Hybrids are meant to be easier aren't they?

Mark1751

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I used to carry a Ping G400 crossover hybrid club, I felt that I didn’t have enough club head speed to get it moving, and the same for a 4 iron so I reluctantly went and purchased a couple hybrids and I’m so glad I did as now I’m looking at shots of 180 yards and thinking I can get it there where as before I was laying up.

I’ve also started to use my 3 and 5 wood which has transformed my long game and gets me closer to the green then I was before.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Of course you are right but compared to irons they seem generally lighter.

In general the regular shafts tend to be on the lighter side. The stiffer usually go up in weight. you can also get heavy regulars too.

My 4 hybrid has a 90gramm shaft in it. Just to pick it up you know it feels heavy.

I am coming around to the idea of getting regular irons next time I upgrade those as I tend to not hit them full wack and find regular irons on the whole easier to launch.

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
Same love hate relationship my Hybrids. On a good day, they are simple to hit, on a bad day, they are the work of the devil. Defo seem to be hugely affected by swing speed/tempo. For me, they are not a club that can be thrashed, the smoother the swing the better they work. In reality, pretty much the same for all my clubs.........

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Blimey GiD, do you work out? :D. That is quite a weight.

My mate lent me the club then let me keep it so it came into my possession through chance. Off the back of that I have since made sure all my woods and hybrids including driver, are on the heavy side. Woods and hybrids don't balloon and the driver just feels right in the swing.

I have been going to the gym about 2 months. Still built like the side of a page. Lol. Actually go to do quite a bit of stretching to keep my back issue in check. Doing me the world of good.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Blimey GiD, do you work out? :D. That is quite a weight.

My two have stainless steel and I think from memory they're 100g shafts (will need to remember to have a look tonight)

They don't go anywhere near as far as previous hybrids i've had but they're not really supposed to

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
In general the regular shafts tend to be on the lighter side. The stiffer usually go up in weight. you can also get heavy regulars too.

My 4 hybrid has a 90gramm shaft in it. Just to pick it up you know it feels heavy.

I am coming around to the idea of getting regular irons next time I upgrade those as I tend to not hit them full wack and find regular irons on the whole easier to launch.
The fact that they are usually graphite means they are generally lighter, but obviously they don't have to be if you look around. I did consider buying a hybrid with a steel shaft - ideally the same shaft as my irons even - but then I found my current one which went well on the range so bought that. My irons have XP95 regular shafts. Current hybrid has a Kuro Kage one, 70g.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Over the years the 3,4 and 5 in the bag have been changed to 19, 24 and 29 hybrids despite me being a good ball striker. I use them because I no longer have the swing speed to strike long irons well.

For me the trick is to hit them in the same way as I hit an iron

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am envious of anyone that can get on with hybrids. I have switched them in and out of my bag over the years, but just can't get on with them. When I set up to the ball they just never look right to me. I now have a Mizuno MP18 18* utility in my bag and I love it, for some strange reason I hit it straighter and further than the 19* hybrid I had in the bag.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am envious of anyone that can get on with hybrids. I have switched them in and out of my bag over the years, but just can't get on with them. When I set up to the ball they just never look right to me. I now have a Mizuno MP18 18* utility in my bag and I love it, for some strange reason I hit it straighter and further than the 19* hybrid I had in the bag.

For many the rounded head of the hybrid (most) relative to the angular iron definitely cause alignment concerns; or even swing issues. Best case it just adds doubt and concern to a swing.

I watch a huge number of players closing (they think squaring) the hybrid head into the ball - starting left, going left and going miles! (Obviously this bit isn't you).

Also see people who will take the 4 iron from a good lie on the fairway, but the 4h from a crap lie - and wonder why they tend to get better results from their irons!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I've had hybrids in the bag for a long long time! Though I've been pretty selective about both heads and shafts!

For a 'naturall' fader, the likes of Cobra Baflers (from early 'noughties') was a hook machine but I got on very well with Sonartec MDs! Used quite a few Adams hybrids - and have a couple of them in the bag currently. The one that got me converted (can't really used 'hooked' as it's rather ambiguous, but that's definitely what I am!) to hybrids was the (original) TM Rescue 19 - that I've still got for the spare bag, complete with perfectly central stone dent on the bottom of the face! It's just a beast of a club, playing like (as easy as) a 9 iron but going a prodigious distance! And last year I parked the 5-iron in favour of a 27*, that is pretty much my most reliable club.

I believe getting the shaft weight right, for your personal swing, is key! That TM Rescue had a (Stiff) 104gm shaft and the hybrids I've had good results with have had relatively heavy shafts! The 27* is the lightest (at 80gms from memory; feels a tad too light, but that's what it came with) but the 2 Red Ties are 95gms. That 'hook machine' Cobra had a 65-70gm shaft, so I put our 'relationship' down to that! I certainly seem to prefer heavy iron shafts - having having no idea which miss i would have with some Nippon 950s a while ago! Oddly, light Driver and FW shafts suit me best - it seems I'm a little more conservative with my swing with these clubs!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hybrids are marvellous clubs. Great for tee offs when it’s a tight fairway or a long par 3

Most used club in bag for me

Can get enough height when needed to use the 4 hybrid out a fairway bunker if I find them

But also a half swing almost dinking it keeps it low and rolling if your say blocked by a tree...

I was practing other day.. same par 3.. played 2 hybrids.. one landed and stayed just before the green the other I topped a bit and it ran all way along floor to the green then through the back

For me a 4 hybrid is a must!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It's a type of club I've struggled with. Like the OP I had an Adams and couldn't get on with it but was reasonably confident with the Cobra Baffler it replaced. Similarly I had a G25 3H that I was average with and upgraded it for G version which I really struggled with for at least six months. I did have a brief refresher as part of a lesson and moved the position a tad back and realised the face had been open. I am now getting better with it, but it still has off days. However off my handicap I am not going to hit every green on a par three from 180-200 yards or every par four from the same distance. I do think they (hybrids) are easier than a long iron to hit and have made the game a degree easier for club golfers

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I’ve tried hybrids and not got on with them consistently. Now put a 3 and 4 iron in the bag and I am much more confident with those.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
For many the rounded head of the hybrid (most) relative to the angular iron definitely cause alignment concerns; or even swing issues. Best case it just adds doubt and concern to a swing.

I watch a huge number of players closing (they think squaring) the hybrid head into the ball - starting left, going left and going miles! (Obviously this bit isn't you).

Also see people who will take the 4 iron from a good lie on the fairway, but the 4h from a crap lie - and wonder why they tend to get better results from their irons!

You hit the nail on the head. I either hit it straight as an arrow or hit a big high draw and loose it left cause it never sits right in my eyes. The most ridiculous statement, that others will look at me strange for is, I can hit my old MP33 2i better off the deck than any rescue club.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
You hit the nail on the head. I either hit it straight as an arrow or hit a big high draw and loose it left cause it never sits right in my eyes. The most ridiculous statement, that others will look at me strange for is, I can hit my old MP33 2i better off the deck than any rescue club.

But, as Duncn implies, would you even consider hitting it out of the 2nd cut of rough!

I can remember deciding mid/late one August that the blades I'd played rather successfully for the 'summer' weren't appropriate for playing from juicy rough! Thast TP Mid Rescue was/is a great club for that sort of lie!

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I actually have that 2 iron sitting in my spare room gathering dust. I can't hit it for toffee.

S400 shaft and an inch and a half over standard in length. There's not many who could use such a club.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I actually have that 2 iron sitting in my spare room gathering dust. I can't hit it for toffee.

S400 shaft and an inch and a half over standard in length. There's not many who could use such a club.

A beautiful club my good man, I could really crack it a mile off the tee. I could play the Tiger stinger shot with it, great for those windy days.