Hybrid custom fit

YorkshireStu

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hi all. Sorry, two quick newbie questions!
I’m currently looking at upgrading my 3 hybrid. Do people generally lengthen these clubs? I’m 6ft 4 and see that people often lengthen their irons to better fit their size but I have not see any general comments around custom fitting hybrids. Currently looking at some off the shelf or used options, given my height and as a leftie, that would probably rule out used.
I guess the same question applies to adding a few layers of tape to the grips too?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
If you're buying new then a decent fitter would make any length adjustments as part of the fit.
If you buy 2nd hand some places will do a "retro" fit - making sure that what you've bought at least matches your size.
Shafts can be lengthened or shortened, grips can be thickened up too.
You dont hear much about hybrid fitting because many don't really bother
They know from their iron fit what they need so just transfer the numbers...sometimes it works....

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Would add, there is typically already quite a jump in length going from irons to hybrids, so you might welcome the "standard length" for a bit if extra control.
There will be some with lie adjustment I expect.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I found my hybrid connection has become more consistent since switching to one length .. normal irons and 1 length hyrbid.. hit them a dream

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Depends, the fitter needs to get the best out of you using the equipment. I'm short (Richard Hammond short lol) and expected my clubs to be shorter - I've been fitted throughout my bag and have standard length in driver to hybrid. My irons are on .25" shorter rather than the 1" I was expecting, my wedges are standard length as well and my putter is 34", again much to my surprise. It'll heavily rely on you and they way you deliver the club at impact. I'm also a 'feel' player and rely on how a club feels in my hands, during my swing and at impact.

I love getting fitted as all of mine have been more of a golf lesson with equipment added in. I hope you enjoy your fittings!

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Depends. Tall people have long arms. Some tall Tour players use standard length clubs. Need a fitter to check you out to know, but don't assume they will necessarily need to be longer.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Hi all. Sorry, two quick newbie questions!
I’m currently looking at upgrading my 3 hybrid. Do people generally lengthen these clubs? I’m 6ft 4 and see that people often lengthen their irons to better fit their size but I have not see any general comments around custom fitting hybrids. Currently looking at some off the shelf or used options, given my height and as a leftie, that would probably rule out used.
I guess the same question applies to adding a few layers of tape to the grips too?

I'd suggest having a chat with your club pro and maybe getting him to see you hit a few. Hybrids are funny clubs and some still like to hit down and compress like an iron and others will sweep away like a fairway wood. Depending on how you deliver the club will affect whether you need any adjustment. Depending on what brand you are looking for, place like Golfbidder will tell you in the description if it is standard or longer than standard and there may be some left handed options. May be a good starting point and you can then see if other second hand sites offer similar (and cheaper) or if you can source it elsewhere

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Length is a major factor if you lengthen a shaft it will in theory make it play different.
At your height it’s very important to have the correct shaft.
So fitting looks sensible.
And if you don’t get on with it you know it’s not the club.

YorkshireStu

Medal Winner
Visit site
Thanks everybody for the advice. I'll hold off until I arrange a fitting.
My clubs which were my first set are all standard length/lie so it will be interesting to see what comes of a proper review!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If I were you I would try and get to Ping HQ for a fitting in Gainsborough your not that far away.
Best fitting I have ever had.
Shaft and grip size will be taken care of.
Plus you may pick a second hand one in your spec if your lucky.
They have the most gear I have seen for left handed players.