Homlessness

D

Deleted member 16999

I'm not sure I see the correlation or why the two need to be discussed in the same sentence then.

You seem to be inferring that UK homeless people shouldn't be homeless if there are non UK people who are homed and receiving benefits. So by that point, you're suggesting it would be better if we had the non UK people left homeless and UK natives all housed, i.e. The homeless from the UK are a higher priority than those who are not (because we can't help everyone can we)

Don't be afraid to stand by your opinion. Say what you really mean.

Personally I like to think that help is offered to everyone on an equal basis and provided to those who are most needy and considered a priority, rather than the country they were accidentally born in. But then, I'm a dreamer.
Good post :thup:

D

Deleted member 15344

90.000 homeless kids in London according to the news this morning...

Our forty years in the EU has been a rippin' success.... NOT!

Sorry but what’s the connection to being in the EU and kids being homeless?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I'm not sure I see the correlation or why the two need to be discussed in the same sentence then.

You seem to be inferring that UK homeless people shouldn't be homeless if there are non UK people who are homed and receiving benefits. So by that point, you're suggesting it would be better if we had the non UK people left homeless and UK natives all housed, i.e. The homeless from the UK are a higher priority than those who are not (because we can't help everyone can we)

Don't be afraid to stand by your opinion. Say what you really mean.

Personally I like to think that help is offered to everyone on an equal basis and provided to those who are most needy and considered a priority, rather than the country they were accidentally born in. But then, I'm a dreamer.

You asked me a direct question, and I answered it with a direct answer. Read it again and tell me where I did not " Say what I really mean".
Then to imply that I said it would be "better" if non UK were homeless so we can house UK homeless. Eh, who is dreaming now.

What about this for an idea, tell me what you think, and I will tell you what I think. If we disagree, so be it. But I will not imply anything you say.

These non UK homeless, when they came from whatever country it was, were they homeless? If so why come here and pass on the problem to us when we already have a homeless problem. If they were not homeless in there country, why are they happy to come here and be homeless. If they came here to a job and are now homeless, Did they had a job in whatever country before. If so it is not genius to say " I have tried and it is not worked out".

That's easy for Tashyboy to say coz it don't affect me. Er yes it does. My son is currently in Australia. In January he goes to the outback welding for three months free of charge. He is hoping to get Australian citizenship. If it goes " tits up". Will the Australian government look after him, house him and feed him or will he come home and start again. You know the answer to that one.
Furthermore I have contributed to the homeless plight by booting out my daughter when she was 18. She was tearing my family apart. She was the one who was adopted by us at 2 yr 11 months old. She had more time and money spent on her than my other two kids, yet it was not enough. So when I talk about homeless, I have had a first class unpleasant experience in it. It is not a nice experience to have been to the council with your daughter and told them " she has no where to live".

That woody is what I really think.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry but what’s the connection to being in the EU and kids being homeless?

Because I am sick to the back teeth of hearing folk eulogising about the wonderfulness of the EU and how great our time of membership has been...

When the amount of poverty/homelessness, still remaining, after 40+ years indicates otherwise...

And, is simply and absolutely not acceptable...

Seems to me the more layers of bureaucracy there is, the less the message that there's a problem at the bottom gets through...

D

Deleted member 15344

Because I am sick to the back teeth of hearing folk eulogising about the wonderfulness of the EU and how great our time of membership has been...

When the amount of poverty/homelessness, still remaining, after 40+ years indicates otherwise...

And, is simply and absolutely not acceptable...

Seems to me the more layers of bureaucracy there is, the less the message that there's a problem at the bottom gets through...

But who’s to say homelessness wouldn’t have increased to same level if we weren’t in the EU ?

Is being in the EU really something to use to blame for people being without a home ?

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am inclined to believe it wouldn't have...

The EU, like all other governments, seeks to look after business first...
Then seeks to dress it up like the 'deals' are good for people...
When they, patently, are not...

If their actions were working shouldn't there be an obvious rise in the lot for those further down the pecking order...
A bit of jam today would be in order rather than always having to wait until tomorrow...

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You asked me a direct question, and I answered it with a direct answer. Read it again and tell me where I did not " Say what I really mean".

Then to imply that I said it would be "better" if non UK were homeless so we can house UK homeless. Eh, who is dreaming now.

This is what you originally wrote.

This, it kills me that year after year we cannot deal with the problem of homeless people. Ex pats on the street amongst them. How can that be right. Yet we can find homes for non UK folk.

I was interested as to why you felt the need to compare the two. By saying we cannot deal with the problem and ex pats are on the street, but non UK folk are not, to me it suggested you were implying ex pats should get some kind of priority over housing and benefit compared to non UK folk, so I asked you if that is what you meant.

You then replied with this:

No, I am saying I think it is wrong that we have UK homeless people, yet non UK people have council houses ( and benefits ).

Which did't do anything to counter my thoughts that somehow UK homeless should have some kind of preferential treatment over non UK folk, which is why I responded with what I did.

What about this for an idea, tell me what you think, and I will tell you what I think. If we disagree, so be it. But I will not imply anything you say.

These non UK homeless, when they came from whatever country it was, were they homeless? If so why come here and pass on the problem to us when we already have a homeless problem. If they were not homeless in there country, why are they happy to come here and be homeless. If they came here to a job and are now homeless, Did they had a job in whatever country before. If so it is not genius to say " I have tried and it is not worked out".

Call me crazy if you like, but I'm fairly sure most people move to other countries, away from their homes and family because of the opportunity they think they are going to get. I'm fairly sure all of the scenarios you have listed above are valid in terms of some are probably down on their luck and homeless in their original country, some may have travelled many miles to escape conflict or something. I'm also sure that some may have been in a highly skilled job in their own country, but thought they could earn significantly more money in the UK for doing the same job, so came over looking for those opportunities. Perhaps they have families back home they want to send money to, so live in relative squalor to save all their cash to do that, who knows it's a fairly moot point to be honest as it wasnt the question I asked you.

With regards to them thinking, "I have tried and it has not worked out", you know we live on an island right? I'd be interested to know how you would return to your country with little or nothing to your name, especially if you have been in that country for 5 years or more and perhaps even think of it as your new home.

Using your son's situation as ancedotal evidence (because Australia is also an island right) doesn't mean that there are plenty of non UK people following the exact same process. I am sure there are 1000s of people, if not 100,000s who came to Britain for jobs and opportunity and have since left because it didn't work out, rather than intentionally make themselves homeless thinking, "it's alright this soft touch Britain will sort me out"

Like I said though, this is all fairly irrelevant as it is quite clear by corrolating UK homeless being on the street with non-uk homeless being off the street and having housing and benefit, you are suggesting that this wrong and ex pats should get the housing and benefit over the non-uk nationals. If that isn't what you are implying then I have no idea what you are trying to say with your original statement because it makes no sense

D

Deleted member 15344

I am inclined to believe it wouldn't have...

The EU, like all other governments, seeks to look after business first...
Then seeks to dress it up like the 'deals' are good for people...
When they, patently, are not...

If their actions were working shouldn't there be an obvious rise in the lot for those further down the pecking order...
A bit of jam today would be in order rather than always having to wait until tomorrow...
We would still have had our own government to look after businesses first

The country has been through a number of recessions for example which has caused a good number of people to lose their homes - and that’s not the fault of the EU - maybe we should look internally first before trying to blame the EU for everything

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
We would still have had our own government to look after businesses first

Would be one less lot of 'characters' to do their 'dodgy deals' with...

The country has been through a number of recessions for example which has caused a good number of people to lose their homes - and that’s not the fault of the EU - maybe we should look internally first before trying to blame the EU for everything

Then Westminster would be having to shoulder all of the responsibility rather than seek deflection onto Brussels...

Tab373

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
yes a lot more homeless in my area.this could be as there has been a lot of funding put in to combat this and they are told the area is set up well to support homeless. But according to the homeless shelter not one of these people should be on the streets. Now this is going to seem harsh but the centre has over 200 homes in the area that they can stay in. For a small fee not sure if it was £35 a week or month but some will not pay and spend it on Drugs. Was also told that Class A drugs are not such a problem if they OD because hospitals are set up to deal with this but the Spice drug is a major issue due to unknown ingredients. Locals are told not to give food or money to anyone on the street and to donate to the local food banks. this is because if you give money they can buy drugs or if you give them food they have more money to buy drugs. I am not saying that all are like this but it does seem strange someone would rather live on the street rather than a home.

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Shelter have released statistics showing in Brighton alone nearly 2,000 children will wake up on Christmas morning in temporary accommodation. There is an urgent (National) Shelter appeal for £3 donations by texting SHELTER to 70080

Not sure if this is in the rules, but if this has touched you as it has me, i'm sure any donations will be welcome.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Working in London every day, I would say there appears visually to be less. However that is most obviously down to the Romainians who have gone back to their places of birth for the winter before returning to carry on their begging and bathing in the fountains around Marble Arch and the like.
I will always buy a coffee and sandwich for a homeless person when I can, just as I always buy the Big Issue. The pronlem I have is have is when English isn't the native language and it's obvious that an Eastern European language is.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Working in London every day, I would say there appears visually to be less. However that is most obviously down to the Romainians who have gone back to their places of birth for the winter before returning to carry on their begging and bathing in the fountains around Marble Arch and the like.
I will always buy a coffee and sandwich for a homeless person when I can, just as I always buy the Big Issue. The pronlem I have is have is when English isn't the native language and it's obvious that an Eastern European language is.

Would you still give them the coffee?