How passive or involved should the arms be?

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
.... In the downswing?

Simple question. Would love to hear your views.

:D

I dont want to get too into it as most will probably just roll their eyes Gar..... But in my opinion it depends on the type of player you are..... One Plane vs Two Plane...
A one planer will have a fairly rotational swing where the arms are along for the ride with the power coming from the turn of the shoulders mainly....

The 2 planer will be a bit more armsy than this..... More letting the weight of the clubhead bring the arms around the body....

lyden

Head Pro
Visit site
I swing them as fast as I can after I've unwound from the ground. Not sure this is the right way but I've tried using just my hips and I went from being an exceptionally long hitter to an exceptionally short and that's a compromise I'll never make.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I dont want to get too into it as most will probably just roll their eyes Gar..... But in my opinion it depends on the type of player you are..... One Plane vs Two Plane...
A one planer will have a fairly rotational swing where the arms are along for the ride with the power coming from the turn of the shoulders mainly....

The 2 planer will be a bit more armsy than this..... More letting the weight of the clubhead bring the arms around the body....

I cant say I agree. I am a flat, 1 plane swinger and no way does the power come from my shoulders. infact I think its anything but my shoulders.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Depends how far I want to throw it :D

OK Gareth :) Although it doesn't really matter that much. If you skim an imaginary pebble on an imaginary lake then you will find that your arms, torso, hips and legs all move in the most efficient manner without thinking about it and that it's a combination of all parts working in the correct sequence.

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
And how accurately do you want to skim it?
If you need to skim it along a specific line, with little margin for error, then you might want to reduce the number of working parts in your throw ;)

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
haven't changed much since then. still pretty much hooking it around the course. ill play a fade when I have just by opening stance and cutting it.

going to put some work into the driver over the winter. pretty happy with the irons as they are consistent distance wise. its just controlling the amount of curvature.

im sure you can see from that swing why I would struggle to find consistency with the driver.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What's your miss with the driver?

lol everywhere. I don't aim straight as im likely to come ott and slice it.

I either aim left, put the ball forward and cut it. or stand a bit closed and turn hands through in an attempt to turn it over right to left. takes a lot of timing as you can imagine.

its just a real battle from the tee and something I need to address before next summer.

lately ive just been clipping the thing down the middle to keep the spin down and keep it on the short stuff.

long wide courses are fine. I can just blast it and work it around. tight courses can be painful at times when im off song.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I'm not going to offer swing advice as you didn't ask for it but i would say that with your driver you should just pick one shape and stick to it, either the cut (which I now prefer) or the draw.

The cut is a face that is open to the path and the draw is a face that is closed to the path, it's VERY hard to master both. Even Tiger struggles and now plays the fade far more often, he got sick of blocking them into the right rough... now he prefers to slice it in there!! :whoo: