Hybrids are the devil's own clubs; how about driving irons?

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've finally accepted, after years of trying to hit them and failing miserably, that hybrids just aren't for me.

To be honest, the only reason I've persevered with them is because I can shift the ball out the semi-rough with them reasonably well but I rarely need that shot so I think it's time to part ways.

I can hit a long iron pretty consistently so my thoughts are now turning to more of a "driving" iron to fill the gap between my 3 wood and 4 iron. Any suggestions as to the best one to look for would be appreciated.

Failing that, a silver bullet or magic cure to help me hit a hybrid would also be acceptable!

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Currently use the Adams driving iron. Great for getting off the tee on tight holes. Took a bit of getting used to at first but it goes well now and is a great option for when the driver is not working well.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I've finally accepted, after years of trying to hit them and failing miserably, that hybrids just aren't for me.

To be honest, the only reason I've persevered with them is because I can shift the ball out the semi-rough with them reasonably well but I rarely need that shot so I think it's time to part ways.

I can hit a long iron pretty consistently so my thoughts are now turning to more of a "driving" iron to fill the gap between my 3 wood and 4 iron. Any suggestions as to the best one to look for would be appreciated.

Failing that, a silver bullet or magic cure to help me hit a hybrid would also be acceptable!

I had been using a 3i hybrid for moving my ball out of the light rough and for tee shots of 190-220. But as a result of a significant swing change I now find that I can use irons to better effect in many circumstances. Find I am hardly using my 3i hybrid at the moment, but it is still in my bag.

njrose51

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I use a Ping Crossover in a 4 iron. Its easy to hit of a tee, deck or light ruff, confidence building and will easily go over 200 yards, more in the summer! (257 was my longest last year Garmin S20 - dry and downhill mind)

I did try the 3 iron but the dispersion wasn't as good.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My son has had a few goes with a Ping Crossover iron. Hits it beautifully, can't justify the price tag, or more accurately I wont buy it for him. I even had a go and nailed it, I'm pants with a long club as well. Well worth a try, looks gorgeous too.

puttmore89

Hacker
Visit site
Hi,

My bag goes like this:
915D3 9.5
Mizuno jpx 825 3 wood
Titleist T-mb 2 iron
Titleist AP2 712 4 iron and so on....

I have used hybrids in the past but feel like my 2 iron is a lot more versatile.

I carry it about 220 yards and feel like my miss with it is probably about 50% less damaging to my score than a hybrid. Off centre hits tend to stay straight (ish) and most mis-hits with it tend to be a bit bottom groovy which are devoid of spin and seem to roll on and on. I would say though that from anything heavier than light rough a hybrid would be more suitable especially if you have a fairly steep angle of attack... Reading your post though on balance I would think it would be a good fit.... Talking of fit, if you do get one. Fitting is a must. I think these types of long irons can highlight any problems and getting the right shaft for you makes the world of difference.

Cheers

U

User62651

I thought the beauty of hybrids is that they are so easy to hit especially compared to a long iron? So easy to get the ball airboirne and covering good distances. Couldn't believe how well they went first time I got one, was back around 2003 - the Taylor Made mid 3r I think and had loads since. Real game changer for golfers.
As Bob says what about a lesson. Basics were you set up and hit them like an iron, maybe OP is setting up to hit his as he does a driver/3w?

edit: notice as OP is Kintyre based guessing its windy hard links (Macrihanish or Dunaverty) where he's playing so a hybrid may be a bit harder to hit off links and go too high in the wind!

Last edited by a moderator:

njrose51

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think that you have to hit slightly down on them, rather than a sweeping upwards motion ala a tee shot - trust the loft so to speak. Also, I know this was my error, was that I was trying to lash seven shades of SH*T out of the ball with the hybrid, being very eager as well to see where the ball went so much so, that I was up and looking halfway down the back swing!

lukeysafc100

Head Pro
Visit site
Thing is if you're struggling to hit a hybrid - you struggle to hit a driving iron!! Not many people can get away with them!!

How are you setting up with the hybrid?? Many people try to play it like a 3 wood when in reality you need to play it like an iron!
I set by ball position inbetween the 3 wood and iron set up ball positions

-0---- --0--- --0--
3 W Hybrid Iron

Nickrat

Club Champion
Visit site
I got a hybrid last summer when I got back into golf again, couldn't hit a 4 iron to save my life at that point. What I noticed was as I started to get better with my long irons I started to do worse with my hybrid, I can hit my 4 iron pretty well now but really struggle with the hybrid. I haven't changed my setup or anything however I do probably swing a bit quicker than I did when I first returned. If I swing my hybrid smooth and slower it goes a lot better, the shaft is a regular and it feels really whippy and tends to go high and left. I'm going to try a stiffer shaft to see if that helps.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Bob i have heard that there are two ways to hit a hybrid club ,firstly you hit like you would using an iron ,and secondly a more sweeping type of shot more akin to fairway woods .
what is your take on hybrid use?

Depends on a few things, which hybrid loft you're using, your normal angle of attack, swing path ball position etc

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies so far.

I haven't had a lesson on how to hit a hybrid (to be honest, I haven't had much of a lesson in years). Might be worth a go but that would depend on how much I really stand to gain from being able to hit the hybrid, plus time is at a bit of a premium these days so getting out for a lesson isn't that easy.

I've tried various methods, from setting up like it's a fairway wood to more of a long iron type setup and many things in between. It's quite possibly just a mental block now more than anything. Either way, I see a lot of the wild stuff on the left of the course pretty much every time I try.

As someone noted, I play at Machrihanish but I wouldn't blame the type of course for my inability to hit it; it's certainly my fault but I can strike a pretty good 4 iron without too much trouble, which is what led me towards another iron.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies so far.

I haven't had a lesson on how to hit a hybrid (to be honest, I haven't had much of a lesson in years). Might be worth a go but that would depend on how much I really stand to gain from being able to hit the hybrid, plus time is at a bit of a premium these days so getting out for a lesson isn't that easy.

I've tried various methods, from setting up like it's a fairway wood to more of a long iron type setup and many things in between. It's quite possibly just a mental block now more than anything. Either way, I see a lot of the wild stuff on the left of the course pretty much every time I try.

As someone noted, I play at Machrihanish but I wouldn't blame the type of course for my inability to hit it; it's certainly my fault but I can strike a pretty good 4 iron without too much trouble, which is what led me towards another iron.

I hit my 19* hybrid regularly, and pretty well id say, but struggle more off a tight lie on a links course so it probably needs a different swing for different courses and I'm thinking of putting the 4 iron in the bag for Royal St Georges and Cinque Ports in February

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
I am with you on this. Much prefer having a 4 iron in my hands than the hybrid. I feel I can shape an iron, but not a chance with the hybrid. Defo looking at the Ping Crossover as something to fill the gap between 4 iron and 3 Wood.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Also, I know this was my error, was that I was trying to lash seven shades of SH*T out of the ball with the hybrid, being very eager as well to see where the ball went so much so, that I was up and looking halfway down the back swing!

I had to laugh at this as I fight this urge every time. What is it about a hybrid that tempts you to swing it like a madman? It calls at you to lash at the ball. Ultimately for me, the slower I hit it the better but that devil is on my shoulder all the time and at least once a round I will lash it and screw up.

GreggerKBR

Head Pro
Visit site
Depends on a few things, which hybrid loft you're using, your normal angle of attack, swing path ball position etc

Totally agree! And the shaft as well...?!!

No offence but some people can't hit a wedge... it's not the club, it's the application!

I have a Mizuno # 2Hi-fli iron and a pair of Adams and Nike hybrids. Without doubt the hybrids are easier to hit than any of the many 1-3 irons I've had.

The Adams mini pro are easier to hit off tee and skinny lies, but little harder to hit from fluffy (wet) snaggy lies.
But the loft adjustable Nike's are more versatile.

So not all hybrids are equal but technique and understanding will always come out more the issue than the (modern) club.