Homlessness

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There are many reasons why people end up homeless and there are many reasons why people stay homeless for many many years from drink and drug abuse to mental health issues.

A large proportion of people who are homeless not due to mental health issues are because they literally have no one to turn to, either through their own actions or because they have no close family or friends who can support them. What these people need is support from organisations, but that costs money and there simply isn't enough available due to funding provided. There aren't enough spaces in hostels to house the homeless and people that should be cared for in mental health institutions can't take them in.

It's quite staggering that in a country like the UK we have such a homeless problem.

The only way to solve it really is by throwing a lot of money at the problem. Problem is trying to find somewhere that money comes from.

Better mental health care would also go someway to solving the issue.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
There are many reasons why people end up homeless and there are many reasons why people stay homeless for many many years from drink and drug abuse to mental health issues.

A large proportion of people who are homeless not due to mental health issues are because they literally have no one to turn to, either through their own actions or because they have no close family or friends who can support them. What these people need is support from organisations, but that costs money and there simply isn't enough available due to funding provided. There aren't enough spaces in hostels to house the homeless and people that should be cared for in mental health institutions can't take them in.

It's quite staggering that in a country like the UK we have such a homeless problem.

The only way to solve it really is by throwing a lot of money at the problem. Problem is trying to find somewhere that money comes from.

Better mental health care would also go someway to solving the issue.

We've had too many successive governments that don't get beyond saying what they're going to do...
Rather than actually getting on with actually acting on their worthless promises..

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
We've had too many successive governments that don't get beyond saying what they're going to do...
Rather than actually getting on with actually acting on their worthless promises..

This, it kills me that year after year we cannot deal with the problem of homeless people. Ex pats on the street amongst them. How can that be right. Yet we can find homes for non UK folk.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As I posted earlier, I never experienced people living on the street while growing up in this country. The first time I saw people begging was in Germany and also Southern Ireland in the 1980/1990's. So what has changed? I often get critics on this site saying that people like me want the country to return to the 1970's but if that seriously reduces the number of people living rough then why not. From my viewpoint the number of people living on the street is seriously reduced by the current welfare system, the difference between many of the homeless and others out of work is the benefit system and in many cases how many children someone has.

In the past there was a job available for just about everyone except maybe the severely disabled and if you were not prepared to take a job then the state considered you not fit for welfare, the point of welfare was to return you to employment. We seem to have created a country where we are prepared to accept the state subsidising people who are capable of working and filling the jobs they should be doing by importing labour from abroad. As long as we encourage a culture of entitlement and tolerate an economy that allows fake levels of prosperity through reckless state borrowing that is piling up debt that future generations will need to face up to we will have to accept the collateral damage on our streets.

D

Deleted member 16999

As I posted earlier, I never experienced people living on the street while growing up in this country. The first time I saw people begging was in Germany and also Southern Ireland in the 1980/1990's. So what has changed? I often get critics on this site saying that people like me want the country to return to the 1970's but if that seriously reduces the number of people living rough then why not. From my viewpoint the number of people living on the street is seriously reduced by the current welfare system, the difference between many of the homeless and others out of work is the benefit system and in many cases how many children someone has.

In the past there was a job available for just about everyone except maybe the severely disabled and if you were not prepared to take a job then the state considered you not fit for welfare, the point of welfare was to return you to employment. We seem to have created a country where we are prepared to accept the state subsidising people who are capable of working and filling the jobs they should be doing by importing labour from abroad. As long as we encourage a culture of entitlement and tolerate an economy that allows fake levels of prosperity through reckless state borrowing that is piling up debt that future generations will need to face up to we will have to accept the collateral damage on our streets.
Are you sure it’s down to importing labour? Hasn’t the amount of women in work risen by over 17% from the mid 70’s.
Maybe it’s also been impacted on by the rise in population and the fact people live longer.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Are you sure it’s down to importing labour? Hasn’t the amount of women in work risen by over 17% from the mid 70’s.
Maybe it’s also been impacted on by the rise in population and the fact people live longer.
I think so. I would suggest that the majority of jobs taken up by immigration are in the lower paid sector and many in the Hospitality sector where a great number are Women. If you travel around the UK then you will experience Eastern European Women working in many Hotels/Cafes/Restaurants etc. Just imagine the amount of jobs available if they were not filled by these immigrants. I do accept that more Women did stay at home and raise the Children whilst Men worked their bits off to support them, in contrast to the number of Women that raise Children on their own now while the Fathers completely abdicate their responsibilities. The State then pick up the bill.

D

Deleted member 16999

I think so. I would suggest that the majority of jobs taken up by immigration are in the lower paid sector and many in the Hospitality sector where a great number are Women. If you travel around the UK then you will experience Eastern European Women working in many Hotels/Cafes/Restaurants etc. Just imagine the amount of jobs available if they were not filled by these immigrants. I do accept that more Women did stay at home and raise the Children whilst Men worked their bits off to support them, in contrast to the number of Women that raise Children on their own now while the Fathers completely abdicate their responsibilities. The State then pick up the bill.
OK, just not sure is as simplistic as you say, but I’m sure the majority of women who did work in the 70’s worked just as hard as the majority of men.

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This, it kills me that year after year we cannot deal with the problem of homeless people. Ex pats on the street amongst them. How can that be right. Yet we can find homes for non UK folk.

Are you implying that non UK homeless folk get some kind of priority over British homeless?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Are you implying that non UK homeless folk get some kind of priority over British homeless?

No, I am saying I think it is wrong that we have UK homeless people, yet non UK people have council houses ( and benefits ).

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
OK, just not sure is as simplistic as you say, but I’m sure the majority of women who did work in the 70’s worked just as hard as the majority of men.
I believe it is as simple as I say. I didn't suggest they didn't work as hard as Men, I stated that many (even most) Women stopped working when they started a family.

D

Deleted member 16999

I believe it is as simple as I say. I didn't suggest they didn't work as hard as Men, I stated that many (even most) Women stopped working when they started a family.
But you did feel the need to say how hard men worked, just levelling the playing field.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
But you did feel the need to say how hard men worked, just levelling the playing field.
You seem to have missed the context of my comment. I explained that many Women finished work when starting a family and the Men in these families became the sole breadwinner. This does not suggest Women remaining in work didn't work hard.

D

Deleted member 16999

You seem to have missed the context of my comment. I explained that many Women finished work when starting a family and the Men in these families became the sole breadwinner. This does not suggest Women remaining in work didn't work hard.

No, I totally understood the context, I just didn’t see why you needed to add how hard the men worked, ie
“I do accept that more Women did stay at home and raise the Children whilst Men worked their bits off to support them”
When
“I do accept that more Women did stay at home and raise the Children whilst Men worked to support them”

Bottom one is just as effective to get your point across.

Last edited by a moderator:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
No, I totally understood the context, I just didn’t see why you needed to add how hard the men worked, ie
“I do accept that more Women did stay at home and raise the Children whilst Men worked their bits off to support them”
When
“I do accept that more Women did stay at home and raise the Children whilst Men worked to support them”

Bottom one is just as effective to get your point across.
OK whatever! if these semantics make you feel better then that's OK with me.

D

Deleted member 16999

Maybe if we changed our priorities, some of this money could be used to help solve the problem.

8815D527-0A52-4C92-B932-6F8AA695199F.jpg

Attachments

• 1AD70797-1919-43E1-9201-695122906071.jpg
    1AD70797-1919-43E1-9201-695122906071.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 1

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No, I am saying I think it is wrong that we have UK homeless people, yet non UK people have council houses ( and benefits ).
I'm not sure I see the correlation or why the two need to be discussed in the same sentence then.

You seem to be inferring that UK homeless people shouldn't be homeless if there are non UK people who are homed and receiving benefits. So by that point, you're suggesting it would be better if we had the non UK people left homeless and UK natives all housed, i.e. The homeless from the UK are a higher priority than those who are not (because we can't help everyone can we)

Don't be afraid to stand by your opinion. Say what you really mean.

Personally I like to think that help is offered to everyone on an equal basis and provided to those who are most needy and considered a priority, rather than the country they were accidentally born in. But then, I'm a dreamer.