How often should you shoot more than 36 PTS off the yellows?

Kennysarmy

Visit site
As the title, if your handicap is accurate how often do you think (as a percentage of rounds played) you should be able to shoot more than 36 PTS playing off the yellow tees?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Still about 4/10 times if the handicap is accurate as the yellows will have it's own SSS for competitions. Our SSS is 69 (-1) off the yellows so you need 37 to play to handicap. I did manage 44 points earlier in the year (and a 3 shot cut) and yes the scores are usually lower in stablefords especially than off the whites at my place where 38/39 is usually thereabouts. Off the yellows that may be 40-42. In a medal a net 69/70 is usually competitive but you'll need 67/68 off the yellows. Only 458 yards difference but it poses different questions. I think assuming accurate handicapping though, it shouldn't make a difference which tee you play off and under handicap should be an exception not the norm

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
36 points doesn't always equal handicap...
If SSS is 2 below par then "playing to your handicap" is scoring 38
And if SSS is 2 above par then 34 points does it.
Doesn't answer the question I know but with some courses having SSS 3 or more below par off the yellow tees even 39 might not be making the number.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
1. Depends on handicap level
2. Depends on what 36 points relates to as #3 references. On one of our courses 37 pts = handicap, whilst the other yellows require 39.
3. Doesn't matter what colour tees at all - the equations are the same for all tees.

Very simply put you would expect a cat 1 to do it around 50%, cat 2 around 40, cat 3 around 30 and a cat 4 around 20% if that's what you are looking for.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
AS already said it is about CSS/SSS

Where I play off the yellows where there is no change to the Scratch Score 39 points is playing to handicap.

I have shot to this or better 3 times in the past year in competitions.