How to get fitted for second hand clubs?

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
What's the best way to get fitted/try out second hand clubs? There are some great bargains to behave but no way of trailing the products first.

I'm possibly looking into getting a new driver but would like to try out a few models/shafts etc. that are not the latest models at £300-£400.

Has anybody ever gone along to somewhere like Golf Bidder and tried models out?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
For the cost of postage, Golfbidder do a 7-day no quibble return as long as condition hasn't changed.
So you could buy a driver, try it with tape on the face and, if you don't get on with it, send it back or keep it...
And if you're close by it won't cost you anything more than getting to and from them..

Chisteve

Head Pro
Visit site
I tend to by second hand

Never been fitted

Brought last years m2 driver hit a wonderful drive with 1st hit - perfect anything bad after that is me not the club

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
For the cost of postage, Golfbidder do a 7-day no quibble return as long as condition hasn't changed.
So you could buy a driver, try it with tape on the face and, if you don't get on with it, send it back or keep it...
And if you're close by it won't cost you anything more than getting to and from them..

Good shout but it could cost a fortune in postage if trying a few models!

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I tend to by second hand

Never been fitted

Brought last years m2 driver hit a wonderful drive with 1st hit - perfect anything bad after that is me not the club

Would be nice to be fitted or recommended a certain shaft though. Bargained there to be had in the second hand market but there is so much choice!

D

Deleted member 1740

Would be nice to be fitted or recommended a certain shaft though. Bargained there to be had in the second hand market but there is so much choice!

Could you go to range and have a free fitting trying shafts, a couple of swishes with the mizuno DNA gadget and you'll know what shafts are right for you, then it's all down to what you like head wise.

D

Deleted member 16999

You can try second hand clubs at American Golf or Direct Golf.

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
You can try second hand clubs at American Golf or Direct Golf.

Yes I was thinking of just going along to a decent sized AG and seeing what they have. If anything takes my fancy, I'll have a swing. Not seen second hand clubs in the DG I go to. In there on a weekly basis to use the range and they never have second hand clubs in there.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Back in the day I used ebay for this. Bought smart through auctions, never getting involved when it went above what I knew I could sell for a week later. Maybe lost a few pounds now and again, but at times I made a fair bit more. I doubt I came out worse than £100 over 100 clubs.

SXRORY

Medal Winner
Visit site
EBAY like others have said, buy well and you wont lose out. Lets be honest if they are decent clubs you learn your way round them.
Having said that i struggled with 6.5 project x shafts in some mizzys i bought, did not realise how stiff that was going to be.

SVB

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If your buying from AG (or any other large outlet) then fitting advice should be part of the process.

If if you don't want to feel morally obligged to buy, then I'd rock up on a quiet time and ask for / offer to pay for fitting. You may find they'll do it for free. Either that or speak to your club pro who may offer a similar service for the price of a lesson.

Either way, you'll have the info you need for £30 max and save several £100s off the price of new kit so seems a good return on investment to me as well as supporting local shops / pros.

S