How to choose irons?

Buckbeak

Visit site
Hi all,

Been toying with the idea of replacing my irons for a while, however I’m not in the position to get a new set fitted for me.

How do people go about buying second hand clubs? I know there’s golfbidder etc. But how do people know what irons to choose? Is it just a case of taking a punt on a brand/design you like?

Started playing properly 2/3 years ago and have got my handicap down from 28+ to 18, and hoping to reduce that further this year. Currently have Nike VR full cavity irons which I’ve had for around 6 years. Having bought them for cheap when I used to play a few times a summer.

Any tips would be appreciated.

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
Get fitted then buy same spec in older model. I did that recently, fitted for brand new Titleist T200, then picked up the previous model AP3 in exact shaft, length and lie for less than half the cost of new clubs.

Alternatively, try different sets off golfbidder, as the have a 7 day no quibble returns policy.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
A few pro shops will have a bucket with 7 irons in them. These are the tester irons they are given by mfrs. Ask to put one in your bag for a round or simply buy one you like the look of. I bought a ping g20 7 iron at Alwoodley GC for £8, liked it and then bought a second hand set of G25's, same but better, once I had tried and liked it. I sold the 7 iron on Ebay for £5 so that test cost me £3, bargain.

The other option, done this plenty, is if you see a club a playing partner has and like the look of it, ask to have a hit and see what you think. You can't do this in a competition, you can but it excludes them from using it again so don't complicate matters, and make sure you know the person well enough before asking. I've done this plenty of times in order to narrow down options.

Shy bairns get nowt as they say up here ?. Translated, ask people, they can only say no.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi all,

Been toying with the idea of replacing my irons for a while, however I’m not in the position to get a new set fitted for me.

How do people go about buying second hand clubs? I know there’s golfbidder etc. But how do people know what irons to choose? Is it just a case of taking a punt on a brand/design you like?

Started playing properly 2/3 years ago and have got my handicap down from 28+ to 18, and hoping to reduce that further this year. Currently have Nike VR full cavity irons which I’ve had for around 6 years. Having bought them for cheap when I used to play a few times a summer.

Any tips would be appreciated.
It’s hard to say without knowing your budget but find an American golf with a driving range and a decent range of second hand sets to try.

Buckbeak

Visit site
It’s hard to say without knowing your budget but find an American golf with a driving range and a decent range of second hand sets to try.

I must say I am a bit naive when it comes to second hand pricing and not sure what a good deal would be etc. But would be ideally looking for under £200 for a set in good nick.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I must say I am a bit naive when it comes to second hand pricing and not sure what a good deal would be etc. But would be ideally looking for under £200 for a set in good nick.
Don't rush in, peruse Ebay for a while and see what sets go for, the type you like of course.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
You can use the pga value guide for estimates - not sure how accurate or fair they are though.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Years ago when I was switching from stiff to regular I bought 14 sets of clubs on ebay tried them for a couple of rounds and resold them on ebay ( start listing price to get my money back) .

Last but one change was trying a demo club and then buying nearly new on ebay.

One of the troubles you have is your budget.

The pro at my club sells the demo clubs as soon as they are non longer a current model - you may have trouble finding demo clubs at clubs shops for older models to suit you budget.

The second option is to look for single demo irons for older clubs on ebay.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Speak to your club pro or a pro from the local range. Show them what you have and ask them for their advice. Places like Golfbidder are really good as their online descriptions will tell you if a set of clubs have been made flatter or upright so if you need something that isn't standard you should be able to see which ones will suit. Also they offer a 7 day return policy

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you answer yes to the following questions then buy them:

1. Can I afford them?
2. Do I like the look of them?
3. Do they feel good when I’m testing them?
4. Will I enjoy them?
5. Are they definitely better than what I have?

Springveldt

Visit site
You can use the pga value guide for estimates - not sure how accurate or fair they are though.
If you can find clubs at those prices then you are basically stealing them from somone, their trade in prices are ridiculously low. Just had a quick look and apparently my i500 irons (7 of them) would fetch $342 while on eBay they are still selling for over £500.

D

Deleted member 21258

I have bought , one set off here(cobra fly z+) and a couple off ebay(pxg and callayway x14), on a why not attitude. Just looked at ebay past auctions, golfbidder etc to get an indication of what they should cost.

All fairly forgiving(x14 are quite old but still forgiving) and other than trying to ensure they are genuine sets, cant say I noticed that much difference in how they play, when compared to each other and when compared to my old set, they all have similar lofts. I can still miss, left, right, long and short;):D

As a result I came to the conclusion, go on looks within reason.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Set -1 I managed to have a fitting with what were discontinued clubs (Cleveland when srixon made them stop selling irons, before their u-turn). Was only a fraction over your budget. Current set was like LT, bought a couple of demo clubs off the bay and played around at a top tracer range. If it helps, current are Benross and managed a new set within your budget. Current hcap 9 for context.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
If you answer yes to the following questions then buy them:

1. Can I afford them?
2. Do I like the look of them?
3. Do they feel good when I’m testing them?
4. Will I enjoy them?
5. Are they definitely better than what I have?

or if you are like some on here;
6. how much can i sell them for in 6 months when something new comes out:ROFLMAO:

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If you can find clubs at those prices then you are basically stealing them from somone, their trade in prices are ridiculously low. Just had a quick look and apparently my i500 irons (7 of them) would fetch $342 while on eBay they are still selling for over £500.

Well that settles it I'm not going to use those prices now!!!

Buckbeak

Visit site
I have bought , one set off here(cobra fly z+) and a couple off ebay(pxg and callayway x14), on a why not attitude. Just looked at ebay past auctions, golfbidder etc to get an indication of what they should cost.

All fairly forgiving(x14 are quite old but still forgiving) and other than trying to ensure they are genuine sets, cant say I noticed that much difference in how they play, when compared to each other and when compared to my old set, they all have similar lofts. I can still miss, left, right, long and short;):D

As a result I came to the conclusion, go on looks within reason.

Haha I agree that I’ll still miss left, right and short with new clubs! I think looks will probably be the winner for me too

Last edited:

Buckbeak

Visit site
Thanks for the help everyone. One problem I have is I don’t know where to start, so I guess looks will somewhat be the overall winner. Just also don’t want clubs that won’t suit me at all, as I’m still a high handicapper.

I do like Ping clubs and some Wilson Staffs and heard they’re quite forgiving so will go looking for some demos or 7i at the shop/online and see how I get on.