Hybrid-itis

B

birdieman

Morning all,
Just in with the mail today is my new Bridgestone J33 21 degree hybrid, aldila NV hybrid shaft. Beautiful club, can't wait to hit it.
Got it off Ebay (golf pro shop) for £30 brand new plus p+p which I think is a steal, no-one else bidded, fools.
Lesson here is you can acquire top kit for buttons by avoiding the 'name' brands. I reckon Srixon, Bridgestone, MD, MacGregor etc are making great stuff but maybe aren't as glamorous as other brands -TM, Nike, Callaway, Titleist etc?
Anyway I have replaced my 3 iron (Cleveland CG1 blade) with this new beastie in an effort to hit more greens and get it airborne for longer.
I try to resist these new clubs, bit of a golf purist at heart, but after getting on so well with my 18 deg hybrid (Cobra baffler) I'm getting hooked on these hybrids.
I feel playing off 5 I should be able to hit a long iron but I see a lot of pros, especially shorter hitters, using these clubs.
I now have 4 graphite shafted, head-covered clubs in my bag which looks a bit 'mid to high handicapper' to me but I'll do anything to get my scores down!

par_par_par_treble

Assistant Pro
Visit site
i use only a wedge and a putter (on the odd occasion i dont chip in) :D

OR

i have been known to carry 4 head-covered clubs too - cant seem to use clubs with graphite shafts tho!

stevelockie

Head Pro
Visit site
Quite agree Birdieman. I'm a decent iron striker and have already replaced my 3 iron with a hybrid, and am seriously thinking about replacing my 4 iron now too.

B

birdieman

Tcchh....They call it progress!

Alas I am old enough to remember the sweet 'click' of persimmon on balata, now we have the horrible clang of titanium or steel on suryln/urethane.

You've gotta keep up though, so what can you do but comply?

Quite honestly maybe metal woods should be banned, I think Taylor Made started it then it was brutalised by Mr Callaway in the early 90's, now all our grand old courses are shadows of their former selves. The longest par 4 on the course I played a teenager was a drive and a 3 wood, now it's a drive and a 7 iron, no room to move the tees back either.

Still like my new hybrid though!!

simplyme

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm the complete opposite. I struggle with the hybrids but my 3 iron is my most treasured club. Strike it wonerfully well as apposed to my Mizuno hybrid.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have 4 clubs with headcovers (1,3,5,3H) and feel no embarrasment about it. Rather be over wooded than have wedge-itis. I know there are good players on here with spin milled sand and lobs etc. (I'm cool with that) but at my club the lack of skill with these is laughable. Anywhere near the green and they are spending a Mickelson amount of time to select which weapon for the situation, jerk it onto the front of the green and then moan cause it never gets up to the hole, and the pro v is scuffed....what's wrong with bumping it along the ground with an 8 or 9 to a foot or so!!!!

Dave

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I seem to be in the majority as I tend to cary 4 headed clubs - Driver 3 and 5 woods and a Cobra DWS hybrid. I do however switch between my 5 wood (we are going through a trial separation at the moment) and my 3 iron.

I don't really care what other people say. To be fair most members at my club don't really care what sticks you use as long as you are good company and respect the course (pitch marks, bunkers etc)

Happy golfing
Homer

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
What degree is your DWS? I've been trying to cut down on clubs in my bag (makes it lighter for winter!) but can't get rid of my 5 wood, nothing else goes the distance.

My 21 degree EQL has seen the back of my 3 and 2 irons!!

Dave

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Its 20 degree and I can hit it around 200 which is about 10 yards down on my 5 wood but 20 yard further than I hit a 3 iron. The great thing is it has a higher trajectory than either the wood or 3 iron and lands nice and soft.

Hope this helps
Homer

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Interesting, you and I are about the same, give or take a few percent. If you were 210 5W and 180-5 3I, no wonder you are using the DWS!!! I had exactly the same problem which used to be cured with a 2 iron, but the utility is much easier off the deck.

Sadly, at my course it's either all (200+) or nothing (under 140) as the second shots as we only do long or short par 4s...no mediums ????

I'm going to recommend a couple of new tees in the end-of-year course suggstions. It might up the SSS score too, which p***** me off, go round 9 over and get treated as 11 over.

Dave