How do you hit yours?

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Or more specifically, what way do you consciously try to hitit?

Toclarify this, I've been struggling a bit lately, found something a few weeksago and started to play better, but distance seemed to be reduced - conditionscertainly account for some of this but not entirely. Anyway playing atthe weekend, ticking over but nothing spectacular, tried to tinker andtried to remember what I’d been doing for a few weeks over the summer that hadresulted in better strikes (accuracy, distance, control & confidence). Why or how I stopped doing what I was doing I’veno idea. I remember it feeling compact(sort of ‘tight’?), snappy and focusing on a downward strike. By the 17[SUP]th[/SUP] I was basically justfocusing on how and where the club head would strike the ball. 430 yards, with approach uphill and hinderedby a massive oak tree – rarely reach it in 2 even in summer but did (going overtree). Then 18 (par5 normally, shortenedto 400ish) duffed tee shot, left with 210, pond just before green. Nailed a 3 wood, high and ended up 8ft fromflag. Know that’s not huge but is for me currently.

Now, my sticking plaster is to visualise how the club shouldhit the ball and then do it. Strikes are crisper and more consistent (so far).

Previously I’ve tried practice swings to see where I hit theground and then adjusted accordingly. Or, tried to focus on taking a divot after the ball. Or tried to swing naturally and just let theball get in the way. Or focused on mysternum to make sure it was at the ball or beyond it at impact. Or getting my hands in front. Or focused onmy left shoulder at impact. Or weight transfer.

Really, even writing this makes it seem like I’m all over theplace!
So it’s really a questionof this – do you make a conscious effort to strike the ball (ie deliver theclub at that point to the ball) or is it something that happens naturally foryou because of a good set-up (ie everything is in place so it’s just going tohappen?) or do you do something else?

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Smack it, walk up to it (or find it), smack it again, repeat until the little blighter is in the hole, or in my pocket if no more smacks left :smirk:

You can think and overthink far too much IMO, get a lesson on the fundamentals and get your set-up and alignment right, then start smacking it with some degree of consistency, but stay away from duck hooks, baby draws are the new fashion :smirk:

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Smack it, walk up to it (or find it), smack it again, repeat until the little blighter is in the hole, or in my pocket if no more smacks left :smirk:

You can think and overthink far too much IMO, get a lesson on the fundamentals and get your set-up and alignment right, then start smacking it with some degree of consistency, but stay away from duck hooks, baby draws are the new fashion :smirk:
Keep up, power fades are the new baby draws.:thup:

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site

That's funny I have never seen you do this?talk about slow:D

D

Deleted member 15344

Will all depend on what club I'm using and what the shot ahead looks like

It could either be a power fade or a baby draw

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Keep up, power fades are the new baby draws.:thup:

I can do them all, I just can't do them on demand, and they please them bloody selves when they want to present themselves at the moment 😡🏌

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I have about 10 different thoughts going through my head when I hit a shot - "keep your head down", "see the club hit the ball", "complete your swing", "chuck out the bucket of water", "arms straight", "tuck in right elbow" etc - no wonder half of my shots are duffers!

SugarPenguin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I kind of think where the ball will hit on the club face.
Other than that keep the tempo steady and my head down.
Ooh and stop being too wrists through the ball

Cheifi0

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Don't actually think about club face hitting the ball after my recent lesson it's get set up right and then start the downswing with a hip bump to target and let the ball get in the way. I am hitting the ball pretty consistently.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I hit the golf ball. Don't really have a swing more of a spasm. Forget putting or chipping yips, I have full swing yips.:eek:

selwood90

Head Pro
Visit site
Nice and simple for me. Head down and concentrate on tempo. Tried to hit things way too hard previously and it's just compromised strike massively. Striking them lovely for a couple of weeks now, irons that is. But now the driver has started misbehaving and being as wild as ever. So attention needed in that department now. Seem to be leaving the face open, never suffered with it before. But atleast it's something to work on.

simplyme

Head Pro
Visit site
The only thing I think about when hitting a ball is the target I picked and focussed on before addressing the ball. If you have any thoughts in your head when stood over the ball, you haven't cleared the mind and focussed on the shot. No swing mechanics should be in your mind once the ball is addressed.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I stare that bloody ball down. That's the only thing that helps. I can perform beautiful swings where everything looks and feels right and then completely miss the ball if I don't focus enough on it. The only technical thoughts that I can handle are ones about the takeaway. After that, if anything comes between me and the ball, mentally, I mean, it's not going to work.

That's why I find changes in grip, setup and takeaway relatively easy to do, but working on changes in downswing or follow through really really hard.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The only thing I think about when hitting a ball is the target I picked and focussed on before addressing the ball. If you have any thoughts in your head when stood over the ball, you haven't cleared the mind and focussed on the shot. No swing mechanics should be in your mind once the ball is addressed.

I know it's what they say you should do, but I don't want to clear my head of swing thoughts as I address the ball.

If I hit 2,000 balls per week I might have a chance, but since I don't, if I don't have something technical in my head when I swing I have a big chance of slipping back into one of many bad habits my 'natural' swing has.

Whatever I'm thinking of though, it won't have anything to do with hitting at the ball.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If you have any thoughts in your head when stood over the ball, you haven't cleared the mind and focussed on the shot. No swing mechanics should be in your mind once the ball is addressed.

Dont agree
This may work for some but not all.
I have at least 2, maybe 3 things to think about during the swing......every full swing.