How much has golf changed?

craigstardis1976

Head Pro
Visit site
This thread is kind of inspired by the "Its not the same game" thread from a couple of days ago and I have been watching a lot of mid 1990's golf on youtube lately.

I can understand golf may have been different when everyone used wood woods and blades. But lets say for the average club golfer, have they really improved that much in say twenty years since the era of clubs like DCI irons, Callaway Big Bertha Woods and irons, King Cobra Woods and Irons and such like.

I understand people hit the modern oversized drivers further on average and that hybrids may help with the longer irons. But for forum members who recall playing in this era, would it hurt. Help or in the long run make little difference if you put that equipment in your bag today.

Incidentally, I have just moved to Arizona and am looking forward to my first desert golf next week.

Craig.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Looking back to the mid 80 to mid 90s when I was playing with blades, persimmon woods and wound balls, I was practising a lot, shooting mid eighties and breaking 80 was a real triumph.

Getting perimeter weighted irons (MacGregor JNP's - beautiful:)) around 1995 made hitting good iron shots easier

Getting my first metal driver (Ram Zebra) and fairway wood (Callaway Steelhead - an awesome club) added extra yards and accuracy

Spinny 2-piece balls (Top Flite Tour Edition and Maxfli Revolution) gave better ball flight, distance and control.

Getting first oversized driver (Callaway Great Big Bertha II) gave more distance and extra consistency.

Now I'm 20-30 years older, suffered a major illness, hardly practice and I'm still shooting mid 80's but breaking 80, although not common, happens more often. Having said that I can still shoot in the 90s.

Don't know what that shows. Easier maybe but possibly only making a marginal difference to my scores. But golf is a game of small margins. I think overall it seems easier to hit the ball well and the game feels more fun and less hard work. Good thing? I think on balance yes.

It would be fun to put put the old gear back in the bag and have a go with it but I'd rather stick with what I have.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Bearing in mind that many golf courses have been stretched out by several hundred yards since then, I think you would struggle to get the same scores with pre 1990's technology clubs and golf balls.

Last edited:

Paul77

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
When I was 13 I had an iron with dimples on the face and a bamboo shaft, that I would hit balls called Comando along a big field for hours on end. I'd make little holes everywhere with sticks standing out of them to pretend it was my course. The local Rugby/football team hated me for it. I then met a now good friend who also did the same and he gave me an old Ping Eye something 7 iron. We'd play there for hours, and also go round local courses in the rain looking for balls.

It wasn't until I was about 19 when I borrowed someones set that ended up being mine when they didn't want them. A set of Pinseeker wooded woods and irons. Big massive leather bag too. Weighed a ton. The irons were so small too. I was then taken to the local shop where I got my first "Oversize" MacGregor clubs. Golf really took off from then on in and purchases went from bad to worse over the years.

Happily now I own better clubs than I ever would have hoped to own and never take it for granted.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I started with a half set of Petron Impala irons (bladed) and woods (laminated) which I eventually added to until I had the full set. I knew no different and went on to Dunlop Maxfli Australian blades and Slazenger B52's. I was playing off single figures, most days but rarely practiced, just played. The only work I did was chipping and putting (note to self...there might just be something in that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I eventually stopped playing, finding other pursuits and when I came back technology had moved on. Most clubs had a cavity of some description and wooden heads were now metal. Again, I knew no different returning to the game. My handicap went up (and now plateaued) and to be honest I'm not sure I find it particularly easy these days. However I think it's hard to compare from generation to generation in any sport and of course things have moved on. I remember fondly my days of bladed clubs but would I want to go back?

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Equipment is better, there's more choice of good quality stuff from clubs and balls to waterproofs etc, courses are better and we all hit it further. Conversely it's harder to work the ball (technology in the ball is beyond measure compared to 30 years ago) and it's still MONUMENTALLY hard to get the little sucker in the hole. That bit will never change and is still central to the ongoing challenge for amateur golfers. Equipment improvement has hardly dented that particular problem for the likes of us.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Equipment is better, there's more choice of good quality stuff from clubs and balls to waterproofs etc, courses are better and we all hit it further. Conversely it's harder to work the ball (technology in the ball is beyond measure compared to 30 years ago) and it's still MONUMENTALLY hard to get the little sucker in the hole. That bit will never change and is still central to the ongoing challenge for amateur golfers. Equipment improvement has hardly dented that particular problem for the likes of us.
But at least putters have also improved over the years, with more heel-toe or perimeter weighting, face inserts, alignment aids, and fatter parallel grips. I agree that the hole is probably a bit too small, but that is another issue!

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
But at least putters have also improved over the years, with more heel-toe or perimeter weighting, face inserts, alignment aids, and fatter parallel grips. I agree that the hole is probably a bit too small, but that is another issue!

You're right, weighting, grips and MOI improvements do help but I bet many folks still struggle regardless - I know I have my days..!

Your reputation precedes you with the hole size debate (I actually have some sympathy on this issue, however), lets leave that debate for a quiet moment in the depths of winter ;)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Good players are good players, no matter the equipment. New technology helps poorer players, me, get around in a more forgiving manner. Tee boxes are getting moved further back, new courses are built longer, so some of the improvements in length are cancelled out but the forgiveness aspect makes the game a more pleasant one for the average golfer. The equipment is not going to turn me into a good golfer as that is still dependent on my swing, timing etc but it will cover up some of my bad shots better than the old gear.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
H
You're right, weighting, grips and MOI improvements do help but I bet many folks still struggle regardless - I know I have my days..!

Your reputation precedes you with the hole size debate (I actually have some sympathy on this issue, however), lets leave that debate for a quiet moment in the depths of winter ;)
I also forgot to mention that greens are generally smoother, faster and in better condition than they were 30 years ago, due to better green keeping techniques. However some courses are exceptions to this rule!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
As I posted before - I still have the equipment from that era but I am 40 years older....impossible to make any subjective analysis.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have an old driver that I took to AG intending to do a "trade-in" for a new driver. Didn't do that in the end but the guy in the shop and myself both hit a few shots. He (young guy, good golfer) could barely hit it 200 yards and I was nowhere near!

And that was an early metal one, not an old persimmon.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The greatest area of improvement in my game over the last couple of years has been in my putting. I think it no coincidence that this has come about following retiral of my 'old faithful' Acushnet Bullseye bought in 1984, it be usurped two years ago by a lovely Odyssey White Hot # 2 Center Shafted Putter - what a difference that has made to my confidence in my putting.

I might try taking my Wilson Staffs Fluid Feels out for a few holes and see how I get on :) Maybe I'll also unretire my Macgregor Tourney eye-o-matic driver - I was never able to hit it before so why I'd think I might be able to now I have no idea - but maybe it'll work with my 'new swing' (doubt it though)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Looking back to the mid 80 to mid 90s when I was playing with blades, persimmon woods and wound balls, I was practising a lot, shooting mid eighties and breaking 80 was a real triumph.

Getting perimeter weighted irons (MacGregor JNP's - beautiful:)) around 1995 made hitting good iron shots easier

Getting my first metal driver (Ram Zebra) and fairway wood (Callaway Steelhead - an awesome club) added extra yards and accuracy

Spinny 2-piece balls (Top Flite Tour Edition and Maxfli Revolution) gave better ball flight, distance and control.

Getting first oversized driver (Callaway Great Big Bertha II) gave more distance and extra consistency.

Now I'm 20-30 years older, suffered a major illness, hardly practice and I'm still shooting mid 80's but breaking 80, although not common, happens more often. Having said that I can still shoot in the 90s.

Don't know what that shows. Easier maybe but possibly only making a marginal difference to my scores. But golf is a game of small margins. I think overall it seems easier to hit the ball well and the game feels more fun and less hard work. Good thing? I think on balance yes.

It would be fun to put put the old gear back in the bag and have a go with it but I'd rather stick with what I have.

BiB - My first ever metal 'wood' was a fairly lofted Callaway Steelhead driver - bought that about 10 years ago. It was indeed truly awesome - probably as it took the place of my persimmon Macgregor e-o-m Tourney 3w for my tee shots. Sometimes think about taking the Steelhead out with me as a two wood.

JARS

Hacker
Visit site
BiB - My first ever metal 'wood' was a fairly lofted Callaway Steelhead driver - bought that about 10 years ago. It was indeed truly awesome - probably as it took the place of my persimmon Macgregor e-o-m Tourney 3w for my tee shots. Sometimes think about taking the Steelhead out with me as a two wood.

I have two sets of clubs; one here in Ireland and the other over in the UK. My set in the UK are older and used infrequently. The set includes Callaway Steelhead 3+ and 5 woods with steel shafts. I am always amazed at how small the heads look when i use them and also at how well i can hit them and how far they go. While i think driver technology has moved on hugely having to focus more because the club-face is smaller is not a bad thing. While drivers now have bigger faces so the length of their shafts have become longer, hence the need for a bigger face! Are we getting too bogged down with how far we hit the ball? Surely there is a happy medium between the length and consistency? Are manufacturers now going backwards in developmental terms as they are bringing out more mini drivers? There is something satisfying though puring a steelhead or blade.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

Ditto, apart from shooting in the mid 70's still. But... have Mashie and I maintained a good level because we still learn how to navigate. However, I took an old Titliest persimmon driver out a few years back. Hit out of the middle it was soooo sweet, but finding the middle was rare as hen's teeth.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
The greatest area of improvement in my game over the last couple of years has been in my putting. I think it no coincidence that this has come about following retiral of my 'old faithful' Acushnet Bullseye bought in 1984, it be usurped two years ago by a lovely Odyssey White Hot # 2 Center Shafted Putter - what a difference that has made to my confidence in my putting.

I might try taking my Wilson Staffs Fluid Feels out for a few holes and see how I get on :) Maybe I'll also unretire my Macgregor Tourney eye-o-matic driver - I was never able to hit it before so why I'd think I might be able to now I have no idea - but maybe it'll work with my 'new swing' (doubt it though)

I guess a fluid feel challenge is on the books...

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I used my old set of Titleist DCI irons for a month or so earlier this year, without affecting my scores too much. Only slight issue was that they are fitted with stiff shafts when, due to advancing years, I now play with lightweight regular shafts. The main difference to modern irons were the lofts, which were much weaker. The PW was almost identical in performance to my current GW, and I usually found myself hitting a 7-iron to a short par-3 when my mates were hitting 9-irons, but again the lofts and ball flights were pretty similar! Didn't find them at all difficult to hit.

Last edited:

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would love to see an feature in the magazine were some of the staff play with gear from different eras. Has there ever been anything like that? Balls might be a problem as they would age badly but maybe modern replicas of gutties and Dunlop 65s can be had.