How widespread are unapproved local rules and does it affect the handicap system

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
It isn't that many years ago that PLs did not require marking and permitted rolling and you could declare a ball lost.

I'm surprised at that. I always thought the "roll it out" rule was an out and out made up one. Must be pretty old then, looking at the "historic rules" site I think the current rule was introduced in 1980 and was clean and drop then. 35 years just the blink of an eye in "golf time" though lol :D

In answer to the OP I'd probably say there are loads of weird rules made up by committees but overall I doubt if it affects things in handicapping too much. Not really a local "rule of golf" but how about this one our lot posted last summer......
"In order to control handicap manipulation, any player not returning a card in the Wednesday competition will be removed from the competition and will not receive a 0.1 increase".

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
In 2000 the R&A said it did not endorse 'Preferred Lies' or 'Winter Rules' and would not 'interpret it' (ie give a ruling if a dispute arose).

mchacker

Head Pro
Visit site
Not really a local "rule of golf" but how about this one our lot posted last summer......
"In order to control handicap manipulation, any player not returning a card in the Wednesday competition will be removed from the competition and will not receive a 0.1 increase".

Although not stated by the club I have seen members at our place not entering scores or returning cards when they've had a mare in a midweek medal so as not to go up, the club don't seem to check the entry sheet in the shop.

D

Deleted member 15344

Although not stated by the club I have seen members at our place not entering scores or returning cards when they've had a mare in a midweek medal so as not to go up, the club don't seem to check the entry sheet in the shop.
That appears to be just cheating as opposed to a LR ?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

your club needs to get a serious grip on events if this is the case! Not only are the individuals concerned not having their handicaps adjusted as required by the system but their actions, if in Cat 1,2 or 3, will create a false CSS and affect everyone else's handicap alternations.

please speak to them!

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
your club needs to get a serious grip on events if this is the case! Not only are the individuals concerned not having their handicaps adjusted as required by the system but their actions, if in Cat 1,2 or 3, will create a false CSS and affect everyone else's handicap alternations.

please speak to them!

Absolutely agree. Manual sign-in seems to be quite widespread when comps are run from the pro shop and checking a manual sheet against the computer is an onerous task. We changed to use the computer sign-in function a few years back and now at least the computer knows exactly who's gone out......problem is that some seem to think they only have to sign-in, do 11 holes and then automatically get "their .1" back...hence the "local rule" I quoted earlier....you can't win!! Obviously the rule is just stupid but means the committee don't have to confront the real issue (players who cheat handicaps) so that's OK then :eek:

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site

I hear ya mate , have had war in our place over this very subject ,

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The UHS is based on the following fundamental premises:
• Every player will endeavour to make the best score he can at each hole in every qualifying round he plays
and will report all such rounds for handicap purposes.
Dec.2(c) Status of Incomplete Cards and ‘No Returns’
(a) All cards must be returned in Qualifying Competitions, whether complete or not.
(b) It is expected that every player who enters an 18 hole Qualifying Competition intends to complete the
round.
(c) Since an incomplete card and a ‘No Return’ may have the effect of increasing a player’s handicap, the
club would be justified in refusing to accept a card or record a No Return when the player has walked
in after playing only a few holes.
(d) Cards should not be issued to players when there is obviously insufficient light for them to complete
the round.
(e) Sympathetic consideration should be given to players who have had to discontinue play for any cause
considered to be reasonable by the organising Committee.
(f ) Clauses 23 and 24 of the UHS give clubs the discretion to deal with players who persistently submit
incomplete cards or make ‘No Returns’ if they consider they are attempting to “build a handicap”.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
The UHS is based on the following fundamental premises:
• Every player will endeavour to make the best score he can at each hole in every qualifying round he plays
and will report all such rounds for handicap purposes.
Dec.2(c) Status of Incomplete Cards and ‘No Returns’
(a) All cards must be returned in Qualifying Competitions, whether complete or not.
(b) It is expected that every player who enters an 18 hole Qualifying Competition intends to complete the
round.
(c) Since an incomplete card and a ‘No Return’ may have the effect of increasing a player’s handicap, the
club would be justified in refusing to accept a card or record a No Return when the player has walked
in after playing only a few holes.
(d) Cards should not be issued to players when there is obviously insufficient light for them to complete
the round.
(e) Sympathetic consideration should be given to players who have had to discontinue play for any cause
considered to be reasonable by the organising Committee.
(f ) Clauses 23 and 24 of the UHS give clubs the discretion to deal with players who persistently submit
incomplete cards or make ‘No Returns’ if they consider they are attempting to “build a handicap”.

Yep, fully aware of all that. We used to have a rule saying you had to complete 14 holes which is I think stretching "a few" a little far! If you agree or not with players walking in, it's a fact of life and there are very few occasions when staying out from 11th (handy for the clubhouse at our place) when already way over handicap (not to mention thoroughly cheesed off and not enjoying it), will actually affect anything. Such players who would occasionally do this were being unfairly penalised, not to mention possibly screwing up CSS etc. Broader point is that I'm sure we are not the only club who make up rules in an attempt to deal with matters that are already covered if only they would read and implement the existing rules properly!!

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Preferred lies are one that we are at odds with at our club, for the ladies section preferred lies is for closely mown areas only, but the men's section play preferred lies through the green.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Preferred lies are one that we are at odds with at our club, for the ladies section preferred lies is for closely mown areas only, but the men's section play preferred lies through the green.

Your men are very generous to themselves, but under what rule do they claim they can justify preferred lies through the green?

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site

maybe your ladies stay on the fairway more than the men!
That's a bonkers local rule

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

Any competitions they have cannot be Qualifiers.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yep, fully aware of all that. We used to have a rule saying you had to complete 14 holes which is I think stretching "a few" a little far! If you agree or not with players walking in, it's a fact of life and there are very few occasions when staying out from 11th (handy for the clubhouse at our place) when already way over handicap (not to mention thoroughly cheesed off and not enjoying it), will actually affect anything. Such players who would occasionally do this were being unfairly penalised, not to mention possibly screwing up CSS etc. Broader point is that I'm sure we are not the only club who make up rules in an attempt to deal with matters that are already covered if only they would read and implement the existing rules properly!!

We introduced a club regulation a couple of years ago.
If a player persistently made NRs or didn't return their cards without good reason, their playing rights would be withdrawn for a period ranging from 1 month to 3.

We've had no problems since.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
We introduced a club regulation a couple of years ago.
If a player persistently made NRs or didn't return their cards without good reason, their playing rights would be withdrawn for a period ranging from 1 month to 3.

We've had no problems since.

That's the way to deal with the situation

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We've just had new competition and booking software installed - and I like it! However I've see proposed (as recorded in minutes of latest committee meetings) that if you don't enter your score or match result in the system you will be DQ'd - is that on? Nothing to do with LRs in respect of play I appreciate.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
We've just had new competition and booking software installed - and I like it! However I've see proposed (as recorded in minutes of latest committee meetings) that if you don't enter your score or match result in the system you will be DQ'd - is that on? Nothing to do with LRs in respect of play I appreciate.

No, it is not on, they cannot DQ you for that reason. They can, however, introduce disciplinary sanctions such as banning you from the next competition.

Decision 6-6B/8

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
CONGU Dec.1(m) Competition Conditions That Apply Solely to the UHS

Q. The administration of handicapping has become increasingly the domain of the computer resulting in
Handicap Committees requiring competitors to provide assistance in various ways beyond that required by
the Rules of Golf.These include:
• Total the score and apply the correct handicap.
• Enter and total Stableford points on their card.
• On completion of the round enter scores hole by hole into a computer terminal.
• Enter on the scorecard their computer reference number.
• Indicate on the card scores to be adjusted by the application of Nett Double Bogey or the Stableford
formula.
Can the Committee in charge of the competition, orHandicap Committee, impose a penalty under the Rules
of Golf when a player fails to comply with a request of the nature listed above?

A. R&A Rules Limited has confirmed that “provided a player fulfils the requirements of Rule 6-6 a
penalty cannot be imposed under the Rules of Golf for failure to comply with these conditions.
However, imposing a penalty of a disciplinary nature, such as suspension of handicap is not
considered to be contrary to the Rules of Golf.” An alternative penalty would be to suspend the
player’s right to compete in Club competitions for a specified period. (See R&A Decisions on the
Rules of Golf,Decision 6-6b/8).

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just found a pearler. A local course which has had a fair amount of recent work done such as new bunkers/tees and work around greens posted a notice spelling out areas of GUR etc.. The final line of the notice read:

"Play from within newly turfed areas - 6-stroke penalty.