How much are you looking forward to Winter?

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Im dont mean in a weather sense for playing but a work sense..... Iv put in a lot of hard work over the winter last year until the start of this season.... And although its practically written in stone that you should leave your mechanics for the range its something that i struggle with.....
I could never understand fully the reasoning behind freeing your mind when your playing and work on your faults on the range.... How are you supposed to put into practice when your playing on the course what your working on the range if your not thinking about what you need to do...

Anyway.... Its also said that when you cure one fault something else pops up..... I can attest to this... Curing a swingplane problem that may have only seen me get to a 9 or a 10 handicap at best has thrown up a few smaller issues that although maybe subtle in their nature are having me battle a little at times on the course....

Im really looking forward to putting in another winter of work this season before the start of 2014..... I know what i need to be working on and iv decided to get 1 lesson every six weeks from the end of this season...... Iv lost nearly 4 full shots of my handicap this year and i know when you get to Cat 2 it becomes a little harder to drop the handicap but i feel that ill be in a much better way swing wise next year than i am this year....
What i need to work on although a relatively common problem for players i feel i will get over that hurdle but it aint going to be easy....

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Heading back for lessons this winter (first time in 15 years or so). My game has slowly gotten worse this past while and between that and fitness, I have decided to try and sort it out.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
If I was inclined to work on my game, I'd rather interspace range time with course time. Seems a bit limiting to do the majority of the work at a time of the year when its harder to find out if you're going down the right road.

lyden

Head Pro
Visit site
Im playing the best golf of my life with only one qualifier left.....so no. Wish my club had at least 1 a month in Winter.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
If I was inclined to work on my game, I'd rather interspace range time with course time. Seems a bit limiting to do the majority of the work at a time of the year when its harder to find out if you're going down the right road.

Thats what i do Pal... the majority of winter comps are usually stableford... So ill do at least 2 range sessions during the winter as well as play at the weekends...... Ill always play through the winter...

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
don't understand the question

we play Q comps all year, the range is open all year, the short game area is open all year and the professional staff remain available.....

all 'winter' brings is shorter days and pressure on tee times at weekends - despite being a 7 day member I play less at weekends over winter to let the others get a game :)

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
don't understand the question

:)

More for the fact of making changes and working to iron out creases in the game rather than playing in the winter Duncan......
I look forward to getting my head around the issues that i have and hopefully coming back a stronger and more consistent player of the game next season....
I have to be happy with this seasons achievements......

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
More for the fact of making changes and working to iron out creases in the game rather than playing in the winter Duncan......
I look forward to getting my head around the issues that i have and hopefully coming back a stronger and more consistent player of the game next season....
I have to be happy with this seasons achievements......

ah, so the question really becomes ' do you treat golf as a series of seasons?'

as such it's an excellent question, with some quite deep issues.

personally I treat winter as the enjoyable golfing period when I play because I want to, and the weather and my mood co-incide - from May through late Sept it's currently dominated by matches and competitions, regardless of how I feel or what the weather does!

nosey003

Hacker
Visit site
I would agree with winter coming it seems to have given me a sense of relief where i hope to go away and try to improve and hopefully start next season as a better golfer.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Actually I like playing in winter, I love layering up and heading out on a chilly morning.

My course drains well so its winter golf not winter practice for me!

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not a lot , I'll lose about 20yrds on my drives 10/15yrds on my irons due to cold air and no run. Makes it hard on a short hitter like me , when playing a full length course.:(sad, cold and wet.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Had a lesson with my pro on Friday. Not a big change but just to see how it was looking and tighten a few things up. He doesn't want to make too many changes over the winter but keep chipping away at what I now have after the work last year and consolidated on the course in 2013. The pleasing thing was the biggest thing he wants to focus on is the short game. He thinks the swing, while not perfect is a lot more reliable and if I can chip, pitch and put better scores will tumble

NST

Head Pro
Visit site
Winter gone was my first as a golfer, I was out in all weathers. Might be a bit more selective this year as far as rain is concerned. I'd be happy with one round and two range sessions per week.

Phil2511

Global Moderator
www.britespark.org
Heading back for lessons this winter (first time in 15 years or so). My game has slowly gotten worse this past while and between that and fitness, I have decided to try and sort it out.

Similar for me, after being lazy all year and playing like a tube I've started to get moving and set myself targets. Already 2st 6lbs weight off since beginning of August I plan on getting a lot more off before April and work hard on my swing.
My biggest problem has been fitness. I managed to shoot level par through 7 holes and had 23 points and then just fell apart from fatigue. I hope to get my fitness up to a level where I'd be able to walk off 18 and feel I'd be fine to play another 18.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Similar for me, after being lazy all year and playing like a tube I've started to get moving and set myself targets. Already 2st 6lbs weight off since beginning of August I plan on getting a lot more off before April and work hard on my swing.
My biggest problem has been fitness. I managed to shoot level par through 7 holes and had 23 points and then just fell apart from fatigue. I hope to get my fitness up to a level where I'd be able to walk off 18 and feel I'd be fine to play another 18.

How is the fitness going? 2st 6lbs is a good start. Do you have an optimum target? Is fatigue coming about through dehydration or not snacking on course?

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Looking forward to the winter again this year a couple of lessons with a new pro then range sessions at night during the week and start to ramp up the fitness going 3 times instead of twice.

Also we have our Eclectic with 19 guys playing this year so a big pot to win come March also my place plays full course with no matts so all the more to make winter golf good.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Im playing the best golf of my life with only one qualifier left.....so no. Wish my club had at least 1 a month in Winter.

been playing some good stuff recently myself. no comps at our place this weekend so ive put two supplementary cards in.

equalled my personal best of +4 on Saturday. +13 today in awful weather today. wee cut and and 0.1 on the way! :p