Does nobody even try any more?

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
On 2 occasions this week, I have been advised by supposedly professional experts to buy replacement stuff as the quick fix to sorting out a problem.

1) My garage wanted to replace a wiper motor, but I said NO, as 90% of replies on this issue (on forums) suggest that often it can be fixed with a good service.
2) I needed some brake pads for my MTB. All 3 bike shops told me it's easier to buy a new caliper, as the disks are "impossible" to acquire.

Anyway, miracle of mircles, the garage spent 40 minutes servicing my motor and hey presto, it does indeed work after all. :eek: Cost £39 instead of £239
Looked on ebay for some brake pads and guess what...£4.49 for a pair from 100% rated seller who gets parts from all over the world. £4.49 instead of £25.99

I've had similar things over the years, like a "broken" freezer. I fixed it in an hour. £free instead of £350 new one

It's a jungle out there, but the internet saves me more often than not.

:)

PS...anyone know a reliable source for BMW key blippers? I'm not paying the main dealer £150 for a flippin key.
(and yes, that one IS broken!)

surefire

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Apparently not.

My brother in laws laptop hard drive failed, and he was quoted £300 for a repair (i.e a new laptop) - No data transfer.

About 10 mins of my time and £35 later, I had fitted a new one for him, and set a transfer on the way to recover as much as possible.

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
I will try and repair absolutely anything, be it a repair job of aesthetic perfection or an unconvential, slightly ugly yet functional repair.

I get real joy and satisfaction from mending anything, I absolutely love it.

Dave, Ref the BMW key. Speak to breakers and salvage yards who have been given cars that are CatA or CatB write-offs. These are cars for scrap/crusher only and sometimes they have the keys and may let them go, All you do is swap the blade and electrical gubbins.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I will try and repair absolutely anything, be it a repair job of aesthetic perfection or an unconvential, slightly ugly yet functional repair.

I get real joy and satisfaction from mending anything, I absolutely love it.

Dave, Ref the BMW key. Speak to breakers and salvage yards who have been given cars that are CatA or CatB write-offs. These are cars for scrap/crusher only and sometimes they have the keys and may let them go, All you do is swap the blade and electrical gubbins.

On the first two comments.....good to hear! :)

I'll have a look around for local breakers.
I found a local ebay shop that has used fobs, they write

"GENUINE BMW PART IN USED CONDITION BUT TESTED AND WORKING PERFECTLY

SIMPLY REFIT YOUR KEY BLADE AND TAKE TO A DEALER/GOOD AUTO ELECTRICIAN TO BE RE-PROGRAMMED TO SUIT YOUR CAR."

Seems OK to me. 161 sales 100% feedback.

I'm guessing they test key when they come in, however that is.

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Dave

Not sure if this ould be any help to you?

My local garage gave me the name of a guy who is mobile and sorts spare keys out to avoid people paying mega-bucks at the main dealers. Maybe there is someone like that up your way?

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
That IS a useful link. I've just missed out on 3 in a row on ebay (outbid) but if I get one, I'll try to sync the new one before shelling out on a pro coding.