House alarm issues

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My battery is drained, yeah it’s great timing! Just ordered a new back up battery.
But I have removed the old one , as it was beeping and needed resetting every 3 minutes.
Have I managed to stop the constant beeping or am I in for a night of fun and games ?

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had a quiet night and we also have received the new battery … so another 4 years and then this cobblers will arise again

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Your 'operator' instructions should allow you to enter you security PIN and isolate the Tamper settings while changing the battery.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Your 'operator' instructions should allow you to enter you security PIN and isolate the Tamper settings while changing the battery.
Yes that’s what I was looking for, but damn thing is non branded and we are second owners so no instructions. So I just had the back off and disconnected it all ..

Said to the wife the battery dies too quickly quite happy to leave it disconnected. She said you won’t be happy if your golf clubs get stolen and the insurance doesn’t pay out .. I said I would connect the battery up for their visit ?! It’s only there to cover a power cut so the electricity supplier ought to cover the risk !

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've always made the point not to tell the insurance company that I have an alarm. Firstly there is little or no reduction in premium and secondly if we do forget to set it and we have a claim then they can't turn the claim down on the alarm not set grounds. They will try to find any excuse...

RichA

Visit site
For most generic alarms systems, if you're making system changes you need to enter "Engineer" mode. It's separate to the normal user codes.

Engineer mode: 1234 followed by PROG (to do any tampering)
Exit engineer mode: RESET x 2

This assumes that the fitter didn't change the factory engineer PIN code.

Tampering while only using the basic user profiles might cause problems.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've always made the point not to tell the insurance company that I have an alarm. Firstly there is little or no reduction in premium and secondly if we do forget to set it and we have a claim then they can't turn the claim down on the alarm not set grounds. They will try to find any excuse...
That’s pretty much my feelings on the matter. It’s my opening gambit in any negotiations on rate..

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

Same here, same reasons. I think that is a Martin Lewis MSE tip.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
As a High Net Worth Broker you only need an alarm when insurers tell you you need an alarm the same with a safe, eg sums insured become too high, lots of valuables jewellery and watches. Having an alarm when you don't need one will not reduce your premium as the risk is not there to need one. Unless you have an endorsement telling you you need to set your alarm then not setting it and having a claim will not be affected. Additionally if you have an alarm and have pets that creates other issues re leaving it on when needed and leaving the pets at home generally leading to more endorsements telling you which parts of the home it needs to be on and which you can isolate.

The reality is, if you need an alarm and it needs to be on you could probably benefit from having a broker who should know what to ask and ensure the policy reflects what you should and should not do so claims are not repudiated.

My new home has an alarm, I have not told my insurance company either, no reduction and no need to have it on, it does however help with peace of mind when I go away for longer periods as I can switch it on and it does work as a deterrent.