How many clubs would you like to see pros use?

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I've got five wedges (of sorts) but the only one I'd definitely keep is the Sure Out 64 which has saved me losing a dozen balls a year. The other four do pretty much the same thing ie not much

I have 4 which is actually ridiculous if I think about it.

I will hit by PW full a bit, all the others are bit players, I am sure I could survive with 3 wedges perfectly fine, I just don't have to because I can have them all

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
I have 4 which is actually ridiculous if I think about it.

I will hit by PW full a bit, all the others are bit players, I am sure I could survive with 3 wedges perfectly fine, I just don't have to because I can have them all

My A wedge (which I genuinely don't know what it stands for) could easily still be in the wrapper. It's all become a bit of a comfort blanket when most of us could lose two clubs and it would change nothing. And clear our heads a bit

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
At the moment the focus is all on making the game “harder” when really it should be on making the game “shorter”.

As the number of clubs has no positive impact on time or length in golf then it isn’t worth investigating.

AAC

Visit site
The responses seem to have morphed away from the OP which was relating to how many clubs for a Pro to how many does an amateur need/want, the amateur club game bears absolutely no resembalence to the pro game and in truth 95% of us could do perfectly ok with 7 clubs, I remember Peter Allis saying the the average pro could beat an amateur with a rolled up umbrella & a hockey stick, probably not too far off the truth.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
At the moment the focus is all on making the game “harder” when really it should be on making the game “shorter”.

As the number of clubs has no positive impact on time or length in golf then it isn’t worth investigating.

I actually think less clubs would be a good thing in this respect. Having less clubs makes it easier for the beginner, but harder at the top level. Its perfect for that...

D

Deleted member 1147

I’d just like to see than play courses where they need to use all of the clubs in the bag. Not just driver and wedge.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I’d just like to see than play courses where they need to use all of the clubs in the bag. Not just driver and wedge.

I agree.

Golf courses should be a minimum of 12,000 yards, with one set of tees for all.

Back to the OP, I would be fine with pro's having 10. They don't need 14. Probably no one does. First though, I would still make a much spinnier golf ball, much like the old balata.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Just read this...

In 1913 Francis Ouimet won the US Open carrying just seven clubs, in 1934 Lawson Little used 31 clubs when winning the British Amateur.

Boomy

Visit site
Certainly no caddie should be allowed on the green, or assist in the putting decision process.
( sorry, off topic)

I think they should have to do without a caddie rather than reduce the number of clubs.

Agree with both statements above. When learning their craft it was highly unlikely that they had a caddie to help/support them along the way so why should it be a given when they become pro. Yes have a caddie to carry the bag, but that is it - the golfer is 100% responsible for their own game. Less fairway and green debate, the golfer plays it as he sees it just like when learning as an amateur. Oh and leave with 14 clubs :cool:

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
1 a driver for everything. See how many -20 we see :ROFLMAO:

In all honesty I don't see why 14 would need changing.

CJL

Visit site
Think like mosts sports the pros and amateurs should follow the same rules and have same equipment were possible, so 14.

I think manufacturerers would be scared of losing money if they reduced the amount of clubs you had, so can't see them letting that happen. If anything they'd increase it to 15 ?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Even 14 for choppers like us is too many. I could combine my 3w and 5w for a 4w, my 19h and 24h for a 21h, I am not convinced my 5i is consistently any longer than my 6i, or well hit, shorter than my hybrid. That is 3 clubs dropped without even thinking too hard, or readjusting lofts, or having to manufacture shots.

evemccc

Visit site
Robert Rock said this which is why I'm interested. I care as I think golf is everything by numbers these days and, as great as custom fitting is, there is a club for every occasion.

"If we were to drop to 13 the 5-wood would be the first club to go, which would leave a big gap between my 3-wood and 4-iron, and if we then were only allowed to carry 12 clubs then that would be really interesting. Now I would have to miss out on both my 5w/3i and my lob wedge and that would make it a very different game. If I only had a 56˚ wedge I probably wouldn't even attempt some shots but with more loft I'm OK and I'm not sure that's right. Today's short-game stars would prosper and there would be more emphasis on skill so I don't think it would be the worst move (in the professional game) if there was a limit to how much loft you could have in your wedges."

All that said, I see we both carry the Sure Out wedge (which is amazing)

It's a v interesting point.
I think golf is similar to cycling or triathlon, in that there are always additional equipment or things with which to spend money on, in the hope of making us better (or faster). Far more so than in most other sports and hobbies I can think of. It's a battle I am constantly having with myself...should I buy X as it might help make me shoot a lower score etc etc.

I don't think it would happen in reality and there are huge vested interests (OEMS) against it, but good for a discussion.
I don't yet have 14 clubs, I'm on 12 but the 12th was only added during lockdown and so yet to be played. But in my head I can already see how 15 clubs would be ideal - which to leave out then?!

It'd be fun to see pros have a limit of 10 clubs and a loft limit at 56 degrees, plus a roll-back to non-forgiving persimmon drivers...why not? It'd be fun. Pros have hit so many shots they know exactly the distance of each club....factor in the range-finder and hittng to a target is nothing like as interesting as it would be with no caddies, no rangefinders and the need to manufacture half, three-quarter shots.

It'd be more a test of judgement of distance, as well as imagination, and execution. Target golf is more just a test of execution.
Plus, all the missed greens stemming from pros not knowing the exact distance and not having a club for every distance would be great for testing the short-game of the pros. Great for TV viewers too!

birdyhunter

Visit site
It'd be more a test of judgement of distance, as well as imagination, and execution

It'd be fun to see pros have a limit of 10 clubs and a loft limit at 56 degrees

Some of the most skillful, imaginative and well executed shots have been from the likes of Tiger or Phil opening up a 60 or 64 from 10 yards off the green, taking a full swing from a buried lie in heavy rough and landing the ball next to the pin, it's unbelievable skill.

Why would anyone not want to see them do that?

evemccc

Visit site
Some of the most skillful, imaginative and well executed shots have been from the likes of Tiger or Phil opening up a 60 or 64 from 10 yards off the green, taking a full swing from a buried lie in heavy rough and landing the ball next to the pin, it's unbelievable skill.

Why would anyone not want to see them do that?

I don’t dispute that.
To be honest my post may have been poorly written, but the gist of it combined the idea of Pros having no caddy or rangefinder, with a greatly reduced number of clubs available to them (scratch the idea about 56 being the limit if you like...that was only part of it) Pros having less exact yardages and full shots to those yardages where they can land it on a sixpence. It would be more missed greens so they’d be likely more of those shots you like

evemccc

Visit site
Why not blindfold them and make them play with one hand?

Three-cheers for the condescension..

It's a non-realistic discussion, I doubt anyone thinks clubs will reduce for pros from 14 to 10, and I doubt anyone thinks caddies and range-finders will ever be prohibited. But it's a 'what if' discussion..

Why would I want distances to be 'guesswork'?
Because to me I find that more interesting and it adds extra layers of complexity to the shot.
For example, if a player estimates by using his sight and judgement that a shot is 90 yards, he then still has to hit it to that yardage.
If it's a links course running firm and fast, he'll estimate distance, then work out carry, bounce and release, and wind too. All sorts of calculations and estimations are required. That, to me, is more interesting than the other side of the spectrum - a parkland course where a pro uses a range-finder or expert caddy who's walked the course and just has to hit it 90 yards, because that's what the rangefinder says. He's a PGA Tour pro he's hit thousands of balls 90 yard using launch monitors and so it's just repetition of something done thousands of times honed before on his Trackman at home.

Yes there's skill in strategising the hole and leaving a favourite distance to the hole, but a 90 yard target-golf stock shot isn't as intriguing as watching the other example - to me ;)