How widespread are unapproved local rules and does it affect the handicap system

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Not to take the other thread too off topic:

I've seen lots of examples of unapproved local rules on the forum, might be because they are edited, incomplete or just 'homemade' (all of which which Colin's timely reminder that technically makes the comp non-qualifying for handicap purposes) and I got to wondering what % or volume of club comps are rendered non-qualifying due to unapproved LR but actually do go through the handicap system because no one knew or checked?

And is there any adverse affect on handicap levels or does it kind of level itself out

I guess some unapproved local rules might even stay in place year after year (is this possible?)

D

Deleted member 15344

What examples are there of an "unapproved LR"

Tbh I can't recall coming across many ?

Spuddy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We have one saying you can get relief from bridges even though the rules say you can't get relief from an obstruction in a water hazard as the vertical limits of the hazard extend upwards.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
What examples are there of an "unapproved LR"

Tbh I can't recall coming across many ?

If the site had a better search function I could pull some up for you, they are out there though but I ask as I don't know how widespread it is

Incorrect wording cover some
Incorrect local rule (when correct one exists)
Restricting club selection off the tee
Instruction on route to greens (no cutting dog legs)
Others that override a RoG for health & safety

etc
etc

mchacker

Head Pro
Visit site

The 5th at Hopeman has this, do not play to the green on what is a very reachable short dog leg par 4. If memory serves I won that hole anyway but it would have been nice to have a crack.

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
The 5th at Hopeman has this, do not play to the green on what is a very reachable short dog leg par 4. If memory serves I won that hole anyway but it would have been nice to have a crack.

I think "no drivers off tee" is not uncommon as a LR even tho it shouldn't be

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
That is not an enforceable local rule. It can be a club rule similar to not taking a whizz in the car park, but neither offence can attract a penalty in golf.

I know it's not a proper local rule, but I thought they had to be followed even if wrong?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
My view on this is posted here:

http://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/sh...g-The-Ball-on-the-Green&p=1276486#post1276486

To add to the list, marking an area which does not meet the definition as a lateral water hazard.

Perhaps there is a terminological issue here. A local rule is a rule modified to deal with course conditions (usually) in line with the relevant Appendix in the ROG or for which authorisation from the R&A has been sought.

Committees should only institute local rules which are allowed or authorised.

Now the club may have a range of other uses, on types of shorts and socks, where you park your car and using a mobile phone, but none of these are punished by shots or DQ.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Perhaps there is a terminological issue here. A local rule is a rule modified to deal with course conditions (usually) in line with the relevant Appendix in the ROG or for which authorisation from the R&A has been sought.

Committees should only institute local rules which are allowed or authorised.

I've no argument with that, but we have to add that sometimes we come across a local rule which is not specifically allowed or has not been authorised. All I was saying is that in my view where that is the case, players should abide by the local rule.

D

Deleted member 15344

If the site had a better search function I could pull some up for you, they are out there though but I ask as I don't know how widespread it is

Incorrect wording cover some
Incorrect local rule (when correct one exists)
Others that override a RoG for health & safety

etc
etc

Tbh don't think I have ever come across too many that are used in qualifying HC comps - if any rule that is brought in to help the course mainly it is always with the caveat that it is not to be used with qualifying competition - IE rolling ball out of pitch mark in rough

Spuddy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
A version of that has been used in a gents open at a club near me, roll the ball from a plugged lie in the rough, absolutely shocking
That's extra silly as there's a specimen local rule that allows a drop through the green if plugged.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
It isn't that many years ago that PLs did not require marking and permitted rolling and you could declare a ball lost.

Last edited: