How to stop 3 putting.

User20204

Visit site
Brilliant line from Mark Crossfield in his game with James Robinson after the latter 3 putted, "hit it closer bruh"

And that Ladies and Gentlemen is the answer.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I've noticed he has this (bruh) adolescent term of affection with his mates to address them, bit strange for folks of their age, he left his teens many years ago, but whatever

What's really weird is many of his followers/commentors on his social media channels also use the same term to adress him and they don't even know him and are not part of whatever 'in' joke started the group fad

I guess some folks are just a bit needy to be loved by strangers

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I recently stopped 3-putting by taking 4.

Think you need to review that strategy. I always find the greens more bobbly in winter and so have the odd 3 putt where I feel I have made a good putt and it has moved offline. Other than that I simply work on holing out from 2-3 feet and often use a hole reducer to narrow the target

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
I watched that video. His point is correct. With a gap wedge in hand, better players should be looking at getting to within 25 feet which reduces the likelihood of 3 putting. I accept that I will 3 putt sometimes from 40-50 feet. I could be annoyed with my putting on that green but the cause of the problem is the approach shot. Crossfield, while incessant with his flavour-of-the-week teaching points (strokes gained, strike) is right but it does become annoying when he and his cronies hit the ball and within a nanosecond start staring at their clubface to check their strike. WE GET IT- strike is important zzzz

As for the ‘bruh’ chat- Crossfield is hardly unique in having certain tropes or catchphrases within his videos... his success is built on creating a community. Those who watch his videos are part of that and it’s not unusual for those who subscribe to social media channels to want to feel part of that community- yes it’s a wee bit cringey but they’re not hurting anyone.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Firstly forget stopping 3 putting.

Secondly make sure you don’t let any 3 putts affect your mental state.

Thirdly “Hit it closer Bruh”

Colonel Bogey

Visit site
Brilliant line from Mark Crossfield in his game with James Robinson after the latter 3 putted, "hit it closer bruh"

And that Ladies and Gentlemen is the answer.

What garbage! I can miss from any range. Well unless it's teetering on the edge. I can honestly say I'm 100% from there. :giggle:

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
As a rule I don't like his course review videos...too laddish and self indulgent in my view. But I just watched some of his "basics" video about how he taught beginners, and I do like his logic and the delivery was good. He has a decent following for a reason....

I remember an old Faldo quote, where after a round in which he holed nothing, he was asked if he was off to practice putting, he said, "No. Irons....i wasn't getting them close enough!"

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
At my level it's virtually impossible to not 3 putt for a whole round anyway. At least twice a round I'll hit a shot that just makes the front edge of a green when the pin is at the back, or something similar. It's some going to avoid three putts when you're 30 or 40 feet from the pin.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm currently perfecting the 3 putt by being determined to get the ball 18" past the hole every time (excepting the tiddlers)...no more conservative lagged putts for me for this close season...

Bleedin' knackers my scoring mind...:)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
At my level it's virtually impossible to not 3 putt for a whole round anyway. At least twice a round I'll hit a shot that just makes the front edge of a green when the pin is at the back, or something similar. It's some going to avoid three putts when you're 30 or 40 feet from the pin.

What you should do is try and hit it closer (I'm sure I read that somewhere)

D

Deleted member 1147

I'd suggest you take heart from the fact that if you keep 3 putting it does at least suggest you're hitting greens. Although it's very annoying, it is still better than missing greens, chipping on and 2 putting, as it suggests your long game is working ok.
The more greens you hit in regulation the more chance you have of making pars. Just start to incorporate a bit more putting into your practice (it's easy to only practice long game when you're a beginner) and you'll be fine (y)

Last edited by a moderator:

User20204

Visit site
I've noticed he has this (bruh) adolescent term of affection with his mates to address them, bit strange for folks of their age, he left his teens many years ago, but whatever

What's really weird is many of his followers/commentors on his social media channels also use the same term to adress him and they don't even know him and are not part of whatever 'in' joke started the group fad

I guess some folks are just a bit needy to be loved by strangers

You must be great fun to play with, all that banter you must have.

D

Deleted member 21258

Most rounds I play, I have 1 (or 2) three putts, normally when the first putt is further than 15ftish from the pin.

Bit like keeping a double bogey of the card, keeping a 3 putt off the card is a pretty rare occurrence for me. Assuming its only once or maybe twice in a round, I tend to be more interested in the number of 1 putts I do(whether up/down from the edge or from hitting the green).

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd suggest you take heart from the fact that if you keep 3 putting it does at least suggest you're hitting greens. Although it's very annoying, it is still better than missing greens, chipping on and 2 putting, as it suggests your long game is working ok.
The more greens you hit in regulation the more chance you have of making pars. Just start to incorporate a bit more putting into your practice (it's easy to only practice long game when you're a beginner) and you'll be fine (y)
Oh yeah definitely. My Hole 19 tracks number of putts, when I look back at the end of the round and see three 3-putts say, I just have to remind myself how many were genuine poor putts and how many were tough long ones from the edge. Particularly when it's a green in reg and a bogey, I'm never too disappointed with that. Stats don't tell you everything of course. (y)

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
it depends. are you 3 putting because your a million feet away for your first putt? 3 putting from 10 feet however!!!!!! 😀