how much effect will a shortened backswing have?

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
My backswing is now 3/4 of my old one (or so it feels) yet I find it a lot straighter and am actually a club longer. Does this mean if I can get a full backswing I can get more length or have I found the optimal backswing for distance and control for me?

I know some have massive overswing etc so just curious really :)

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
the answer is individual related - you would have to see what the numbers come up as on a monitor to fully appreciate any difference for you.

there is also a lot of difference between one persons 3/4 and anothers!

I would also point to Quiros who, as far as I am concerned, has a 3/4 swing.......

generally people who try and shift to a 3/4 swing short term will have more impact from the significant inherent change in timing that goes with it (this can be good or bad)

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I agree with duncan. I now swing shorter and signifcantly more rhythmic (slower) than ever and the results are there to see, last 3 rounds of 76,78,76 give it a try!

granters

Q-School Graduate
www.theirvinegolfclub.co.uk
I generally play with a 3/4 swing.when I'm struggling its usually because I'm swinging too long.I definitely hit the ball further with my shortened swing too as I get a more powerful efficient coil.when I'm swinging too long it dissipates.its like a sweet spot in the swing I find

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Long swings in high handicap golfers often include breakdowns in the arms leading to one of:

Chicken wing
Laying off of the club head
Casting
Loss of swing plane

Im am guilty of a few at the moment, sometimes I can do a nice full swing with none but often I include at least one of the above :(

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Shorter than what? If it's shorter than the club dropping over your back then that's good, if its so short that you cannot get enough momentum in the forward swing then that's not good. What you need in the backswing is width and if you get width then you will have a chance to optimise clubhead speed, you will also find it hard to overswing. If it's narrow and long then you will leak power.

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
According to Jorgensen, the gains in terms of distance from the effects of going beyond a 3/4 length backswing (9 o clock) is not huge.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My backswing is now 3/4 of my old one (or so it feels) yet I find it a lot straighter and am actually a club longer. Does this mean if I can get a full backswing I can get more length or have I found the optimal backswing for distance and control for me?

I know some have massive overswing etc so just curious really :)

I think you've answered your own question there.

It sounds similar to this thought that goes through my (and a lot of others I'd guess) mind sometimes.

I've just creamed that shot with a nice easy swing. Now if I just try to hit it harder it'll go a lot further.

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've just found the book, Jorgensen is suggesting from a standard swing you could reduce the backswing angle by 30 degrees and not suffer a substansial loss in clubhead speed (around 2.5%) and that's assuming contact remains good on both and a few other things.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
It sounds similar to this thought that goes through my (and a lot of others I'd guess) mind sometimes.

I've just creamed that shot with a nice easy swing. Now if I just try to hit it harder it'll go a lot further.

Now that DOES sound familiar............:whistle:

But, WHY do we believe it, its just NOT so, but were all guilty I bet :rolleyes:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

put this together with new/trial club syndrome and you have a very complete picture of why we have handicaps!

" now we have established that the club works OK let's see what I can really do with it...."

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I am suppose to be shorter and certainly not long and across the line as I tend to be. The longer the club goes back, the further it has to travel and in theory the more that needs to be done to make sure it is square at impact. Hence why a nice 3/4 wedge is usually right on the money and a big "take the cover off it" 6 iron goes left or right and abotu 120 yards. For me it is more tempo though. If I can get into a nice tempo (I'm always going to be quick) I can control it much better in terms of the length of swing and unsurprisingly get better results

Swinger

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm never too worried about swing length but I do try and get each swing over with as quickly as possible.

The quicker you get the swing over with the less time there is for something to go wrong!!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
My back swing is shorter than it used to be. Well, it looks that way, but actually isn't. What I was doing, was getting near the top of my back swing, and then leaning my spine towards the target. This had the effect of lengthening the back swing, but adds nothing, just puts me in a position it is hard to get back from. Some times shortening the swing has nothing to do with taking the club back less far, but more to do with being technically correct.