How are the current conditions affecting your game?

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am sure everyone is getting far more distance with the dry conditions, I hit a close to 300 yard drive today, but aside from distance are you finding any other strange results.

For example I was on a uphill par 5 green in 3 today and had a slightly downhill birdie putt, I thought I had just touched the ball but it missed the hole it was so dry that the ball ran off the green and 50 yards down the fairway!

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I play on a parkland course but I have to land approach shots short of the green now, by around 5- 10yds or so and allow the ball to run on. Land on the green and you are going through the back. That is the biggest difference for me.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The luck (or not) of the bounce is making shot a bit of a lottery. I find it is also harder to maintain concentration in the heat and humidity around here.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Im finding it a lot easier truth be told. Drives running further so shorter shots in and i can run approach shots in too if necessary.

Baked turf masking any slight fats.

Wind been light of late too so cannot complain.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I play on a parkland course but I have to land approach shots short of the green now, by around 5- 10yds or so and allow the ball to run on. Land on the green and you are going through the back. That is the biggest difference for me.
this some of our holes have bunkers in front of the green and it’s impossible on one par three.
They weren’t designed for links golf.

Hit a drive on 11th 280 to the dog leg sailed through into rough lost ball right down the middle of fairway.
Will need to adjust game tomorrow.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm loving it tbh

Course #1 heathland and designed for fast running game. Shaping low mid irons that are running for days, tight lies plus lots of chip and runs suits me down to the ground

Course #2 - see what tomorrow brings, as it's not designed the same or in the same league. When the small greens get firm they're impossible for me to hold with my low ball flight. Not always possible to land short either due to the bunkering

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
All of the threads about games going badly makes me think everyone is struggling

I wasn't actually posting about my game going badly, I was just gobsmacked.

I do find though that at my course where we have a lot of hazards that the conditions favour the higher handicappers. We have several holes where I have had to change from driver to 3 wood due to the run that would see my drive in the hazard, whereas a higher handicapper enjoys the extra run.

In this weeks competitions, the 18 hole comp and the 9 hole comp were both won by ladies who have never won anything before, I am pleased for them but it does show the affect of the conditions.

Siren

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Greens wise no difference they are in fantastic condition all year round maybe 1 on the stimp faster.

Fairways a different story a lot of irons off tees now as driver is going ridiculous distances

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
On average I play better on our par 4 and par 5 holes at the moment, simply because of the added distance and because I can play low bump and run shots which I love and find much easier than full shots in most cases, but I struggle on the par 3s (because if I take the clubs I normally use to reach the green, I overshoot and if I take a shorter club, I can't carry the ball to the green and bunkers and other nastiness in front of the green comes into it.

Our greens are lightening fast at the moment, not only because of the dryness, but also because all the regional league games are on at the moment and they cut them extremely short for those. And that suits me especially on longer putts, because I tend to leave those miles short usually.

I don't mind playing in the heat as long as I have enough water

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Lymm is looking and playing superb. Especially our loop of heathland holes. Brown fairways that run for miles and greens that are as good as they gave ever been means a well struck shot holds nicely. Scores on the comps are noticeably lower.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played today very difficult scoring.
Put my card in computer and out of 21 cards in only 4 had a net score all the rest were NR.
Hardest part is 100yds and in , it’s not a links course but it looks like one now.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
I play on dry sand based course but with well watered greens and approaches.
Not much difference bar a few extra yards off the tee.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Distance wise it's making a huge difference. On the flip side it is now bringing the deep (knee high) rough more into play in the run out areas which means the big hitters need to be a little prudent. There are some bizarre bounces but thats golf and I just try and accept those, frustrating as they are. Playing approaches is interesting and you have to decide which holes you can feel confident running it in on from a long way out and which need to be carried further because of the contours. The greens are a little brown around the very edges on some but by and large are still very good, quick and receptive. Have been reliving my youth and playing a load of 80-100 yard pitch and runs with a 6 or 7 iron.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I hit a lot more 3 woods and 5 woods off the tee...about the only difference really!
I've only played once in the last couple of weeks but was hitting hybrids from some tees (which is not normal on our course).

Those getting bad bounces need to change their trajectory, or accept the consequences.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've only played once in the last couple of weeks but was hitting hybrids from some tees (which is not normal on our course).

Those getting bad bounces need to change their trajectory, or accept the consequences.

Agree...can’t play the same game. Also sorts the decent ball strikers from the average