Another car problem

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Had a problem with a stuck brake caliper on my daughter's car. Took it to garage to have them look at it. I got a call a short while later to say that one of the bolts that the wheel nuts goes on had been hack sawed off and was too short, and that they considered it unroadworthy and wouldn't work on it, or they would need to effect the relevant repair. I asked them to repair it.

I have since studied the paperwork that came with the car last September, and it clearly states at the time that the MOT was performed in August that they had a problem with the brakes, and needed to saw off one of the wheel nuts. They then replaced the brake pads and callipers and gave it a clean MOT.

So, questions.

Should it have failed the MOT with the shortened wheel nut bolt thingy?
If not, was it roadworthy?
Have they done a botched repair on the brakes (I have had to shell out for new disks as well)
What might I expect to get in terms of recompense? Cost of the repair to the bolt (which amounted to the whole wheel housing)? Cost of the brake job to be done properly? Cost of the disks as well? Nothing?

How would you about rasising it with them?

They are a small family garage. I'm down £700...

What would you do?

Much appreciated, I'm aware there are numerous ways to approach, just looking for perspectives.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As far as I am aware wheel nuts are not routinely checked during an MOT so unless the examiner notices it by accident then they wouldn't fail it.
How do you know the brake job hasn't been done properly? Discs wear out, they will need replacing at some point, fact of life. As it is clearly on the paperwork that the garage have sawn off the wheel nut I don't feel you have much of a case. Do they do the MOt test themselves or take it elsewhere? If its done in house you might be able to argue that they knowingly passed a car that might be considered unroadworthy, maybe a call to VOSA might be useful?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I believe it is a failure and so does this;

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=23372

Was certainly a reason for a prohibition in the past.

If I'm reading your post correctly, I'd want to know why the garage were prepared to send it out in that condition one month and then fail it on its MoT another, and if I wasn't happy with the explanation I'd be discussing it with VOSA.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have since studied the paperwork that came with the car last September, and it clearly states at the time that the MOT was performed in August that they had a problem with the brakes, and needed to saw off one of the wheel nuts. They then replaced the brake pads and callipers and gave it a clean MOT.

If, as you say, the brake caliper was replaced in August last year then it shouldn't be sticking only six months later. I would be looking at a warranty claim against the original repair.

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Thanks guys.

The invoice says "MOT, cut off rear wheel, replace rear brake pads" Even though I wouldn't expect that shortened stud to be noticed in an MOT test, I think it shows that they knowingly passed a car which they had put in an unroadworthy condition. the quality of the brake repair, whilst linked, is different and the warranty suggestion is a good one to use there. The car has done 1000 miles since they did the brake work, and it needed new disks and brakes.

Not happy, not least becaause of the compromise to my daughter's safety.

Appreciate it. just need to formulate ny approach now...