HOW MANY WEDGES DO YOU CARRY?

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
56 degree vokey spinmill and Mizuno black Ni 60degree with 4 deg bounce, excellent for those 'no other option but high' shots and wet bunkers.
The 56 degree spinmill, I use for most shots under 100 yds (assuming reasonable weather and surface) otherwise I can play 6i-pw depending on amount of room for roll out etc.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
2. Unless I play a short course, then 3. (rather have an extra fairway/utility for the long hauls).

PW (from the set) 48*
SW Mizuno TP 56* low bounce

LW - Callaway 60* tour
AW - Callaway 52* tour - Mid-wedge between PW and SW, can be useful, solves the 25 yd gap between the two I carry.

Dave

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
60degree with 4 deg bounce, excellent for those 'no other option but high' shots and wet bunkers.
With you on this one, nothing worse than having to nip one with the face cranked open and a lump of bounce messing it up!

Dave

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
At the moment i have a 60 , 54, 48 wedges. Because ive been going a bit dave pelz im thinking of getting four. but instead of an XL 64deg wedge. Im propbably gonna get new vokeys in 48,52,56,and 60. I think i've been crying out for that 52.
Not sure whether to get a 54 spinmilled and get it bent to 52. Would that spin too much possibly?
Also is there any pros or cons with the oil can finish or is it just for aesthetics?

I use pretty much all my wedges equally.

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I play my PW, GW and SW from my fp set and carry a 60deg mizuno for the high stuff!

Do feel like you have upset the rest of your bag now that you got a mizuno club. :) Do the cobras feel you cheat on them ? :D

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have 48,52 and 56 on my wedges.
I find I can open the 56* to lift the ball.

Like most mad eager high handicappers (off 21 in 1998) I had a 64* lob wedge that cost me £200.

£29.99 for the club

£170 for golf balls cos I thinned them through the green, off the course and into thick bonsai where even Mr Miagi would never wander.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
20yd lobs heading off like scalded cats dont impress me so I try to cut the percentages as much as possible of that happening! the 4 degree bounce could skim a sheet of a4 off the ground its pretty handy for zero grass lies too.

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have 48,52 and 56 on my wedges.
I find I can open the 56* to lift the ball.

Like most mad eager high handicappers (off 21 in 1998) I had a 64* lob wedge that cost me £200.

£29.99 for the club

£170 for golf balls cos I thinned them through the green, off the course and into thick bonsai where even Mr Miagi would never wander.

Too funny mate!! :) :) :)

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Started with just a pitching wedge and sand wedge from my set of Di7s but the difference in loft was so great that had to buy the gap wedge (seems to be a bit of a trend at the moment, 8 or 9 degree difference between PW and SW in a set o firons so have to buy the extra gap wedge. A cynical ploy to get more money?) Have since added a Nike Tour SV 60 degree lob wedge.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
48° 1025m (from the set), 54° and 58° vokey spin milled. Don't use the 58 unless I really have to. Too much danger of fat or thin shots with the occasional shank thrown in.

Got a 56° and 60° Cleveland 588 with my own custom grind up in the roof, just in case I ever need to carry 5 wedges. Have lent my 64° to someone, but can't remember who.

The vokeys are oil can, so nice dull finish. The 1025m has very high polished chrome, which due to the loft, sends a beam of light like a ray gun, straight into your eyes at address on a sunny day. Useful. Not.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site

ahh, daniel-son, you tell very wise joke.

Mr. Miagi xxx

Trueblue

Head Pro
Visit site
Howdy all, been on extended holiday with the missus, unfortunately no golf - so have missed the forum chat!!

I carry two wedges Titleist Vokeys 54 and 58 - love'em!!

B

birdieman

I have 3 wedges, 48 deg CG1 and 53 and 58 degree Mizuno TP wedges. I have four 'clockface' yardages taped on the back of each shaft i.e 7.30, 9.00 and 10.30 and full shot. These have been measured with a measuring wheel, hit a bunch of shots of your preferred competition ball at a controlled speed and take the average distance. Do this for each club for 4 clockface swings = 12 measurements -more than enough to cover you on almost any pitch shot. It gives great confidence of what to hit within 120 yards of the flag. Some people will suggest that is unnescessary but all you are doing is taking as many variables out of the equation as possible leaving you confident in what you are hitting and just playing the shot rather than thinking 'how hard do I hit this?'
I would highly recommend this method. I was put onto it by a scratch player and also see Justin Rose recommends it.
I used to carry 4 wedges but needed a 2 rescue more. With 4 wedges there were too many choices, better 3 I think.