Homlessness

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Remploy was losing £600m a year when the decision to close it down was made by Cameron's Tory govt. What wasn't factored in to the £600m loss was that at least 20% of the money paid to Remploy employees was returned to the govt via VAT. 5 years on and the vast majority of Remploy employees haven't found a job.

I feel closing Remploy down was a step too far in the belt tightening/austerity cuts.
Fully Agree. Tax and NI were also returned.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
In a rural area we never really see any problems then you look at the stats and it is obviously a problem.
Young homeless from the countryside escape to the cities, in many cases due to family problems or alcohol/drug dependencies.

To answer the OP's question.
I think the problem is that in the UK we have created a society driven by greed and status.
One thing I am certain of is that unless someone steps in soon it will not end well.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
As posted earlier, there has been a 60% increase in homelessness in the UK since 2010. The majority of that increase is by UK citizens who have fallen outside of the 'new' rules on housing benefit. The next largest nationality suffering homelessness in the UK, and by quite a margin, is (2nd generation)Polish, i.e. their parents already live in the UK.

Many EU migrants that lose their jobs, and are unable to cover their living costs return to their extended families in their home country.

The group with virtually no safety net of family are those from Africa and Asia, and in most cases do not have the safety net of benefits either.

The UK is the 4th best country in the EU, behind France, Germany and The Netherlands in terms of least homelessness. The 3 worst countries are Greece, by a country mile, and Italy and Spain. Greece, Italy and Spain are suffering very high levels of refugees from Asia and Africa.

The trending data clearly shows that the UK is sliding rapidly down the table when it comes to state funded infrastructure to eradicate homelessness and poverty.

user2010

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Is your life that empty for you to feel the need to contribute nothing more than pointing out spelling and grammar mistakes ?

What’s the point ? What does it achieve at the end of the day

Because it is really, really irritating when grown adults cannot spell the simplest and easiest words correctly, especially Golf related ones. This is a Golf forum after all isn't it?:rolleyes:
It's one of my bugbears, ok pal?
With spell checkers there really is no excuse for poor spelling now.:thup:
Just a lazy and can't be arsed attitude I suspect.:whistle:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Because it is really, really irritating when grown adults cannot spell the simplest and easiest words correctly, especially Golf related ones. This is a Golf forum after all isn't it?:rolleyes:

I work with a fantastic medical engineer who, when you receive an email, you have to speak to directly to find out what he means. Actually he's not an engineer anymore, he's moved up and up in his field. I'd say he's probably in the top 3 in this country in his field.

He's dyslexic, and very sensitive to criticism. It may be your bugbear, I hate text speak for that reason, but you need to learn some tolerance.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
In a rural area we never really see any problems then you look at the stats and it is obviously a problem.
Young homeless from the countryside escape to the cities, in many cases due to family problems or alcohol/drug dependencies.

To answer the OP's question.
I think the problem is that in the UK we have created a society driven by greed and status.
One thing I am certain of is that unless someone steps in soon it will not end well.

Well it's heading towards Christmas, the time when The Saviour was born, although I think you may be alluding to that old man in Red (not Santa) with, strangely like Jesus, a little goatee beard, who is advocating a distribution of wealth so that we can all live well. Trouble is, and I like what he is saying and he is warming to his task, he is fighting against hundreds of years of The System and will not be able to change this without a proper peoples revolution.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Not sure what homelessness has to do with golf.