How focussed is Your Club on the needs of Members?

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
My current place is pretty good. They send out regular e mails giving all sorts of info on the course, clubhouse, events, comps etc. The new clubhouse people that have taken over are very focused on providing what the members want. The greens staff work hard trying to keep the massive amoutnts of water that fall from the sky off the course, Although the greens could do with some effort. So in response to the OP I'd say good.

HarrogateHacker

Visit site
I play at a members club, I’ve just read through the latest version of the long term plan and member experience is at the heart of all, so I would say the members are considered and very well looked after (but I’m sure you can’t keep all of them happy)

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Pretty good at my club.

Our club makes a lot of their money off green fees, societies and the mini-golf course on site. Membership costs are very low for adults (£44 p/m) and theres a great range of discounted categories too. Bar and pro shop staff are great, Ive developed good relationships with a lot of them since I joined and have had a few membership perks from the staff on "slow" or quiet days. (Free buggy for a few evening holes or a cheeky bowl of chips here and there).

The owners are great, I have their direct contact details if I have a major problem. Cant ask for more really

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
When I used to manage clubs I used to get upset when staff treated members/non members/customers differently.
A good example would be the old guy who came in four to five times a week for a basic lunch mainly on his own.
One day the the catering staff were very busy with a large golf society they treated the old boy as if he was a bit of a pain.
I had a word and then told them that this guy spends over £1000 a year and a society member was paying about £10 for a one off meal.

BTW members do not like to be treated the same as everyone else, most think that they are more important than the ordinary members.:eek::cool::love:

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I always felt that my old club was run for the benefit of a section of members but not for all. The great and the good of the club were allowed an invitation only roll up on Wednesdays and at weekends and many of the decisions seemed to be geared around what they wanted as opposed to what may have been for the long term good of the club and its growth. Just one of the reasons I am currently not a member of a club at the moment.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My club is a traditional Surrey members club - but one that is forward looking with developments in golf and with the developing needs of members (experienced club members; and new and experienced golfers new to being a member of a golf club) - with decisions and developments being made always keeping our traditional roots and guiding principles in mind. That said - whilst in my club all members are equal it is true that some consider themselves to more equal than others - however the rest of us know that, and we are vigilant against proposed change that might simply be the personal views of specific individuals and not more widely agreed as being for the longer term benefit of members and the club.

Having said that it will be interesting to hear what the membership thinks of the significant 'under-scrub' and small tree thinning that has ben done all round the course these last weeks whilst we've been shut - as well as the removal of one significant tree from a hole that has very noticeably changed the look of the hole and how we can play it. I don't recall the work being included in the club's Winter Work programme for this winter (may have been).

All the changes that have been done are IMO for the benefit of the course - but I suspect that some may think differently...as some always will. But we'll see. Bottom line is that I trust our committees to do the right thing - and as said - I know that we have vigilant and vocal members on all committees.

Last edited:

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My club is a traditional Surrey members club - but one that is forward looking with developments in golf and with the developing needs of members (experienced club members; and new and experienced golfers new to being a member of a golf club) - with decisions and developments being made always keeping our traditional roots and guiding principles in mind. That said - whilst in my club all members are equal it is true that some consider themselves to more equal than others - however the rest of us know that, and we are vigilant against proposed change that might simply be the personal views of specific individuals and not more widely agreed as being for the longer term benefit of members and the club.

Having said that it will be interesting to hear what the membership thinks of the significant 'under-scrub' and small tree thinning that has ben done all round the course these last weeks whilst we've been shut - as well as the removal of one significant tree from a hole that has very noticeably changed the look of the hole and how we can play it. I don't recall the work being included in the club's Winter Work programme for this winter (may have been).

All the changes that have been done are IMO for the benefit of the course - but I suspect that some may think differently...as some always will. But we'll see. Bottom line is that I trust our committees to do the right thing - and as said - I know that we have vigilant and vocal members on all committees.

That reminds me of my time in Surrey [1970s] where a club had a small [historical] tree in the middle of a fairway.
It was a marmite tree, some loved it and some hated it.
Early one morning the greenstaff discovered that 'someone' had chainsawed it in the middle of the night.
Might have been Farnham. :D

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
That reminds me of my time in Surrey [1970s] where a club had a small [historical] tree in the middle of a fairway.
Early one morning the greenstaff discovered that 'someone' had chainsawed it in the middle of the night.

This is fantastic.

Our 10th Par 3 has a giant tree which blocks 50% of the line to the green off the left. If you hit a draw or start left, you're hitting the tree and your ball could be anywhere!

Its often joked about "coming out one night with a chainsaw". I love the fact someone actually had the gonads to go out there and do it on this occasion:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Not Farnham as our 16th hole still has such a tree about 180yds off the tee, in the dip between the slope down from the tee and the fairway rising towards the green - and many complain that it gets in the way of a good tee shot (depending upon who's moaning I might gently suggest that a tee shot hitting that tree is not a 'good' tee shot :) ). Some do indeed wish it gone - but I will be up the tree (though not with many others as it isn't very big) if ever they plan to bring it down. That said we have to get planning permission to remove ANY of the older trees on the course and I doubt we'd get it to remove that one - it's verging on 'iconic' as well as being very old.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No
This is fantastic.

Our 10th Par 3 has a giant tree which blocks 50% of the line to the green off the left. If you hit a draw or start left, you're hitting the tree and your ball could be anywhere!

Its often joked about "coming out one night with a chainsaw". I love the fact someone actually had the gonads to go out there and do it on this occasion:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
it’s not .
There would not be any trees left if everyone cut the ones they don’t like down.
Even Eisenhower couldn’t get a tree removed at Augusta.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
No

it’s not .
There would not be any trees left if everyone cut the ones they don’t like down.
Even Eisenhower couldn’t get a tree removed at Augusta.

Lighten up, Its not a deforestation thread.

He could have removed it himself with a bit of elbow grease under cover of darkness :ROFLMAO:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Lighten up, Its not a deforestation thread.

He could have removed it himself with a bit of elbow grease under cover of darkness :ROFLMAO:
A bit like the 40-50ft tree just off fairway on our 10th - the tree many of us get caught behind with no shot to the green if we are a little careless with our tee shot. And under cover of the pandemic closure it's gorn...and I've checked - and it's removal wasn't included in the Winter Work Programme. It was a relatively young tree...so no Planning Permission required for it's removal. Interesting to see how my fellow members react - I think it's removal is 'a good thing' :)

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
There's quite a few trees on our course that I'd like to get rid of(funnily though we have none on any fairways)!
Back to main subject though i.e. club looking after members....now I'm sure we can all appreciate(in these straitened times) the need for extra income streams-Visitor fees.
Now ordinarily I wouldn't have a problem with this --our place had done very well from this last year and,even generated some new members because of the course/members/staff(when open).All well and good so far BUT what really rips my Knitting is the total disregard and ignorance shown by some when it comes to parking;it's as if 'I'm paying for this so I'll park where I damn well like'-in front of buggy/trolley shed doors,middle of 2 spaces,on corners,car/van overlapping front or back of space etc-I'm sure you get the idea!
Anyway,one day one day mentioned this to a dude making getting out hard for 2 of our members and could he move it over a bit?was told to take a long journey!!! and off he went to play(with another visitor)I do hope they enjoyed their round because when they got back apparently their wheels were illegal to drive as someone had put opaque tape over the front and back screens/both front passenger windows and the door mirrors----I believe they were there for quite a while trying to get it all off.Funny but I don't think they ever came back?
Personally I think in the welcome pack(being posh there)/intro email do's and dont's clear sensible,easy -to-follow guidance should be set out on what's expected and courtesy to others(after all,we are nice to them
pointing out ways round course,warning bells etc).
Have suggested more pro approach needed to keep all happy and avoid silly, unfortunate(and expensive?) misunderstandings and help promote good vibes all round.Sec.has said he'll bring it up with a view to this years visitors.

Jimbo..peace and love to all

sunshine

Visit site
There's quite a few trees on our course that I'd like to get rid of(funnily though we have none on any fairways)!
Back to main subject though i.e. club looking after members....now I'm sure we can all appreciate(in these straitened times) the need for extra income streams-Visitor fees.
Now ordinarily I wouldn't have a problem with this --our place had done very well from this last year and,even generated some new members because of the course/members/staff(when open).All well and good so far BUT what really rips my Knitting is the total disregard and ignorance shown by some when it comes to parking;it's as if 'I'm paying for this so I'll park where I damn well like'-in front of buggy/trolley shed doors,middle of 2 spaces,on corners,car/van overlapping front or back of space etc-I'm sure you get the idea!
Anyway,one day one day mentioned this to a dude making getting out hard for 2 of our members and could he move it over a bit?was told to take a long journey!!! and off he went to play(with another visitor)I do hope they enjoyed their round because when they got back apparently their wheels were illegal to drive as someone had put opaque tape over the front and back screens/both front passenger windows and the door mirrors----I believe they were there for quite a while trying to get it all off.Funny but I don't think they ever came back?
Personally I think in the welcome pack(being posh there)/intro email do's and dont's clear sensible,easy -to-follow guidance should be set out on what's expected and courtesy to others(after all,we are nice to them
pointing out ways round course,warning bells etc).
Have suggested more pro approach needed to keep all happy and avoid silly, unfortunate(and expensive?) misunderstandings and help promote good vibes all round.Sec.has said he'll bring it up with a view to this years visitors.

Jimbo..peace and love to all

That made me giggle.

Parking can be an issue at my club, golfers tend to drive big cars. It's worst on a Tuesday, when the car park is only 40% full but there are no spaces available because of haphazard parking.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That made me giggle.

Parking can be an issue at my club, golfers tend to drive big cars. It's worst on a Tuesday, when the car park is only 40% full but there are no spaces available because of haphazard parking.
At my club if you park outside the bays you are warned .
Two strikes and your banned for a month.
Works a treat.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just don't park in the Captain's space........
We had a player approach the secretary on the course once to ask him something.
He said “ I am only the secretary during working hours” to his question.
So when the secretary turned up on Saturday for the comp this guy had parked in his parking space.
The argument was a belter .