Votes: 14 18.2%
  • 81-100

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • Over 100

Votes: 3 3.9%

• Total voters

YandaB

Visit site
There was a thread that started mentioning costs of course changes and someone mentioned the number of bunkers at their course. I have often thought that our course has a large number of bunkers (70) but I don't know how that compares with others. Short of visiting more courses (which I would like to, and will do), a poll might give me a flavour for other courses.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have counted them in the past, I believe it is exactly 100.

Some of them are between holes and come into play when playing in either direction.

Some days it seems you just can’t avoid them.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
76 on our main course, I was in ten of them on Sunday which seemed like a lot to be fair.

We've taken plenty out recently but there are still a few I'd like to see removed. Some of them don't add anything to the course

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
46…all rebuilt over last five yrs, with some repositioned or new - all eco bunkers theoretically requiring minimal build maintenance.

Mandofred

Visit site
Just a quick think....came up with about 45, more than enough. I'm not a big bunker fan, plenty of other less costly things you can do on the course to make it interesting.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think we have 37.
One hole doesn't have any, a couple have one.
We only have one that is not either green side or just short of the green designed to catch the second shot.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've just counted and it's 55.

Interestingly our stroke index 1 has the joint-least with only 1, and I'm pretty sure it's also the smallest.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
44. Lost half a dozen or so over the last few years.
We work on a lot of golf courses and there is a definite shift to fill in bunkers.
Usually fairway ones most people can’t reach.
Some are left to grow wild and are harder to play out of than proper bunkers.😳

It’s a cost cutting thing as sand now is very expensive!

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
I have no idea how many bunkers we have on our club's course.
We only have a few fairway bunkers, and they're not in the middle of the fairway as in the UK.
They're strategically located to prevent errant shots from getting into even greater trouble such as OB.

As for green-side bunkers, the mixture of front protected greens and run-on capable greens is obviously deliberate.
Most importantly, we have no bunkers that require steps to get in or out of them.
I really like what I see of UK courses on TV, but you do get a bit weird with bunkers, I must say.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Just 9 bunkers on my course , one less than the 10 bunkers that Golfmmad played at a par 3 at Hillbarn Worthing the other week

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just over 40 - I think! One hole has no bunkers. The total may change over the next few years as we are in the middle of a bunker upgrade program and we have moved/split some of the larger bunkers and some of the remaining ones may become 2