How should the winner be decided if scores are tied?

Lower handicap or countback?

• Lower handicap

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Countback

Votes: 47 85.5%

• Total voters

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Countback. If you are on a decent score and are guessing that you are in with a chance of winning then the pressure will build on you - and so for me how well you cope with that pressure and continue to keep a good score going is worthy of recognition. Golf is more than technique. So for a higher handicapper - coping with pressure as the good round draws to a close is harder than it is for a low handicapper - it may be the best that that higher player has ever played and first time in with a shout - he copes and posts a great score - worthy of the recognition countback affords.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of the things to remember in this computer age is that ISVs will have set up the software for count back to make a committees life easier. I know from experience how hard it is to sort out the winning order without a computer.

I suppose the ISVs could set up other systems for us select which we use.

My biggest bugbear about count back is when different starting tees are used by some players.

D

Deleted Member 1156

2 things: I think the lower handicap should win simply because they have shot the lower gross round.

Second: my whole issue with countback is that it doesn't take into account 'that day's play'. It takes into account the last 9 holes only.

Is there another sport where this sort of tie-breaker happens?
Yes, football. It's the same principle as extra time. The winner is the team that plays best in the last 30 minutes, not the whole 120 minutes.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Win or lose by countback we can all agree it’s the best of a bad bunch.

The only real way is an 18 hole playoff but nobody has time for that, not even the pro golfers.

A playoff would also be great but with one person halfway through a roast dinner 12 miles away and the other 3 pints into celebrating breaking handicap for the first time in 6 years I doubt it would be feasible at most clubs.

Count back really is the only way, like it or not.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Yes, football. It's the same principle as extra time. The winner is the team that plays best in the last 30 minutes, not the whole 120 minutes.
Nonsense. Extra time is the same as a play-off in golf.

By your logic, what has happened in the previous 90 minutes in football, or 72 holes in golf means nothing. But the previous 90 minutes takes you to extra time, and the previous 72 holes take you to a play-off.

It isn't even remotely the same.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm not a massive fan of countback either but I'd be even less of a fan of just giving it to the lowest handicap player.

Maybe they should decide it by who does best on the SI 1 hole, then SI 2 etc. Just an idea.

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Our Captains was a 3 way tie yesterday. Count back handed it to the higher handicapper. Granted, not the way I’d like the captains comp to be won, I’d rather see a 3 hole pay off or something and see if you have a single, stand out winner.
But, rules are rules and everyone knew them before entering the comp

Smasher

Medal Winner
Visit site
I think the logic behind it is that if you were to go into a play off the person in form (back 9) would be thought to have an advantage.
I wasn't a fan of count back, definitely nothing to do we me losing the only time I was tied. However, that logic makes sense so it's changed my feelings towards it now.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Countback. If you are on a decent score and are guessing that you are in with a chance of winning then the pressure will build on you - and so for me how well you cope with that pressure and continue to keep a good score going is worthy of recognition. Golf is more than technique. So for a higher handicapper - coping with pressure as the good round draws to a close is harder than it is for a low handicapper - it may be the best that that higher player has ever played and first time in with a shout - he copes and posts a great score - worthy of the recognition countback affords.

Don't agree with that as a general rule.
Most golfers are playing for their handicap. A lower player has a much smaller buffer and can really feel the pressure are the round nears the end. I know I do, especially at cat 1 when you only have a 1 shot buffer.

Thankfully I have slipped up to cat 2!

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm not a massive fan of countback either but I'd be even less of a fan of just giving it to the lowest handicap player.

Maybe they should decide it by who does best on the SI 1 hole, then SI 2 etc. Just an idea.

SI is not (or shouldn't) be driven by difficulty. Our SI 1 is an easy enough par 4. It is about the middle of the front 9 and that is the driver.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Yes, the football equivalent would be if they gave the game to however won the 2nd half of normal time.
I think the football equivalent are away goals.

Anyway, I am for count back, and that even if I usually would lose out on it.
Countback favours the lower handicap anyway because to get to the same score they would have to had fewer shots, so likely winning any tie braker. But it is harder for them to actually score well, so I think they deserve it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
SI is not (or shouldn't) be driven by difficulty. Our SI 1 is an easy enough par 4. It is about the middle of the front 9 and that is the driver.
1-3 are usually difficult holes on most courses though. I was just trying to think of another idea. Obviously play-off is fairest but usually not viable when people are entering at different times or even different days.