How's your season been?

ChrisB0210

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So, winter is fast approaching, most of us have played the last club major of the year (unless arranging finals is proving tricky) and are either starting the winter schedule or putting the clubs away for the next few months.

It's also a good time to reflect on the golfing season and what's happened since that first summer comp back in April.

As I've started this thread, it's only fair that I go first!

Overall, I'm happy with how things have gone. I started the season at 28 (27.5) and ended at 24 (23.8), so goal number 1 achieved (handicap reduction) although I'm slightly disappointed not to have lost a shot or two more, especially as I put together a run of 30+ point Stableford scores during February and March which, at the time, was my best run.

I then had a bit of a sticky patch, mainly caused by club politics and things getting to me more than they should, all now resolved. Fortunately I also joined my works golf society which kept me going when things got a bit tricky.

Once all all the political rubbish had gone away I started to score reasonably well. In July I was 2nd in a team event with 3 mates, won a pairs comp and also had decent showings in an Open comp and some friendly matches. August was even better, I won my first medal (division) and the day after returning from holiday managed to bag our annual away day with 43 points. Fair to say that a corner had definitely been turned! I've continued to score solidly since, except last couple of weeks, and am looking forward to kicking on over the winter and plotting the next round of improvements in cahoots with my teaching pro!

So that's the "serious" bit over. I had a few comedy moments over the year, including my 3 shortest "rounds" ever (all weather affected) of 2.5 holes (1 under net when hooter sounded :angry:), 3 holes (hailed off at the end of April!) and 2 shots (Lightning) in June, was 70 yds from the green with a great lie too at the time! :rolleyes:

But, I saved the best until last. Belton Woods in September. 2nd hole on the Lakes course. We were offered a par 3 challenge, £10 to enter, all you had to do was hit the green. If you did, then a free round (with 50% green fee reduction for up to 3 pp's) was yours. If not then the £10 became a pro shop voucher. Now, being an astute Yorkshireman and being very aware of the lake standing between me and the green, I politely declined the offer, unlike my 3 playing partners. No prizes for guessing who then went and stuck his ball in the middle of the green, unlike the pp's who all decided to avoid the green at all costs!

Anyway, I've said more than enough for now, over to you, look forward to hearing how everyone else's seasons have been.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Started the season at 20.6 and had a couple of small cuts down to 19.4 (mainly thanks to winning our seniors open comp), and then crept back up to 20. I was then playing a club match on a Sunday, after playing in a comp the day before and realised that my shoulders were feeling really heavy and tired so a PowaKaddy was duly ordered the next day.

What a difference it has made to my overall game. Although my handicap wasn't coming down, I was in buffer most weeks and .1's were few and far between. The last couple of months saw a second and fourth in our last 2 majors, a board comp win and 43 points in last weeks first Turkey Trot of the year. Handicap has now dropped to 17.9 so my pre season target of 18 has been reached and also been provisionally told that I have won the club order of merit. Overall then i'm pretty pleased how the season has gone.