How should the winner be decided if scores are tied?

Lower handicap or countback?

• Lower handicap

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Countback

Votes: 47 85.5%

• Total voters

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Countback, or lower handicap?

I'm not a fan of countback, and got done by it again yesterday. It is what it is, but I just can't understand the idea of it really... Why should the last 9 holes count for more?

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I think the logic behind it is that if you were to go into a play off the person in form (back 9) would be thought to have an advantage.

Mark1751

Assistant Pro
Visit site
For me it has to be countback, don’t see why just because someone is a lower handicap that they should be given the win. At least with countback it’s based on that days play.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've never liked countback, I agree with the OP on his reason for disliking it. I think going off handicap at that point sounds fair, they will have played the better golf after all. I'm saying this is a higher h/c golfer so am unlikely to benefit from it.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
For me it has to be countback, don’t see why just because someone is a lower handicap that they should be given the win. At least with countback it’s based on that days play.
2 things: I think the lower handicap should win simply because they have shot the lower gross round.

Second: my whole issue with countback is that it doesn't take into account 'that day's play'. It takes into account the last 9 holes only.

Is there another sport where this sort of tie-breaker happens?

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Genuinely, don’t understand the lower handicap option.

How could a system that is not level playing field for all entrants be an option for an on the day competition.

Countback may not be as desirable as a playoff but for club golf it’s a reasonable Tie-Breaker.

Reactions: Doh

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
It's always seemed to me that the exact handicap should be used to determine net score, would reduce the need for another method to rule on a tie by a factor of ten.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
It's always seemed to me that the exact handicap should be used to determine net score, would reduce the need for another method to rule on a tie by a factor of ten.
The main argument against that I think would be that players can’t score to 0.1 of a shot on the day, so it’s an unbalanced system.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
What is the point of playing a handicap competition if the result is being decided on gross score?

If it was a gross comp and a tie, how would you determine the tie breaker?
1) Gross would simply be a tie-breaker.

2) I would have countback as the secondary option to gross as a tie-breaker. So if two guys shot the same score in a gross comp, I would use it there.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Count back is the only viable option unfortunately. However, Golf is the only sport I know where rank average play is rewarded.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Why is it a wind up?

If a 9.5 and a 9.4 shoot the same score gross the 9.5 wins, why shouldnt the same apply if its a 9.4 v a 9.3?

Definitely a better option than countback imo, the one with the lower net score has won based on actual handicaps rather than roundings to a playing handicap which creates a tie

I expect this becomes redundant under WHS tho anyway