How does it all work?

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
A season i mean.

Ok i know there are different comps and stuff but do clubs battle out in a league style format, home and away ties or is it just between members?

Are there 'Fa cups' or 'league cups' to play for?

What is the crack, how do you obtain the local bragging rights? Come on ppl, educate me! I am a keen learner!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Our club season is broken down into three distinct categories. There is the competitive season which runs from March to September and for which you can earn points in every club competition with the overall points winner becoming order of merit champion.

Apart from the normal medals and stablefords each month, the club also holds "gold letter" events which are the bigger club events and the winners of these gets their name put in gold letters on the honours board in the clubhouse.

The second section is the club competitions. These are the competitive inter-club matches (Mail on Sunday, Hillman Trophy , County Summer League etc) and these are normally played by the better golfers and are picked by the captain directly, looking to play the strongest side possible.

The final group is the inter-club matches. These are not as competitive as the club competitions and there are no finals or knockout stages. We play a number of clubs on a home and away basis over th e summer (usually in teams of 10 or 12). It is 4ball better ball matchplay and so if we won the forst game at home 4 games to 1 and but lost the return fixture away 3-1 with one match halved we would win the overall fixture 5 1/2 to 4 1/2

These games are meant to be friendly and are normally accompanied by a sit down meal afterwards. The matches themselves may be tough and everyone tries to win so as not to let the side down (we get fined £3 for the captains charity if we lose our match but the club wins overall.

And that is just about it, apart from the mixed events, the texas scrambles the nine hole social league, the pro-captain challenge and our regular weekend roll ups. You can add another 15-20 rounds on my own if I get a day off or finish early and so it mounts up to about 100 rounds per year (think I played 124 last year). Think it worked out about £9.50 a round on my annual fee. When you add in the banter and use ofthe clubhouse etc its not a bad return

DCB

Visit site
We have the Monthly Medal from April to October. There are midweek medals though April - Sept so there are a good number of basic comps to enter. We also have Three meeings each year. Spring, Summer and Autumn, these are bigger comps and have rather nice trophies as a reward. There are also a few Stabelford & Bogie type comps as well.

For me though the big event of the year has to be the Club Championship. We have three categories, The Championship - Open to all if they can qualify, The B Section 8-14 Handicaps and the C Section 15 and Over .

Qualifying takes plave over a weekend 36 hole qualifying comp. This also has it's own prizes, but the big eaim is to try and qualify for the matchplay sections. Qualifying is in effect off scratch as qualifiers will normally play in their relevant section against other golfers of similar standard. The big aim is to try and qualify for The Championship. neve managed that yet, played in the B section many times but never managed to get low enough scores to qualify for the "main event".

Anyway, thats how I see it at my club, wouldn't miss it for the world.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks for that guys, gives me an idea for some questions to ask when i finally take the plunge. Hopefully, this month or next!

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We have a weekly Sat stapleford comp, a sunday stapleford comp-monthly medals from April to September--various 4 ball betterball comps or 4 man teams comps--we also enter the various GUI organised inter club comps-Hope to make one of the two teams i am eliglible for this season.