Hybrids,how do you hit yours

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Recently replaced by 4h with a 4i as the hybrid just came out too high.

Still got a 2h and had been struggling with it until I realised I was playing it too far forward in my stance, absolutely creaming it now. I never tee it up either, they're made to be hit from the floor and I find I get through it much better that way.

Jason.H

Visit site
My favourite clubs are my hybrids. I don’t think about iron or wood swings, it’s the swing that is appropriate to the length of the club and returning it to a good contact on the ball

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Don't know what the more lofted hybrids are like.

I carry a 24 which I find great out of deep rough that at most I would hit a 7 if using an iron. For fairway and tee shots I hit mine with a lot of height which gives me drop and stop so can hit it to a 'distance'.

I used to also carry a 29 for similar reason but have gone back to a 5 iron as I find I can use the one in my latest set of irons.

Jason.H

Visit site
I hit my 16° and 20° hybrids a bit like a 4-wood and 5-wood or perhaps like a 3-and-a-half-wood and a 5-wood.
Longest iron is a 21° and the hybrids are definitely a different type of shot from my irons.
Don't know what the more lofted hybrids are like.

My 25 degree hits high and will hold greens which I perhaps wouldn’t with a 5 iron.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
My 25 degree hits high and will hold greens which I perhaps wouldn’t with a 5 iron.
My Ping i10 5-iron is 27° and I can hit that high and hold greens.

Years ago I had a hole-in-one with a Ram Laser Fx Forged 2-iron that pitched the green. It was into the wind.

I take on board what you say about the more lofted hybrids, because I have no experience with them.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
I carry a 24 which I find great out of deep rough that at most I would hit a 7 if using an iron. For fairway and tee shots I hit mine with a lot of height which gives me drop and stop so can hit it to a 'distance'.

I used to also carry a 29 for similar reason but have gone back to a 5 iron as I find I can use the one in my latest set of irons.
When I am in the rough at my course I'm in amongst trees where I will need to hit a low trajectory shot to avoid hitting the branches.
If its lying well, I can do this with a 16° or 20° hybrid, otherwise it has to be an iron.
I'm often aiming at a gap in the trees and need to hit a low fade or draw for the ball to get back onto the fairway and run up that fairway. Best achieved with an iron club in my case.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Definitely like an iron and that’s how the likes of mark crossfield recommends too. It pops it up lovely with loads of forgiveness. Further ahead and I’d be in a world of hurt.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
More often than not I just throw the club into the back of the ball fairly level. There's probably an element of down in the strike but not excessive.

Jason.H

Visit site
Interestingly Titleist state their new TSR 2 hybrid is designed for a more sweeping motion and the TSR 3 ( for better ball strikers) is better for ball then turf .

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
I’ve got a couple of Titleist hybrids and absolutely love them.
Im not even sure how I hit them as I’m inconsistent anyway 😂😂

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just read through this thread sand it's a very mixed bag . It seems that a lot of you depend on your hybrids to get you out of trouble be it rough or the need to keep it low under branches and the like.
There also appears to be a split in the hit it like an iron or fw, .
For myself if I'm playing well I hit them pretty straight but I have a tendancy to put in the odd snap hook which can be an absolute scorecard killer.
I'm more of a fw type hitter and I'm generally looking for that extra bit of run from my shots , but it does depend on the course and particular shot I need ,eg a cross rough in front of the green wouldn't be a hybrid as I wouldn't get the run .

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Hybrids are cheating sticks. They are so easy to hit they shouldn't be allowed, especially if you hit them like a long iron and just sweep the ball off the fairway. I've got the 18 deg Ping Rapture

Voyager EMH

Visit site
Thanks chaps. I've never owned a 7-wood. I was ignorant regarding what loft one would be.

I'm getting my thinking up to date regarding the lofts of woods.

Driver up to 10
2-wood 11, 12
3-wood 13, 14
4-wood 15, 16
5-wood 17, 18
6-wood 19, 20
7-wood 21, 22

Either that or I'm more confused than ever. :LOL:

My old way of thinking was that a driver could be up to 12°.
That would mean,
2-wood 13, 14
3-wood 15, 16
4-wood 17, 18
5-wood 19, 20
6-wood 21, 22
7-wood 23, 24
which used to make sense to me, but things have clearly changed.
This was why I considered my 16° hybrid was a replacement for a 18° 4-wood.

I wonder when we will start to drop the odd numbers for irons. Odd numbers for woods and even numbers for irons. That would be nice.
2, 4, 6, 8, 10, PW, GW, SW, LW as a set of 9-irons that used to be 3-SW. :unsure:
Who knows what this century will bring us?

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks chaps. I've never owned a 7-wood. I was ignorant regarding what loft one would be.

I'm getting my thinking up to date regarding the lofts of woods.

Driver up to 10
2-wood 11, 12
3-wood 13, 14
4-wood 15, 16
5-wood 17, 18
6-wood 19, 20
7-wood 21, 22

Either that or I'm more confused than ever. :LOL:

My old way of thinking was that a driver could be up to 12°.
That would mean,
2-wood 13, 14
3-wood 15, 16
4-wood 17, 18
5-wood 19, 20
6-wood 21, 22
7-wood 23, 24
which used to make sense to me, but things have clearly changed.
This was why I considered my 16° hybrid was a replacement for a 18° 4-wood.

I wonder when we will start to drop the odd numbers for irons. Odd numbers for woods and even numbers for irons. That would be nice.
2, 4, 6, 8, 10, PW, GW, SW, LW as a set of 9-irons that used to be 3-SW. :unsure:
Who knows what this century will bring us?
My 7 wood is 22.5 by default, but I have it adjusted down one to 21.5, because I have a 23° hybrid so needed a bit more of a gap. Similarly with my 5 wood, which is 18.5 adjusted down to 17.5.