How are the current conditions affecting your game?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've only played once in the last couple of weeks but was hitting hybrids from some tees (which is not normal on our course).

Those getting bad bounces need to change their trajectory, or accept the consequences.
For me it’s the 100yds in Thats the problem .
Off the tee 5 wood will do for most holes.

We have a par 3 hole 160yds which has a bunker in front of the green .
Its designed for a mid iron 7/6 oob behind green.
We Just can’t stop the ball on it.
Cant run it up so had to play left of the green chip up and try for par.

But it’s better than playing in the rain.
Guy at the club told me “ no significant rainfall forecast for next FOUR WEEKS”,
Cant think what the course will be like as we have had two fires already.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Have you tried teeing the ball stupidly high. Club up and add loft though impact to hit the ball really high. Ive been forced to try this on a few occasions and had some success.

Fun too. My usual lowish flat trajectory just wont cut it sometimes.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have you tried teeing the ball stupidly high. Club up and add loft though impact to hit the ball really high. Ive been forced to try this on a few occasions and had some success.

i have a minus aoa with my driver and can’t change that I have no chance with an iron .
It is what it is just play as a four.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

Good idea for trajectory - but in these conditions trajectory wI'll neither stop it nor help in terms of the probability of it bouncing straight when landing!

Spin is you friend - small ball first etc etc Hit it better - it will respond...it may take a little more time than in softer conditions but it will respond.

Mark1751

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Played Friday and Saturday and two different courses, scorin 32 and 35 points. Could probably take out half of the clubs in the bag and still be ok as ball going a long way.

Not a huge fan but I’d rarther be out playing then sat at home due to the weather.

Titleist3

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I play on a links course and the course visually looks magnificent.

It’s white fairways burnt like a crisp, bunkers golden as ever and greens looking marvellous in the correct colour - green.

How is it playing? Mainly how it usually does apart from the wind.

Greens are 11 on stimp.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I play on a links course and the course visually looks magnificent.

It’s white fairways burnt like a crisp, bunkers golden as ever and greens looking marvellous in the correct colour - green.

How is it playing? Mainly how it usually does apart from the wind.

Greens are 11 on stimp.
playing a links course you probably won’t see a lot of difference, parkland is another matter they are not designed to play like a links course.
Playing Lancaster today looking forward to that.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played my best ever round yesterday so it must be helping! At times it definitely does - e.g. on a long par 4 if my drive goes in the rough, I can hit an iron out and it rolls almost up to the green anyway, making it a bit easier to recover from poor drives. I played some nice chip and runs as well.

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Same as most getting tons of run out. Stopped using driver and switched to a Srixon driving iron and just stinging it out there with loads of run.

Front pins are really hard to get at and it's just luck having to land it in front of the green and hope it runs up ok.

It's great on a couple of our holes. e.g. 5th which goes down into a dell and back up again. Usually I'd hit a 4i or hybrid to get it to the bottom. Saturday I hit a 8 iron to the top of the hill and let it just bounce down. :). Same on the 14th, can just take a short iron and run it down to the bottom of the hill, when I'd usually be 3w or driver.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Same as most getting tons of run out. Stopped using driver and switched to a Srixon driving iron and just stinging it out there with loads of run.
That's another factor I forgot to mention. Our course has a couple of tight tee shots early on (2nd and 3rd), so I went with the 3 iron yesterday on both, kept them nice and straight, and plenty of roll meant that I don't lose out on too much distance. :thup:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That's another factor I forgot to mention. Our course has a couple of tight tee shots early on (2nd and 3rd), so I went with the 3 iron yesterday on both, kept them nice and straight, and plenty of roll meant that I don't lose out on too much distance. :thup:
3 iron a very rare beast these days.

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Loving them and only wish that they could continue all year round.

The only real difference is that I'm playing to land 5-10 yards short of greens and then rely on a favourable bounce. Obviously this doesn't always work but I still feel the longer than normal shot distances off the tee coupled with the shorter club selection on approaches is still a mahoosive advantage in the grand scheme of things.

It's really to hot out there at the minute but I'll miss these 30 degree temperatures once they're gone. :D

D

Deleted member 1147

I have to admit, I’m struggling!
Can’t seem to hit a fairway, when out of position I can’t hold a green & can’t judge the bounces I’m getting.
Handicap steadily going up and no sign of improvement. Roll on the rainy season!

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Initially I found it tough to control accuracy off the tee with the roll out meaning the rough comes into play more, and tough to judge approach shots with nothing that lands on the green staying on.

However, having played a lot of golf in the last 10 days I’m now using conditions to my advantage. Smooth swings with the driver yielding far greater accuracy with good distance and then hitting knock down running shots into the green. It’s also brought most par 5s into range which is good fun (wind dependent).

I’ve really enjoyed the thinking challenge that’s come with it too. Being in the right place to hit approach shots is essential, going over a green side bunker from 100 yards plus to a tight ish pin isn’t going to work out well and judging how far and fast the ball will roll, when to chip and when to putt - things I haven’t thought enough about in the past probably.

Don’t get me wrong, I really like playing target golf and feeling like I can go aggressively at the pin, but this has provided an equally enjoyable bit of variety.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
3 iron a very rare beast these days.
It's an old 90's Big Bertha one, sourced a few weeks ago thanks to a kind gentleman by the name of ArnoldArmChewer on here! I was after a hybrid replacement at the time, but I've found more use with it as a kind of driving iron on tight holes as it turns out.

albie999

Visit site
Still newish to the game (1 and 1/2 years playing), and finding it difficult when don't get a clean contact. One issues yesterday, very very bare lie, brown grass .. 4 hybird (240 yds) left ... hit slightly behind the ball (only just), and with such firm ground, the club bounced so thinned the ball right .. and in to trouble. Saying that .. due to roll, got my best distance with 3 wood (don't currently play a driver), of 245 yds .... just more practice needed

D

Deleted member 21258

Its great fun, currently hitting drives to places I have never at the parkland course, its mad. Drove the 5th, 4th par5 was a driver & PW,2nd was driver and 60 yard chip, 9th par5 was driver and 9 wood, just mad run outs. At the links course I played Monday, I don't think I have ever hit so many 300 yards drives in one round, very brown #nograssforresistance.

Have gone back to launching my driver much lower, as it gets more distance in these conditions.

Shame that my irons seem to have gone to pot and I cant hit a green in reg, hard to convince myself not to lift up when the ground is like concrete, so scores have not got any better than my normal rubbish.....

*TQ*

Club Champion
Visit site
I'm enjoying it off the tee as I can take a 5 iron and it'll roll out to where my normal drive would finish but around the greens is very tough. Duffed a chip last week and was willing it to run onto the green; it ended up through the back!