how long are you set over the ball, before you hit it ?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
playing yesterday we caught a two ball( couple) on the 16th at Dornoch. they walked onto the 17th tee the which the ladies is right next to the 16th green, so waited for them to tee off before we putted out. The woman stood over the ball for an age.... i mean minuets. He topped it and put another down. as i was next to my trolley i pressed the timer as she addressed the ball.

2 mins 11 sec.

when we tee'd off we timed each other over the ball. I was 4 sec, Gordon 6

PS they let us through half way down the hole

Spoorsy

Club Champion
Visit site
Depends how confident or how well I've been playing, sometimes I psych myself out by overthinking, then I have to stop and re-address, I've hit a few good shots in a row it's normally about 5 to 10 seconds

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would think I only take a few seconds, we do have one girl at our club who seems to take ages, she has lots of lessons and I guess she has loads of swing thoughts going through her head.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
normally once im over the ball I pull the trigger almost immediately, bunker for some reason i count to 5 :)O) no idea y! currently with the driver its a little bit longer, 5/6 secs as i have no confidence in it, i am sure the longer stint over the ball doesnt help! we timed a guy infront of us a few weeks back as we thought he was slow over the ball and it it came out at 55 secs, seems he is pretty speedy in comparison!!

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
playing yesterday we caught a two ball( couple) on the 16th at Dornoch. they walked onto the 17th tee the which the ladies is right next to the 16th green, so waited for them to tee off before we putted out. The woman stood over the ball for an age.... i mean minuets. He topped it and put another down. as i was next to my trolley i pressed the timer as she addressed the ball.

2 mins 11 sec.

when we tee'd off we timed each other over the ball. I was 4 sec, Gordon 6

PS they let us through half way down the hole

Two guys in front of us in a comp on Sat. On the 7th hole we'd played up to the green and they were on the tee. The slow one (we'd already noticed how slow he was) positioned himself over the ball when we started walking from the 150 marker. We reached the green and were still stood there for about 10 seconds before he actually hit it!

Fortunately it was a 2 ball and the other guy was pretty quick so we never really got stuck behind them.

Painful to watch though.

Suppose must be even more painful to not be able to get the club going once you are stood there.

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
On reflection I probably take about 3 seconds once completely set but there are people at our club that seem to fall asleep at address, one bloke literally stands there like a shop manikin, doesn't move, doesn't sway, just stands there rigid as a scaffold plank for about 2 minutes...

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Never thought about it. Ten seconds, maybe? You can think a lot in ten seconds. Don't think waiting any longer makes it better after that.

I always get itchy when I watch players who waggle the club ten times or more.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
How would i know? If i start counting, then that would be distracting, and may be take longer. If i start a stop watch, ditto.

I could ask my playing partners to time me, but they might think i am a bit weird.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm probably in the 5-10 second camp. Enough time to make sure I am set correctly, concentrate on a key thought and then go. Any longer and the whole swing becomes stiff, rigid and awful.

The situation described by the OP would be purgatory to watch or be a part of.

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
As quick as possible once I am in my posture. I will focus on the target for a few seconds, look back to the ball and go. It's something I am trying to get better at as I always have felt standing over the ball for longer very seldom results in a better outcome, as posted above. Probably 5-8 seconds max.

thesheriff

Head Pro
Visit site
I spend very little time over the ball, probs in the region of 5 seconds. I think it breeds a more confident, positive approach to the shot.

Also have a quick pre-shot routine and I don't even take practice swings. This is probably from having played rounds with the better players at the club, none of whom seem to take any practice swings so have probably picked up on their habits.

Seems to be working so far and I know that most players get a bit peeved at other players with lengthy routines.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
No idea but it's not long....around the 5 second mark of say.

I do chuckle sometimes at these people having a "golfing experience"....

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Probably too long... sometimes I feel I freeze a bit (a la Westwood) but hopefully always at least 2 minutes less than the lady in the OP! 😨

At least they called you through!

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
If I was regularly playing with someone who took over 2 minutes to hit the ball I think I'd have to bring a portable stool and newspaper. That's about 40 minutes of waiting on the tee per round.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
If I was regularly playing with someone who took over 2 minutes to hit the ball I think I'd have to bring a portable stool and newspaper. That's about 40 minutes of waiting on the tee per round.

these looked like Husband a wife. not that old either 40's max

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Noticed yesterday how little time Leishman spends over the ball, compared to say someone like Jason Day.

I guess i spend less than 10 seconds over the ball, anymore and I'd really mess the shot up rather than mess it up a little bit.

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
anything near 2 minutes is ridiculous. My pre-shot routine is to have one practice swing. A look from behind the ball to pick out a spot for alignment. setup. Settle. Hit.

All in all probably takes 30 seconds.