Hose reel fixings.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Morning, The hoselock reel is coming off the wall, currently fixed with screw bolt things and Rawl plugs. Can anyone suggest a better fix ?
The render seems the be breaking up so the plugs rotate if I just replace them.
Ta.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Do you have any larger raw plugs?
Failing that, pull out the raw plugs, put in a couple or matches/tooth picks and hammer the old raw plugs back in.
Failing that, move the screw holes into a brick

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do you have any larger raw plugs?
Failing that, pull out the raw plugs, put in a couple or matches/tooth picks and hammer the old raw plugs back in.
Failing that, move the screw holes into a brick
Im on the largest I have, I'll have a look in Homebase next time I'm in.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Buy better rawl plugs, you get what you pay for! I will no only buy Fischer duo power ones, they are excellent!

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
How do you work out what size ?
Size of fixing should be determined by the load.

A hose reel itself won't be a light weight, then with pull tension being applied when you unreel the hose (and reel it back in) will add to that load.

Personally, I'd say a 10mm fixing would be ball park unless it's a featherweight hose reel.

As Roots said, Fischer Duo Power are good, the 8mm x 40mm with a decent coarse thread fixing screw might work (obvs this would be an 8mm hole).

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you have a very uneven surface like that render. Mount a wooden plate to the wall using a screw in each corner and mount the hoselock fitting on to the wooden plate.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you have a very uneven surface like that render. Mount a wooden plate to the wall using a screw in each corner and mount the hoselock fitting on to the wooden plate.
I think this is the way to go. When I was in the industry awnings were fitted this way. Using a spreader plate either side of window to take the weight and stresses. Still use the suggested wall anchor bolts for spreader plate.
Belt and braces would be if you can, fix a metal plate over where fixings are for hose bracket. This would help stop the bracket from working loose from wooden plate. 👍

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Morning, The hoselock reel is coming off the wall, currently fixed with screw bolt things and Rawl plugs. Can anyone suggest a better fix ?
The render seems the be breaking up so the plugs rotate if I just replace them.
Ta.
When this happens I always use wooden wedges.
first make sure the hole is deep enough for the weight of this hose.
don’t forget if it holds the water it is very heavy so make sure you empty the water out after use.

cut some very slim wedges that just fit in the hole.
put the fat end in first with some exterior glue then hammer the other wedges in until it’s tight.
leave to dry 24hrs then refit.
just make sure the screws are big enough to hold this.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is this a domestic hose reel or an industrial farm irrigation contraption??
Can't help but feel a certain amount of overkill is way too evident, and surely just a fresh hole drilled, decent fitting and no 10 screw, 2.5 " long will more than do the job.