How does your club promote itself?

at89

Visit site
Interested to hear how members of a club find the promotion of its club to entice and attract new members or for non golfers to give it a go? Do you think the use of video on social media and websites would help to encourage younger generations to take up the game? We've just put together a very short teaser video to promote sport facilities to people in Aberdeen, golf being one of our main featured sports at the Kings Links Golf Course, video here for those interested https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DgJFxXH7fY

I just wonder if some clubs need to embrace the power of a presence online to encourage new members who can boost the numbers playing the game. Bear in mind Facebook alone gets over 8 billion video plays worldwide every day!

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
[video=youtube;tzduI1WZtXU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzduI1WZtXU&feature=youtu.be[/video] this is on our website, and all being well it will be updated when the weather clears, and we are getting another 1000 flyers ready for the start of the new season in April

D

Deleted member 16999

Badly, membership on decline and virtually no presence on internet apart from Club website, which isn't a good site.
Having trouble trying to get them to embrace technology.

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
i have seen the odd ad in the local rag ,and the website is pretty poor.but we do have a driving range that is open to the public ,[as is the course ]and we get a lot of golfers using the range when its been bad weather ,so it advertises itself with the range really.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
As new to the sport I am slowly starting to look around. For meet seems like the cubs don't really go out to promote themselves, they just vaguely inform people that find their web page by chance.

at89

Visit site
Nice video of Copsewood there, the use of aerial drones now is a fantastic and cost effective way of being able to show to course from the skies! I wonder if the issue is that those at in the hierarchy at a lot of clubs are from a generation before technology and for them it doesn't seem like something they need to embrace. But with memberships at clubs on the decrease, surely clubs should be looking at every avenue and opportunity to promote. Given social media is a free medium too. Even just short videos from the pro about his favourite hole on the course, or small tips from the course would be an easy way to start to generate interest!

at89

Visit site
Sorry didn't realise you could embed the video, should have done that in my earlier post
[video=youtube;0DgJFxXH7fY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DgJFxXH7fY[/video]

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Our club has been doing a lot lately. Local paper ads, facebook, twitter and we've just launched a new website with promo video. It's covered on this thread.

http://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/showthread.php?81594-East-Renfrewshire-Golf-Club

Most clubs need to be pro-active. With The Open coming to Troon this year it's a good opportunity to get visitors to the area to play our course. I was discussing this with the Vice Captain just the other night.

at89

Visit site
Just had a look through the thread, website is really good and given limited budget the promo video is not bad at all! I would definitely recommend getting aerial fly throughs done of each hole if you get a better summer this year. We did one of the courses at Newmachar and it's been a great addition to their website http://www.newmachargolfclub.co.uk/courses/courses/hawkshill/flyover.php. Your right about being pro active, up here in Aberdeen I don't think clubs have capitalised on the tournaments we've had here over recent years such as the Scottish Open to encourage participation! I hope all the work yourself and the club has been doing is getting its just rewards and credit from existing members!

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
To be honest our club does it the second best in the country. According to the golf hierarchy. It got runner up in the golf mark club of the year award 2015. I have mentioned this before on here and to be quite frank have been a bit narked.
Why? I do get fed up of hearing that clubs are struggling with membership.. I fully understand why. but what are clubs doing about it. Not a great deal it seems, and reading some of the comments on here I don't think I am being argumentative. Just stating facts.
So why am I narked. Our club got golf Mark runner up of the year because it actively encourages youngsters to play golf, it encourages golfers of all age and sex. There is no upper class snobbery. We have club pros, the secretary played off scratch and understands and promotes the game. We know all about social media and have received grants to improve the facilities at our club. But have not rested on our laurels.
So why am I narked, because to the best of my knowledge, not one individual, or club in these troubled golf times has contacted us or the winners and said " what are you doing right" . If you have a comp for golf Mark club of the year, why not actively promote the winners stating why they won? golf monthly have not even run a 1, 2, 3 or 4 page spread saying this is how a club is flourishing in troubled times. But then will devote page after page, issue after issue saying " golf is struggling". What's that all about.
When golf monthly mentioned last years winning club, they even spelt our clubs name NORWOOD PARK the runner up wrong.
Will agree that golf clubs do not promote themselves well but they are not the only ones associated with golf. But as with most things. It is always someone else's fault.

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To be honest our club does it the second best in the country. According to the golf hierarchy. It got runner up in the golf mark club of the year award 2015. I have mentioned this before on here and to be quite frank have been a bit narked.
Why? I do get fed up of hearing that clubs are struggling with membership.. I fully understand why. but what are clubs doing about it. Not a great deal it seems, and reading some of the comments on here I don't think I am being argumentative. Just stating facts.
So why am I narked. Our club got golf Mark runner up of the year because it actively encourages youngsters to play golf, it encourages golfers of all age and sex. There is no upper class snobbery. We have club pros, the secretary played off scratch and understands and promotes the game. We know all about social media and have received grants to improve the facilities at our club. But have not rested on our laurels.
So why am I narked, because to the best of my knowledge, not one individual, or club in these troubled golf times has contacted us or the winners and said " what are you doing right" . If you have a comp for golf Mark club of the year, why not actively promote the winners stating why they won? golf monthly have not even run a 1, 2, 3 or 4 page spread saying this is how a club is flourishing in troubled times. But then will devote page after page, issue after issue saying " golf is struggling". What's that all about.
When golf monthly mentioned last years winning club, they even spelt our clubs name NORWOOD PARK the runner up wrong.
Will agree that golf clubs do not promote themselves well but they are not the only ones associated with golf. But as with most things. It is always someone else's fault.

This - 👍

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

Good post.

Refreshing to hear of a club flourishing in the current climate. Sadly negativity sells papers better than positivity. Clubs need to think outside the box a bit more and offer what golfers need. The smoking jacket image really needs put out to pasture and light bright airy lounges with WiFi and pool table or whatever promoted.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Our club had its 40th anniversary last year (that is relatively old for a German golfclub) and managed to get a few articles in the local press about it. They are also doing a few beginners' days each year and offer cheap lesson packages for beginning golfers. And they work together with a local school, offering an opportunity for interested juniors to have weekly practice sessions and an opportunity to play our short course for free, hoping to attract a few young talents there.

Sybez

Challenge Tour Pro
www.digitalberry.co.uk
Our club has been doing a lot lately. Local paper ads, facebook, twitter and we've just launched a new website with promo video. It's covered on this thread.

http://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/showthread.php?81594-East-Renfrewshire-Golf-Club

Most clubs need to be pro-active. With The Open coming to Troon this year it's a good opportunity to get visitors to the area to play our course. I was discussing this with the Vice Captain just the other night.

This is a great looking website. the main page images alone have made we want to play it! Good job!