How focussed is Your Club on the needs of Members?

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Not talking about the pro here.

Wondering how welcoming the bar staff are and how visitors are treated?

How efficient is The Secretary’s Office in dealing with members’ needs, response to queries. Are you looked upon as a ‘customer’ or a pain in the rectum?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would describe our club as ambivalent towards the members, proprietary club. A smile and a friendly hello isn't an excessive request is it?

Questions are dealt with fairly quickly but I ask them reluctantly. Warmth is not forthcoming.

My wife quotes a business guy who wrote a book on business. He talked about celebrity service, treating everyone as though they were a celeb, giving everyone 1st class service. My club needs to buy and read that book.

In answer to the question posed in the headline, it isn't.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You won’t get any joy out of them but the club is ticking along and survived a couple of brutal years in decent shape, so as much as I won’t expect cuddles I don’t mind.

D

Deleted member 18588

I would hate to be looked upon as a "customer ".

I am a member of a members' club (would never be a member at a proprietary club) and as such would hope to be seen and treated as a member.

There is IMO a significant difference.

Just to add we receive, via email, a weekly newsletter with reports from the head greenkeeper, news from the pro shop, comp results, tips from our resident teaching pro and diary for the forthcoming week.

Our Manager is extremely efficient and very approachable as is his assistant. The bar and catering staff are similarly friendly and good at their jobs.

All Committee Chairmen are open to input from members.

Not much else that we could ask for.

Last edited by a moderator:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
A1, 1st class, top notch or any other words or phrases of a similar meaning
Questions answered quickly, problems solved asap. D of G knows everyone as does the Pro, all greet with a smile.
Plenty of advisory emails about the course, clubhouse, finances, members etc etc..
I'd say about as good as it gets.

Steve Wilkes

Visit site
I would hate to be looked upon as a "customer ".

I am a member of a members' club (would never be a member at a proprietary club) and as such would hope to be seen and treated as a member.

There is IMO a significant difference.
I agree, as long as the member don't want a refund because the course is shut for a few months (That's what Customers do )

D

Deleted member 15344

Club treat me as a member

We are a part of the club , we are needed to help the club run , the bar/catering staff treat us as members , everyone is friendly and approachable which wasn’t always the case when we had franchise catering

The office are all very good and again approachable

I’m also a member of the committee and try to make myself as approachable as possible for anyone and the committee try to be as open as possible - we are all members as well , we communicate regularly and over the past 12 months we have had to become more adaptable and communicate a lot more. Everyone has the ability to voice their opinion and any concerns

The pro shop is a franchise and is always welcoming to all members

I find when you go to members clubs the welcome seems to be a bit more “personal” - when you go to the big corporate places then they roll out the red carpet for everyone

Anytime there has been an issue with a visit to a club it’s either been the pro or the members who have caused any “poor welcome”

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It's interesting because I have been doing some secret shopper visits to golf clubs and one of the key elements of the assessment is the welcome and the way a visitor is made to feel. Before doing this I must admit I was fairly ambivalent about the club aspects of membership (it's all about the golf isn't it?). Now however, I am much more sensitive to the feel and service offered by a club and the difference between when it's done well and when it's done badly is huge in my opinion.

I have found it's not always true that big corporate clubs are bad at this and members clubs are good - it really depends on the people and in particular the atmosphere engendered by the management of the club - be they commercial or committees. I also need to be pervasive as the welcome and proshop experience might be good but if the catering experience is poor (or vv) - it can colour the whole visit.

As far as my club is concerned I think they have the balance right and although it is a proprietry club the welcome is good and membership feel is similarly excellent.

Having also done some secret shopping membership applications I can honestly say there have been a couple of clubs that come into the category of "I wouldn't become a member of this club if you paid me ..........."

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Very positive comments overall.

My wife used to accompany me on golf trips to Scotland and the worst place was a really class club, green fees well over £100. Her feedback was invaluable but invariably the welcome N. Of the Border was exemplary.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Similar question, what personally is important to you as a visitor?
Good open question Trammi.
Invariably it is the pro shop rather than Secretary’s office although bar if I have a coffee or sandwich. Efficiency, welcome and ack. if cannot serve immediately. Do not really expect too much as they do not know me as opposed to home club.

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Very positive comments overall.

My wife used to accompany me on golf trips to Scotland and the worst place was a really class club, green fees well over £100. Her feedback was invaluable but invariably the welcome N. Of the Border was exemplary.
Never had any complaints about Silloth whenever I was there(been a few years right enough) but welcome at pro shop and clubhouse was always as if you were family.
When the world settles down to some sort of normality 3 then please come up and check out our place (bring the boss too)!
I'm looking forward to getting down to see the family just down the road from you and playing your place.
Jimbo

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Before joining my current club I was brand new to the area, and with zero first hand knowledge of any local club, I studied everywhere in about a 10 mile radius online before starting to make phone, email and personal visit enquiries. I know exactly how the initial impression varies.

What things do you feel are important to your own needs as a visitor, and what do you consider when judging being a member of a club by a visit?
Visits fit into 2 parts really, the first is obviouly the golf and clubhouse facilities, are they comprehensive and in good order. The second part is the attitude of the staff, do they make you feel welcome, explain things fully and answer questions openly and fully. Also are they interested in you and your party and try to make things good for your visit. A simple example might be to enquire about your handicap and suggest the best tees for you to play from. Same applies in the clubhouse regarding drinks / meals etc.

As far as membership is concerned it's similar but the use of questioning by the person up front allows them to tailor their comments to fit your needs. The best I have come across arranged for me to meet their greenkeeper to discuss the work that was planned on the course and the pro to take me through the practice facilities. Both "sold" the course by their knowledge and enthusiasm. The worst had the attitude of wondering why they should consider me for membership and whether I was good for the joining fee.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Visits fit into 2 parts really, the first is obviouly the golf and clubhouse facilities, are they comprehensive and in good order. The second part is the attitude of the staff, do they make you feel welcome, explain things fully and answer questions openly and fully. Also are they interested in you and your party and try to make things good for your visit. A simple example might be to enquire about your handicap and suggest the best tees for you to play from. Same applies in the clubhouse regarding drinks / meals etc.

As far as membership is concerned it's similar but the use of questioning by the person up front allows them to tailor their comments to fit your needs. The best I have come across arranged for me to meet their greenkeeper to discuss the work that was planned on the course and the pro to take me through the practice facilities. Both "sold" the course by their knowledge and enthusiasm. The worst had the attitude of wondering why they should consider me for membership and whether I was good for the joining fee.
Sounds like a 59 visit ?

Hammertoe

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Our general manager handed her notice in about 6 weeks ago and most seem to be happy about it, the head greenkeeper has also left and although I got on really well with him he had a very aggressive attitude and was extremely bad at taking any suggestions, he saw everything as a dig at him. The general manager seemed to treat the members like a nuisance, she didn't want to know, the office door was always locked and you had to make an appointment to see her (seriously). I work in the bar and she was very good to the staff and I got on Great with her but her attitude to customers and members left a lot to be desired. The bar staff (obviously) and restaurant staff are great and the pro is fantastic.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
For me it’s the members that make the club. Is it easy to integrate into the place and are you made to feel welcome. If this is the case then it will extend to visitors too.

I’ve been in a fair few clubhouses where the catering staff have been professional but distant. Makes no difference if there is a member of two there who is happy to chat away and see how you’re getting on.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There is a case for overwelcoming you .
This happens a lot in the USA they are that attentive that it starts to get annoying.
But that’s a tip based system.

Here I have never been anywhere that I would say staff were not welcoming.
My club are very welcoming. If they can they will ,that’s all you can ask for.
Even the high end clubs that are “ accused “ of only wanting your money.
I have never had any problems anywhere.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
A few years ago we did a tour of the north east. All clubs were fantastic. The first impressions in the club shop were excellent. We had a good trip. On the way home we played a course, we had rang before to book a tee time and told the price. We turned up to be told they had told us the wrong price and we had to pay more. It rubbed us up, this was compounded bu the pro saying this is happening all to often with phone bookings. It was a polar opposite to what we had seen in the north east. If anything it highlighted how good some clubs are.
Re our club, I think it is excellent, the secretary is very approachable. The club shop welcoming, all staff are knowledgeable, with the clubhouse small and friendly. Out assistant pro has just moved to a course in Derbyshire as head pro. Our loss is deffo there gain. He was brilliant at communicating with players of all ages and abilities. Good luck Richard Strange. However we have a lad who has just finished his PGA course and has been set on as assistant pro. All the green keeping staff are approachable and every year the club has a plan to move forward.