Homlessness

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Has everyone noticed more and more people sleeping rough in their home town?

What's the root of the problem and possible solution?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
In all honesty no, not in my home town or nearest city, Newcastle. Having visited a number of other cities recently doing the university tours with my son I did notice an increase in beggars, Manchester was particularly bad. I believe the majority of issues relate to mental health so I wonder if there is a correlation between a reduction in mental health provision and support in certain areas and those sleeping rough. My understanding, highly limited, is that beds are available but many choose not to take them. I don't know how accurate that is.

I certainly feel for the people involved, it must be horrible.

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In all honesty no, not in my home town or nearest city, Newcastle. Having visited a number of other cities recently doing the university tours with my son I did notice an increase in beggars, Manchester was particularly bad. I believe the majority of issues relate to mental health so I wonder if there is a correlation between a reduction in mental health provision and support in certain areas and those sleeping rough. My understanding, highly limited, is that beds are available but many choose not to take them. I don't know how accurate that is.

I certainly feel for the people involved, it must be horrible.

I posted as i've just come back from Manchester for work and there seemed to be a significant problem where I was working (Town Hall).

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Recently - no, seen a slight decrease whilst walking through Bradford. Not sure if they get moved on before I get into town on a morning (7.30/45) but don't see that many in the normal places.

See the same homeless people in town and a few different people begging but not loads.

Mental health and drugs/booze obviously feature heavily in the reasons why they are now homeless.

Saw a lad that I used to know begging at the traffic lights last weekend, got into the wrong crowd, took the wrong thing and has been an addict for nearly 20 years now. Good lad from a decent family in a nice area of town but unfortunately got hooked on heroin and can't get clean.

xcore

Head Pro
Visit site
Not in my local town, regularly work in London and you still see quite afew hobos there. Once saw a full on brawl outside a job, like some sort of door way turf war!

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Yup deffo in Mansfield and Notts. When I have had nights in Manchester it is the same there unfortunately.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Always a lot in Edingburgh some foreign migrants ( who I always get the expression that they are being exploited) some ex servicemen and a few young people.

I don't know the reason why there's so many but it's sad to see.

I was educated about homeless people by my brother who's sadly no longer with us, he used to run a Karoke night every Xmas for free for the homeless in a rough part of London,and he told me that he spoke to people from many walks of life not just the poor, sometimes it's just bad luck for some.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Well said.

I used to do the soup kitchen on Christmas Day. Very sobering...

I think Hobbit the comment re Homelessness was aimed more at the spelling of homlessness rather than the plight of said homeless people. Was gonna say summat before this but ave gone past arguing with the spelling police.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
There seem to be less in the area these days. When I visit Cheltenham there seems to be the same couple of men that have been there for years. I have bought them a coffee and a sandwich in the past but they seem to just put them in the corner with half a dozen others.

I expect the reasons are numerous and impossible to eradicate but I do admire those that work to improve the lives of the less fortunate.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If anything, the number of homeless in Reading has seen more women in the last year or so. Most are foreign, but not all and none seem the typical, stereotypical youngster who ran away from home/care. Also seen an increase of the homeless loitering around the hospital, which can be a nuisance and keeps security busy.

I've said before I think it's a sad thing to see especially in this day and age but fully appreciative that there are many different reasons for it happening and something that is so hard to reduce. It's not something that will ever be eradicated irrespective of who is in power and how much money is or isn't put towards the problem.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think Hobbit the comment re Homelessness was aimed more at the spelling of homlessness rather than the plight of said homeless people. Was gonna say summat before this but ave gone past arguing with the spelling police.

There are some threads where being a knob is maybe acceptable...
However, there some where it's absolutely not acceptable...

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
To answer the OP, homelessness has risen 60% since 2010, when austerity measures(benefit cuts) were implemented. Quite often the homeless don't want to attract too much attention and, generally, try and find areas where they are less likely to be moved on. However bad you may think it is, by personal observations, its a lot worse in terms of the numbers out there.

The age group that has seen the largest rise is late teens/early 20's. The cynical reason behind this is when the govt cut the housing benefits for that age group it hoped to force a large percentage of them to return home.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
To answer the OP, homelessness has risen 60% since 2010, when austerity measures(benefit cuts) were implemented. Quite often the homeless don't want to attract too much attention and, generally, try and find areas where they are less likely to be moved on. However bad you may think it is, by personal observations, its a lot worse in terms of the numbers out there.

The age group that has seen the largest rise is late teens/early 20's. The cynical reason behind this is when the govt cut the housing benefits for that age group it hoped to force a large percentage of them to return home.
That's interesting. Why has this particular demographic been affected more than others. I am aware that many Ex-Service personnel have become homeless and this seems to be due to Mental Health issues, I wonder how many others are in this situation due to their mental health and how do we quantify what is a 'Mental Health' issue, is it alcoholism, Drug abuse, Upbringing or a plethora of mental issues like Autism, Dyslexia or Depression.

I cant remember seeing homelessness when growing up other than the occasional 'Tramp' or 'Gentleman of the road' who seemed to live that lifestyle by choice. Was that due to the norm then where almost everyone had a chance of full employment, if you were not prepared to accept a job then you were not entitled to benefits. There were organisations like 'Remploy' that created gainful employment for disabled people, especially those that were disabled War pensioners. My Father was one, he had his leg shattered while serving in Burma and after many years on the scrapheap was given a job at Remploy that returned him to full employment and the ability to support his family. How many of these people could find a new purpose in life by being returned to work , which is always the best way of raising people out of poverty.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Remploy was losing £600m a year when the decision to close it down was made by Cameron's Tory govt. What wasn't factored in to the £600m loss was that at least 20% of the money paid to Remploy employees was returned to the govt via VAT. 5 years on and the vast majority of Remploy employees haven't found a job.

I feel closing Remploy down was a step too far in the belt tightening/austerity cuts.