How is your course in the winter ?

G1z1

Visit site
Has golf clubs ever done a summer time only membership? I know loads do a winter membership

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Ours is in fantastic nick, with greens in particular as good as any I have seen anywhere in the U.K. at this time of year. There are one or two areas near tees, where there is a lot of traffic, that are a bit boggy but otherwise the course is in really good condition.

It really comes into its own in winter, and as such is excellent value as a year round venue. The only time it closes is in snow, and even then the greenkeepers have been known to clear the greens so we can have a bit of cross country fun.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Ours was very wet yesterday in parts. I was surprised it was open.

The tees and greens were surprisingly good though, apart from where the crows had been digging up.
There is a lot of wear in the areas around some tees where people all follow the same line instead of looking at where it is wet/muddy and walking somewhere else (there is space).

The really annoying thing is the amount of damage being done by trollies, despite there being a ban.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
In answer to the original question - it's an absolute mess. We're on clay and the place becomes an absolute bog.

I know it is only marketing, but when I see the club advertise yearly membership as 'only £xxx per month', I always feel a bit cheesed off - you can't play there for all 12 months of the year, it's more like 9.

I remember a couple of years ago my mates played it one winter weekend, and I asked them how the course was holding up. The first reply I got was: 'It's sloppier than Katie Price's xxxxx.'

I'll let you work out the expletive.

dronfield

Visit site
Our course has a no closure policy - we have 20 holes and in winter re route the course to remove 2 holes on the summer front 9 that don't drain well. The course is parkland and does get very wet in certain areas, but the club is keen to keep it open at all times (unless conditions are dangerous, eg, fog).

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Played today. Course was very wet and in poor nick even though I had 35 points with some duffed chips and pitches and three putts. Was carry only, quite rightly but my fear is as soon as the five day members play tomorrow back to trolleys.

sunshine

Visit site
Played today. Course was very wet and in poor nick even though I had 35 points with some duffed chips and pitches and three putts. Was carry only, quite rightly but my fear is as soon as the five day members play tomorrow back to trolleys.

You posted yesterday that your course shouldn’t be open because it was in poor condition and getting damaged. So why are you playing then?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
You posted yesterday that your course shouldn’t be open because it was in poor condition and getting damaged. So why are you playing then?
Carry only and open and I didn't play yesterday. My group were diligent about sticking to paths and roped off areas. According to those that played yesterday say the course was much drier thanks to the strong winds overnight but still very wet

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
For an inland parkland I think it does pretty well. They don't have winter greens, and use the tee boxes, no ropes. There are some soggy areas, try and be sensible. I've been carrying but it isn't mandated. Think it helps that the membership is small and the hotel is closed for refurbishment.
But.... moles! There's usually a bit of evidence of them, but seems this winter they are on a mission. Loads of new mounds and some closing in on playing areas.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
My course do not have a specific policy. They tend to try and keep it open and as accessible as possible for all but are very inconsistent with their decisions.

We played on Saturday afternoon with 15 holes open, this was following a morning of fairly heavy rain. During the round we both agreed that it was very unlikely that the course would be open Sunday for the regular Sunday league.

There was no further rain, but I was still surprised to see that not only was it open, but they had 18 holes on. Today without having had any further rain it is back to 15 holes. I wonder who could have been playing in yesterday's competition?

I could have posted this in the golfing irritations thread;)

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Question for people who’s home course really suffers in the winter. How bad does it get and does it make you travel to play better draining courses ?
My home course is lovely in the summer and would say it’s easily the best in the area but come winter it’s by far the worst ive seen never mind my area. I Was supposed to play this morning and 15mm of rain made it close. Starting to think about switching to a better draining course that I don’t like as much.
I find myself now travelling down to ayrshire most mornings to play links golf. Frustrating as I really enjoyed my local course the most but it’s unplayable mostly in winter :cry:

Our course is now closed, probably until April.
The club is still open, however, and I still go to hang out occasionally.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
In answer to the original question - it's an absolute mess. We're on clay and the place becomes an absolute bog.

I know it is only marketing, but when I see the club advertise yearly membership as 'only £xxx per month', I always feel a bit cheesed off - you can't play there for all 12 months of the year, it's more like 9.

I remember a couple of years ago my mates played it one winter weekend, and I asked them how the course was holding up. The first reply I got was: 'It's sloppier than Katie Price's xxxxx.'

I'll let you work out the expletive.
Question on the cost that irritates you…is your club advertising a monthly membership scheme, however that is arranged - or are they simply dividing an annual membership commitment by 12 to give a monthly cost of membership.