they're not the best looking, but man I am now obsessed with that putter. Feels incredible and just holds lines like nothing I've used.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I see from the i bought today thread this has now arrived.

How did it turn out?
Well it looks the part, and the weight is similar to old one which is good I think (less time for me to adjust). The gravity grip feels really nice. I haven't tested on a proper course yet though, just a little par 3 one.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah the link you sent!

I dont own one, but man I want to! They're not cheap, they're not the best looking, but man I am now obsessed with that putter. Feels incredible and just holds lines like nothing I've used.
Looks good but the price is eye watering plus VAT :eek:

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well it looks the part, and the weight is similar to old one which is good I think (less time for me to adjust). The gravity grip feels really nice. I haven't tested on a proper course yet though, just a little par 3 one.

Will take a while to get used to it in conjunction with your new 1 inch shorter arms.