Is having 3 hybrids in the bag overkill?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
3 is definitely 'not too many' if they are effective!
That's how many I normally have - and occasionally have 4!

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Is having 3 hybrids overkill?

No, it is something you must do.
You must have a Callaway driver and 3-wood.
You must have 3 Cleveland hybrids.
You must have 6,7,8,9,PW from Mizuno.
You must have 3 Titliest Wedges.
You must agree to this diversification of product.
Otherwise, how will the manufacturers not make enormous profits and charge ridiculously high prices?

Oh for the days when you could buy a complete matching set of clubs.

SDC11246.JPG

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Is having 3 hybrids overkill?

No, it is something you must do.
You must have a Callaway driver and 3-wood.
You must have 3 Cleveland hybrids.
You must have 6,7,8,9,PW from Mizuno.
You must have 3 Titliest Wedges.
You must agree to this diversification of product.
Otherwise, how will the manufacturers not make enormous profits and charge ridiculously high prices?

Oh for the days when you could buy a complete matching set of clubs.

View attachment 39678
You can still buy complete sets if you want. Including a matching bag if you are that sort.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
3 hybrids is more the standard and the majority of golfers should be bagging 3 these days. 20 ,23, 26 or so. Drop the 20 if you game a 5 wood, but think the hybrid is probably the better option now depending on your rig setup lower down. 17/18 an interesting option depending on if/what you fairway wood build it.
5 irons are only hanging in there in sets as manufacturers dropping that will make it look like there are hardly any clubs left in an iron set at all anymore. 3 and 4 irons only for plus men, and vanity players.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't see how 3 hybrids would be 'overkill' anymore than having 8 irons or 5 wedges would be. You just use whatever works. I used to have three hybrids in the bag, but after I got my 5 wood I liked it so much I got the matching 7 wood, which replaced the longest hybrid. The 7 wood is fantastic as well so I've never looked back. So I have a driver, two woods, two hybrids, four irons and four wedges (counting the PW as an iron, since it is really). I got the hybrids in the first place when I gave up trying to make the 5 and 6 irons work, I just couldn't hit them well at all. Six went the same distance as the seven and the five barely got off the ground. Hybrids are infinitely easier to hit the correct distances.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Went to AG today and tried out a few 3 hybrids. Cobra Radspeed, Titliest TS2, Taylormade SIM2 and Ping 425.

Hated the SIM2 - didn't like the look of it and didn't hit it particularly well. Liked the Radspeed and the TS2, both were performed well, however the G425 outperformed them, both in terms of distance and dispersion. I had intended just using the session to see how I got on hitting a 3 hybrid, and if it went ok, I was going to buy a Cobra King Speedzone which is going for just over £100 (my 4 hybrid is a Cobra F-Max and I'm hitting it well), however I've now got my heart set on the G425 which unfortunately is twice the price, but I love it!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
3 hybrids is more the standard and the majority of golfers should be bagging 3 these days. 20 ,23, 26 or so. Drop the 20 if you game a 5 wood, but think the hybrid is probably the better option now depending on your rig setup lower down. 17/18 an interesting option depending on if/what you fairway wood build it.
5 irons are only hanging in there in sets as manufacturers dropping that will make it look like there are hardly any clubs left in an iron set at all anymore. 3 and 4 irons only for plus men, and vanity players.
My 3H and 5 wood go different distances. My 5W is longer so there is room in my bag for both. I only go 6-PW in my irons and then 2 wedges (52, 58) and find my gapping is pretty well covered