Hybrid Required

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
This thread is a club manufacturers wet dream!
I know. They will currently be harvesting our posts and each person giving a recommendation will be receiving adverts from the appropriate mfr with their latest offering. (Did you like how I brought two threads together there?😁)

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
In all honesty, if you've had 3 or more hybrids and struggled with all of them, what makes you think there's a magic one out there?

I'm similar in that I can't hit a hybrid - I've only had two though, the first one had a really light shaft (55g) so I changed to a 70g one, but still struggled with it again. My next option I think is to try a still-heavier one if I can find one, or just give it up as a bad job and stick to long irons.

I guess what I'm saying is, trying yet another random hybrid based on nothing but forum suggestions probably won't help. Particularly if you haven't identified why the previous ones didn't work.

Might struggle to find brand new now but the mizuno fli-hi hybrids have stainless steel shafts at 105g (if I recall) I've always found hybrids easy to hit but these took me a while to get used to given the extra weight/flex etc (really have to hit them like an iron)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Might struggle to find brand new now but the mizuno fli-hi hybrids have stainless steel shafts at 105g (if I recall) I've always found hybrids easy to hit but these took me a while to get used to given the extra weight/flex etc (really have to hit them like an iron)
Yeah I've seen them, it was annoying that they only seem to exist with the XP 105 shaft though, because my irons actually have XP 95's - so if I found a Fli-Hi with an XP 95 I would have picked it up like a shot. But ultimately I don't really want a hybrid that's heavier than my irons.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Yeah I've seen them, it was annoying that they only seem to exist with the XP 105 shaft though, because my irons actually have XP 95's - so if I found a Fli-Hi with an XP 95 I would have picked it up like a shot. But ultimately I don't really want a hybrid that's heavier than my irons.

Unless you have a real dodgy occupation who's gonna notice 10grams :D

Still might be worth picking one up to have a hit with

p33j4y

Visit site
In all honesty, if you've had 3 or more hybrids and struggled with all of them, what makes you think there's a magic one out there?

I'm similar in that I can't hit a hybrid - I've only had two though, the first one had a really light shaft (55g) so I changed to a 70g one, but still struggled with it again. My next option I think is to try a still-heavier one if I can find one, or just give it up as a bad job and stick to long irons.

I guess what I'm saying is, trying yet another random hybrid based on nothing but forum suggestions probably won't help. Particularly if you haven't identified why the previous ones didn't work.

Took me a long time to find the right hybrid. Eventually I decided to reshaft one of my useless hybrids with an steel shaft matching my irons. That totally transferred a useless club into a favorite. I now play 4 hybrids from 18 to 29 degrees, all fitted with steel shafts. Nothing in my bag comes close to the reliability and consistence of my hybrids.

Hybrids are intended as iron replacements, so to me it makes a lot of sense to match them with the irons. Most of-the-shelf hybrids use shafts which are much too light in my opinion.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Took me a long time to find the right hybrid. Eventually I decided to reshaft one of my useless hybrids with an steel shaft matching my irons. That totally transferred a useless club into a favorite. I now play 4 hybrids from 18 to 29 degrees, all fitted with steel shafts. Nothing in my bag comes close to the reliability and consistence of my hybrids.

Hybrids are intended as iron replacements, so to me it makes a lot of sense to match them with the irons. Most of-the-shelf hybrids use shafts which are much too light in my opinion.
That's what we were just saying above! I have come to the same conclusion myself. Right now with the summer conditions I'm using a 3 iron instead, which is fine, but I think in time for the winter I'm going to be looking out for a hybrid with either a light steel shaft or a heavier graphite one so it more closely resembles my irons.

I'm certain that is my problem with hybrids, shaft is too light, it feels like swinging a piece of string and I find it impossible to get a consistent strike.