How far do you travel...........

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
15 miles drive from home for me...takes about 25 minutes....there are 5 courses closer to home....two of which are within 2 miles....one of which I'd join in a heartbeat if I had the money.

Although I (pre-covid) had a commute homewards of some 65 miles, the club used to be little more than a 5 minute detour off my homeward route, so it was rarely a hardship in the summer to knock off at say 3.30pm and be on the first tee by 5pm, or 4.30pm if the traffic (all dual carriageway) was favourable.

Doodle

Visit site
0.6 mile.
Distance along with the quality of the course / comps & the social scene are my primary considerations.
I live on the outskirts of a large city, to try to transverse the city is a total nightmare as far as traffic is concerned, so I wouldn't consider any club that involved me driving across the city.
As it is I'm lucky.
I am happy with most aspects of my club & it's within walking distance.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
3 miles / 10 minute drive to my course. I work from home so distances are the same. There are plenty of courses nearby so I had the option of a few and chose the one I enjoyed playing and is also considered to be the best course in the area. There are a couple that are closer but neither grabbed me in the same way mine does.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
18 miles / 25 mins from home... 140 from the office, not that I've been there since March, and maybe I'll only go back to hand my kit in when I leave!

St Pierre is 3 miles... maybe I might move there when I retire as I'll go more often, but hotel courses are a pain! Similarly Celtic Manor is 10 miles.....

Considering Southerndown/Ashburnham as a winter links

How good is RND?
I have always wanted to play there and Saunton

Always wondered why Old Skier isnt at RND is so close... and, I'd move house to be a member of Saunton! And might well do if I can convince the Mrs! :)

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
18 miles / 25 mins from home... 140 from the office, not that I've been there since March, and maybe I'll only go back to hand my kit in when I leave!

St Pierre is 3 miles... maybe I might move there when I retire as I'll go more often, but hotel courses are a pain! Similarly Celtic Manor is 10 miles.....

Considering Southerndown/Ashburnham as a winter links

Always wondered why Old Skier isnt at RND is so close... and, I'd move house to be a member of Saunton! And might well do if I can convince the Mrs! :)

Just have so much fun at Libbaton with the guys and the course is getting better every year. Now rated by the less snobbish in Devon as a place to play. Buy near Saunton and stay indoors from end of March to end of October, traffic there now is horrendous.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
About 15/20 minutes from work or home To main course.
used to be 3 mins from home but don’t regret longer travel for a better course.
Second course 15 minutes from home too, about 35 from work.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
22 miles, 30 minutes from home, I work on site 2-3 days a week and sometimes it’s local to the course, others not. I did consider it to be a bit of a trek when joining but I can do 1000 miles a week some weeks so 22 is nothing really.
For me it worked out best bang for buck

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Just have so much fun at Libbaton with the guys and the course is getting better every year. Now rated by the less snobbish in Devon as a place to play. Buy near Saunton and stay indoors from end of March to end of October, traffic there now is horrendous.

Reason enough.... I could buy a house in Appledore and get a boat to get to golf!! :) We have some mates in Bradworthy, staying there again with them in June, (so will finally have to cadge a game with you at Libb) would consider living there, but do I love Bude enough to be a member? Holsworthy is ok, but not sure I'd join it.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Reason enough.... I could buy a house in Appledore and get a boat to get to golf!! :) We have some mates in Bradworthy, staying there again with them in June, (so will finally have to cadge a game with you at Libb) would consider living there, but do I love Bude enough to be a member? Holsworthy is ok, but not sure I'd join it.
Give us a buzz, I like Holsworthy but they keep having issue with the greens, Bude is ok but a tough back nine and another course that has a lot of holiday foot traffic on it, always go in the winter to get of the parkland courses. Have you tried Bowood.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
0.6 mile.
Distance along with the quality of the course / comps & the social scene are my primary considerations.
I live on the outskirts of a large city, to try to transverse the city is a total nightmare as far as traffic is concerned, so I wouldn't consider any club that involved me driving across the city.
As it is I'm lucky.
I am happy with most aspects of my club & it's within walking distance.

Sounds just like my situation to be honest! Well, Worcester isnt a large city, but its annoying to cross!!

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
3 miles as the crow flies, about 3.5 in real terms.

Based on my app there are 11 courses.closer by, but mine is 27 holes, the cheapest around, and in the direction the traffic always flows and never stops.