How do you practice?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have spent the winter putting in some work to try and lower my handicap

just wondering what everyone else does for practice

in November I spent £300 down the range, £100 on credit (doubled to £200) and £200 on a membership to their par 3 course attached to the range to improve my irons

I have been mostly focusing on the par 3 course over the past month.. once a week head down there.. go round with 2 balls and try different shots into the greens.. if its dead ill play a few chips to try and improve

Today I went down the range before work.. spent 20 mins on the chipping green (poor.. need work) and then took the 30 balls I had bought and hit a 7 iron, 5 iron and driver on the range to work on some bits...

had my first round of the year Wednesday.. I hit 38 points so the work had paid off.. my irons were very much on point (until the last hole.. tiredness id put it down to) let down by chipping from 30 yards and in (will work on that with my pro on Monday with my first 2018 lesson)

whats everyone else do for practice? or do you even practice?!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I will have my second £5 down the local range next Monday.

I get 100 balls, a great mug of cappuccino and a fantastic bacon bap.

I'm not focused on my handicap :ears:

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I fully intend on practising at least 4 nights a week come lighty nights, however, I haven't swung a club since prior to Christmas and went out today and shot level par, granted, winter course but there might be something in not playing for a while and just pegging it up.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
hit balls yesterday for the first time in about 8 weeks

in summer i tend to use the grass range and the short game area a few times a week, that said its not that constructive!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
hit balls yesterday for the first time in about 8 weeks

in summer i tend to use the grass range and the short game area a few times a week, that said its not that constructive!

Definitely more about keeping swinging than anything constructive!

GMC1981

Club Champion
Visit site
Just back from the range . My second time this week hitting 150 balls . I’ve very much of the opinion the driving range is a waste of time as everything about it feels unnatural but it serves a purpose in the winter months . The practice facilities at my course are a bit of a let down if truth be told . Decent area for putting , chipping and a practice area for irons but it’s only 200 yards long . So there is no chance of warming up with your driver . The one area I struggle going into a game cold .

Digger

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Stick it on a tee peg on a Saturday and see which swing comes out of the hat. :eek:oo:
I do go to the range on a Wednesday evening (not every week though). It's an exercise in reducing cabin fever more than serious practice to be honest. I tend to work on my game a lot more in the summer than the winter. I just enjoy it for what it is in the cold months.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
At the moment I don't, except for 15 minutes in the nets and on the practice putting green before I play at the weekend. Leaving home for work in the mornings in the dark and getting back at night in the dark doesn't encourage me to go out again to go to the range.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just back from the range . My second time this week hitting 150 balls . I’ve very much of the opinion the driving range is a waste of time as everything about it feels unnatural but it serves a purpose in the winter months . The practice facilities at my course are a bit of a let down if truth be told . Decent area for putting , chipping and a practice area for irons but it’s only 200 yards long . So there is no chance of warming up with your driver . The one area I struggle going into a game cold .

how do you hit 150 balls? would take me 3 hours i expect and i get bored a long long time before then at the range!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Stick it on a tee peg on a Saturday and see which swing comes out of the hat. :eek:oo:
I do go to the range on a Wednesday evening (not every week though). It's an exercise in reducing cabin fever more than serious practice to be honest. I tend to work on my game a lot more in the summer than the winter. I just enjoy it for what it is in the cold months.
Sometimes it feels like that

My mate took a winter break this year so I decided to go out once a week on my own on the par 3 just to get myself out the house. Mrs is off work with baby at moment into month 6 of 12 and we need some time apart to stop us killing each other lol

This morning just fitted she took our daughter out for a coffee with one the other mums so I left hour early for work and hit the range

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I almost never use the range nowadays, most of my practice is on my local course during the week on my own. If I'm having a problem with a particular type of shot or breaking in a new club I might practice.

However I think it is probably time to have a session, my drive length has dropped off over the last few months and I probably need to get back to a full swing, I'm probably only at 80% for some reason. I have a Zepp 2, hopefully that will help me fine tune things.

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've gone more to hitting fewer shots on the range, and concentrating more on learning from them, chipping area is good. On the range I am trying to get 25 balls, and practice one thing only.

Have taken up swing practice without golf balls at home, since its easier to film.

Real practice though is just playing regularly Imo �� that way you find what you need to learn

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Structured practice. Groups of 5 balls. 120 balls total. 3 hours of graft in winter.

Summer I’ll play 18 or 9. Play three balls or two balls. Regularly let groups through as I practice.

Range gets tedious though due to people there. Some seem to forget they aren’t alone as they have a conversation with themselves or huff and puff rather loudly.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I usually do the range a couple of times a week and I've had a couple of lessons which involve swing changes. I received a new putter today and did a fairly long session on our practice green to try it out. This spring will largely see short game and putting prioritised.

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Two or three 20min sessions a week if time allows (lunchtimes) hitting as many different clubs as possible with lots of wedges. Putt on the living room carpet once a a day for 5 mins. A round once a week if possible.

Nothing currently though due to a prolapsed disc :(

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Im working on a 60 day programme that I've subscribed to on the internet. Thought I'd give it a try as it's about body movement and how to engage certain muscles and tying it in with what my coach is doing with me. It's something new for me and it doesn't involve holding a club at all, fascinating to me but possibly not to others.

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Im working on a 60 day programme that I've subscribed to on the internet. Thought I'd give it a try as it's about body movement and how to engage certain muscles and tying it in with what my coach is doing with me. It's something new for me and it doesn't involve holding a club at all, fascinating to me but possibly not to others.

Is this the tathata programme?