How do you like your balls?

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
You been thinning the bejesus out of them again Brendy :) :)

You'd think :D
It was actually driver off the 4th tee it went 50 yards straight then turned unnaturally low and left from what felt like a decent drive. I got to the ball and it was cracked round about 50% of the ball. I've read that I'm not the first neither which isn't good.

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
i play the first ball i pull out my bag because i think it has zero impact on your score at our level

Whilst I agree to a certain extent, the difference in feel off the PUTTER is noticeable between some balls and therefore you can have a preference one way or another.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
i play the first ball i pull out my bag because i think it has zero impact on your score at our level

True enough

But isn't it FUN to nip the odd wedge with a bit of zip. Or flop one over a bunker to nestle softly next to the pin

Near impossible with a cheap ball not to mention the different feel

Won't necessarily improve any handicaps though

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Pretty much any of the premium balls will do the trick for me.

They stop quicker on approach shots and I can put some spin on pitches if I choose to do so. No brainer in my book.

Our pro shop sells pro v for 10 for 12 quid. Plenty of 1 hit wonders in there. usually grab them with 2s money.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Whilst I agree to a certain extent, the difference in feel off the PUTTER is noticeable between some balls and therefore you can have a preference one way or another.

i dont care how it feels off the putter. by the time i feel anything the ball has gone. it could ring like a bell for all i care.

way too much rubbish gets spouted about regards to golf balls and people whole heartedly believe it and wont be told regardless of evidence. i just leave them to it and thank the 28 handicaper that finds a ad333 and throws it my way because "i only play pro v's mate"

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
i dont care how it feels off the putter. by the time i feel anything the ball has gone. it could ring like a bell for all i care.

way too much rubbish gets spouted about regards to golf balls and people whole heartedly believe it and wont be told regardless of evidence. i just leave them to it and thank the 28 handicaper that finds a ad333 and throws it my way because "i only play pro v's mate"
There's a difference between a 28 handicapper, and someone in their teens and below.

If you want a brick that never stops and you can't get near a front pin, then crack on with your molitors, but most of the rest of us do spin it even moderately, and especially around the greens that helps get closer to the pin greatly.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site

Sweeping statement.
Just because you believe something doesn't make it right for everyone. Let people think what they like, lifes too short. :)

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sweeping statement.
Just because you believe something doesn't make it right for everyone. Let people think what they like, lifes too short. :)

I'm not saying it's correct. I'm saying its my opinion as the title of the thread is "how do you pick your balls"

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Sweeping statement.

A lot of players, including high handicappers are making more informed decisions as there is more information out there. Of course there are those that lets the ego of playing Pro V (or similar) blind them to other choices. As long as they are happy with their choice then let them play whatever. Whether they actually get the full benefits from using these top makes is another question

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If you can afford it, play with what makes you happy!

Of course premium balls won't have any big impact (if any) on the average Joe's h/c but...
it is a matter of fact that they spin more around the greens allowing certain shots:

I pulled off 3 shots today that would not have been possible with a mid or low tier ball (1 extreme flop over a bunker and 2 chips that had to spin and grab on upturned saucer greens to get close)

Conversely, did I also 'waste' any shots due to the ball type? Possibly, eg a few poor shots would have had better results if they'd have released further...

But, most importantly, I don't care... I ENJOYED those shots on a poor(ish) round ☺

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've made my golfball choices largely off what I've read on this forum to be honest. I won't pay the big bucks for the top of the range balls as I know I won't get any benefit for those, so I've gone for the most recommended 2 piece soft balls that I've seen. So I tried a box of Srixon AD333, then when they ran out recently I've got a box of Callaway Supersoft to try. When these run out I intend to get a box of Wilson DX2 Soft, and then I'll make a decision on which of the three was best and stick with those next year. To sum up, a soft ball for less than 20 quid a box is ideal for me.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
If I'm buying balls I tend to stick to Srixon AD333, AD333 Tour or Mizuno JPX, I have tried others but keep returning to the aforementioned ones. I did buy some Volvik Vivid at the weekend and I do like them, so they may start to creep into the bag more often.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You'd think :D
It was actually driver off the 4th tee it went 50 yards straight then turned unnaturally low and left from what felt like a decent drive. I got to the ball and it was cracked round about 50% of the ball. I've read that I'm not the first neither which isn't good.

Taylor Made Lethals used to crack after about nine holes for me. Waste of money.

I now stick with Pro V 1's as I know what I am getting.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cupped :thup:

In golf terms I could use anything that spins enough, probably Ad333 upwards really. Tend to buy whatever premium balls are on offer, think I'll get involved in the Vice balls when I run out of my current stash though